Depo Provera

Options
Hi all

Just wondering if any ladies have found that the depo shot has made you gain weight a lot easier?! I have gained 7lbs since having it in June and I'm NOT happy! Needless to say, I wont be having it again.

If anyone did experience this, how long did it take you to get back to normal and start to lose weight again?

Thanks
Kim

Replies

• Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Weight gain can happen...I've been on it for a few years now, and have lost weight...but I'm constantly counting my calories too......
  • skinnydreams88
    Options
    Thanks for your reply

I didnt have the jab again when it was due as this is obviously a major downside to the depo jab for me especially after losing 4 stone previously, do not wanna undo all my hard work! I read that the jab makes you feel hungrier, hence the weight gain, I felt like I was absolutely starving all the time and craved filling carbs. Not good. I think its slowly getting out of my system but I have to make sure I lose the pounds I've gained and then just keep going. Just hope it hasnt slowed my metabolism or anything :/
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm on depo,and I've lost a little over six pounds this month.

From what I understand, depo does not cause weight gain, BUT it can cause an appetite increase, which in turn does cause weight gain.

This isn't my first rodeo with depo, I've been on and off of it multiple times. I was on it for 3 years straight awhile back, and that was when I was at my lightest. For reference I'm 5'5" and at my lightest I was 125-130...for those three years on depo.

ETA: I then quit depo and had a baby.....THAT caused weight gain! Hahaha!
  • triceever
    Options
    I've been on it since I had my baby in February. I have gained at least 10-15 lbs. Everyone body is different....I seem to gain weight while using it.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've been on it going on 4 years now. I started it freshman year of college, so naturally I gained weight- but I can't say it was definitely the Depo that was responsible, college dining halls are the devil for the waistline. I steadily gained weight over my college years, but now I'm to the lightest I've ever been- and I'm still on it.

Maybe if you get the shot and don't watch what you eat and don't exercise it can lead to weight gain, but it's not going to hinder your weight-loss attempt- I've lost 28 pounds so far.
  • lisamariepickering
    Options
    I was on Depo in high school and I absolutely gained weight, 20 - 30 lbs. It can definitely increase your appetite. I was hungry - not just snacky but legitimately hungry - all the time. If nothing else in your life has changed except the Depo, than I'd say that was probably the culprit. I'm no expert, though. You should talk to your doctor.
  • skinnydreams88
    Options
    OK thank you all for the replies!!

Having babies certainly does cause weight gain lol. I've got 2 daughters and have the fat pics to show for it haha :)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I can't stand Depo and I would never recommend it (from my personal experience).
    Yes, I gained weight (not a significant amount) but it made me absolutely crazy! I kid you not, I had PMS for 3 months straight. I felt irritated, agitated, frustrated & cranky, every single day. Oh, and I got my period for the majority of the 3 months. It just didn't go away. It was lovely.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I only had one injection of Depo and while I didn't have any weight issues, I bled for a year after it wore off.
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for 2 months and I have lost weight, but I am also working at it.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I gained, and I was still running and watching what I ate. I tried it for a year and it never evened out, so I went off it, within 7 months I was back to where I had been.
  • StyxxandStones
    Options
    I talked with my dr. about this. He said it may increase appetite, but will absolutely NOT make you gain more easily, nor hold onto the weight. He says it's an excuse for a lot of women and they blame the shot, but it's not based on research at all.
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    I did the shots a few years back. Walked every day for 2 hours and ate healthy. I gained 20 pounds. As soon as i got off them I started to lose weight. Weight gain is a possible side effect of any birth control.
  • TraciStivers
    TraciStivers Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain weight with it but I bled like 20 days out of the month, completely random and unscheduled. It was horrible. The doctor kept telling me that my body had to get used to it. After a year I stopped getting the shot.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain weight with it but I bled like 20 days out of the month, completely random and unscheduled. It was horrible. The doctor kept telling me that my body had to get used to it. After a year I stopped getting the shot.

that was me too!!! I had my period, CONSTANTLY. I would have it for 2-3 weeks, then not for 4 days, then again for 2-3 weeks. It was so obnoxious. Having my period was birth control enough, I didn't need the shot if I was going to be on my period for months at a time.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I gained 15lbs on Depo in college. I had a constant period, a complete emotional wreck.
    I stuck with it for 1.5 years or so, and it was by far one of the worst decisions ever.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I talked with my dr. about this. He said it may increase appetite, but will absolutely NOT make you gain more easily, nor hold onto the weight. He says it's an excuse for a lot of women and they blame the shot, but it's not based on research at all.

so I still have the drug fact insert given to me from when I was on it, and weight gain is absolutely listed as a possible side effect, with 5.8 pounds being the average. bone density reduction is also one. possible side effects are listed by the FDA because they have been linked to a drug, but it does not mean everyone will experience it.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know who has ever used it, has had nightmare side effects. For me personally, I'm done with hormonal birth control. I like the Paragard IUD. Nothing at all to think about for ten years.
  • Jillian2128
    Jillian2128 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't remember how long I was on it but I gained 75 lbs rather quickly, it was AWFUL. I came off of it the end of august and i was down 60 lbs by Thanksgiving....this was way back in 2004 maybe

ETA...while on this I did in fact eat everything in sight bc it made me so hungry, so thats the reason I gained the weight but it came off so fast once I was no longer on it and i was back to normal with my eating.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for almost 6 years. I gained weight because I was sedentary and ate poorly, and that only started 3 years ago. Once I decided to get healthy, I had no problem losing weight. I also have no periods. I understand some women complain about Depo, but for me, I will be on it, and thin and healthy, until I am certain I am in menopause. It works perfectly with no side effects for me. Plus, I don't have to worry about having a teenager and a baby. I'm happy with my 12 year-old baby, but I'm done.