What counts as water

Options

Replies

• shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It all counts. Liquid is liquid. Some stuff isn't as good as others, and some stuff is outright terrible, but it all still counts towards the end of day total.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    i drink 2 - 3 cups of green tea everyday, i count that as water along with my regular water. i also count crystal lite as a water .
  • azjenny72
    azjenny72 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I count water as water. I stopped drinking crystal lite because even though it is "sugar free" I noticed that it was having an affect on my blood sugars. However when I did drink it, I didn't count it because it has calories as minimal as they may be.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    The experts disagree, so I don't expect MFP members to agree. What I have read is that the research suggests that it all counts, coffe, tea, juice, ect. It all counts as water. Even your food contributes to your water intake. So someone that eats salad all day has a much higher water intake than someone who doesn't eat much veggies or fruit. So, you can count a lot of that as water. And, therefore, you don't have to drink as much water.

I count coffee, tea, and water. I don't drink crystal light, but I would count that. I don't drink juice, but if I did, I would count that.

Read before you make an opinion. There is tons and tons written on this topic. You could take either side. For me, I don't view things as independant from other things. It's one big giant intake valve. Water is contined in those things, and the research suggests that the myth about coffee dehydration is just simply not true. There is a small teeny tiny bit of dehydration, but it
    IS almost so small that it is not detectable. Also, research suggests that if you eat a proper diet, including your veggies and fruits, you don't need 8 glasses of water. That is also a myth.

But, whatever your opinion is on this, it is not really that important. Do whatever you want.
  • kariinbliss
    Options
    i was wondering the same thing as well... i drink a bottle of crystal ice sparkling water (pomegrante flavored) each day instead of my usual diet pepsi. both have 0 calories, but is the water any better?
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I count water. Water is all I drink for the most part with the exception of my 45 calorie energy/vitamin drink. But I love my water so much, it is easy for me to be that way. Everything else is just gross to me.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I've heard it both ways. Only clear water in it's original form counts as water. But when I was in Weight Watchers, you could count a certain amount of ounces per day of things like Crystal Light or Mio as water. It was great for me back then because the zero calorie flavoring was the only thing that made the water palatable! :) I guess the question to ask would be, what is it in the water that we need so badly? Because if it's strictly the hydration, I'm not seeing how Crystal Light or Mio would affect that. I don't drink those items myself , but I could certainly argue in support of them.

I've heard it back and forth (even from those who would count Crystal Light as water) as to whether iced tea or coffee count. Some say the caffeine in them negates the value of the liquid because it dehydrates. If that's true, what about their decaffinated alternatives?

Currently, I'm only counting clear water as water. But when my water is low for the day (less than 64 ounces) I think back to other beverages I've consumed and figure they have to have had some benefit toward hydration.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    For hydration purposes? Any liquid and plenty of different foods. The "only water" myth has been dispelled many, many times. For my actual water counter? Just plain water, but only because I prefer it to the additives you could put it. However, the additives don't make the value of the water any less. It's just not nearly as big a deal as so many make it out to be. my $.02
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    To be fair her tea is just water with crystalized ginger in it. Mine is the herbal tea bags
  • CapeCodSheila
    CapeCodSheila Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If it's decaf, non-carbonated and minimal calories, I count it as water. That's from my old WW life.
    I don't count tea or coffee if I put anything but sweetener in it
    Funny how many opinions there are on this. great topic
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I actually talked to my doctor about this and you are correct. Only water counts as water. She said things like crystal light and tea (even with out adding anything to the tea) takes away from the purity of the water and does add things to our bodies that we don't necessarily need.

I like your doctor.
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Water = plain or flavored water...0 calories
    Vitamin Water I log as my drink, but don't count as my water tally.

Coffee and tea I log as normal and do not count as water.
    They generally have 2-5 calories/cup.
  • daryabella
    Options
    As long as what you're putting into it is not caffeinated... I like to drink herbal tea for that reason.
  • sunshine2212677
    sunshine2212677 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i drink black decaff coffee, and i count that as a water.
    it pretty much has nothing in it, and as its decaff it doesnt make you retain water.
    anything else i add to water i count as snacks
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Water counts as water. Otherwise, it's called something else and should be counted that way.
  • sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    I count just water and green tea I dont count normal tea but I always have milk with that so it wouldnt anyway
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Her side.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    One oxygen and two hydrogen atoms connected by covalent bonds
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    I personally dont count anything with caffeine like non-herbal teas or coffee as water. Also, if its sugary, not water. So that leafs (teehee) herbal teas, water, and 0 calorie drinks like crystal light and no caffeine sodas. Just my opinion. Do keep in mind the more water you drink though, the better. Some people will tell you only count water as water I think in the end this results in more liquids being consumed which is good too :smile:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Count what you like, but pretty much anything with h2o content is hydrating. (Coffee, diet soda, a bunch of grapes, teas, water with crystal light in it, milk, blood, whatever.)

All these rules of thumb like 'only if it has 0 calories' or 'is clear' are just regurgitated meaningless silliness.

It's all mixed when it hits your stomach anyway.