Anyone tried this...?

Options

Replies

• Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    besides the whole its unhealthy thing..

who in the heck WILLINGLY eats cabbage. much less cabbage soup, can you say GROSS!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Hey! how did i get in here?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    In....

...to learn more about the incredible health benefits of extreme fasting and other "cleanses".

I'm also anxious to learn how much excess material has accumulated on the walls of my intestines and how depriving myself of all but a very short list of foods will cause my liver to do something magical.

Also interested in the chemical structure of said toxins.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Other folks have already summed it up for you. I'll add my $.02.

If it isn't something that you will stick with for many, many years, then it's not worth doing. Learn how to eat using MFP. You will find that by tracking everything you will be able to enjoy most of your favorite foods and not feel guilty about it.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you read this.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/detox-diets-purging-myths

I do not usually link to webmd - but its a good write up.

ETA: Summary

"Touted as a way to remove harmful toxins in the body and promote weight loss, detox diets are hotter than ever. Hollywood stars do it days before gracing the red carpet, Dr. Oz has his own formula, spa retreats feature them, and many diet books are based on detox beliefs.

But despite the popularity of detox diets, nutrition experts say they are not necessary nor are they scientifically proven to work.

Fasting to detoxify and lose weight is not necessary, says Frank Sacks, MD, a leading epidemiologist at the Harvard School of Public Health. "There is no basis in human biology that indicates we need fasting or any other detox formula to detoxify the body because we have our own internal organs and immune system that take care of excreting toxins," Sacks says."

there you go again with your facts ;)
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

"Touted as a way to remove harmful toxins in the body and promote weight loss, detox diets are hotter than ever. Hollywood stars do it days before gracing the red carpet, Dr. Oz has his own formula, spa retreats feature them, and many diet books are based on detox beliefs.

But despite the popularity of detox diets, nutrition experts say they are not necessary nor are they scientifically proven to work.

Fasting to detoxify and lose weight is not necessary, says Frank Sacks, MD, a leading epidemiologist at the Harvard School of Public Health. "There is no basis in human biology that indicates we need fasting or any other detox formula to detoxify the body because we have our own internal organs and immune system that take care of excreting toxins," Sacks says."

So one doctor (Oz) is for it while another (Sacks) is against it. Which Doctor do I trust Hmmmm? Fact is you can find just as many so called "studies" on this subject that are both for and against it. I am sure we could all copy and paste something from the web that would help to support our own personal opinions if we wanted.

I think its pretty obvious that diets are not good for the long term however IMO I do beleive that giving the body a chance to detox once or twice a year is beneficial.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

So one doctor (Oz) is for it while another (Sacks) is against it. Which Doctor do I trust Hmmmm? Fact is you can find just as many so called "studies" on this subject that are both for and against it. I am sure we could all copy and paste something from the web that would help to support our own personal opinions is we wanted.

I think its pretty obvious that diets are not good for the long term however IMO I do beleive that giving the body a chance to detox once or twice a year is beneficial.

I hope to detox a couple times a day. You need more fiber!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

So one doctor (Oz) is for it while another (Sacks) is against it. Which Doctor do I trust Hmmmm? Fact is you can find just as many so called "studies" on this subject that are both for and against it. I am sure we could all copy and paste something from the web that would help to support our own personal opinions if we wanted.

Frank Sacks, MD, "a leading epidemiologist at the Harvard School of Public Health" is against it.

Oz is for it...nuff said!

Also, you may want to actually click into the link - there was more than one actual doctor against them, who are also from a relevant field, which Oz is not, and who are not trying to sell something, which Oz is.

ETA: Article from the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/detox-diets/AN01334
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I tried that years ago! yes it works but, you would have to eat that way for the rest of your life! As soon as you go off you gain! Honey, there is no easy way out when it comes to losing weight. Just keep moving!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Huh?

Please tell me you use slightly more discernment than this in determining what is truly good/bad.

So what are these toxins you think you are detoxing with an extreme calorie restricted diet? Where are those toxins currently in your body, and how does this special diet encourage them to leave?

I'm not a doctor, but what I do know about the human body is getting in the way of understanding how this is supposed to work.

(And for others saying this "works" short term...what exactly are you saying? That extreme calorie deprivation leads to short-term weight loss? Yeah, I think we can all agree that happens. Or that you believe this short-term weight loss is somehow correlated with reduced toxins in your body? If so, measured how?)
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Instead of doing a fad diet that's not healthy for you, why don't you just start eating right today? Right now. Log your food. All of it. Eat healthy food. Exercise, move more. Treat yourself once in a while so you don't feel like you're on a DIET! Make room for treats by doing a little extra exercise if you have to. If you feel like you're on a diet, you'll feel deprived and crave stuff, give in and perhaps binge. Care about your body and nourish it instead of starving it. You cannot maintain a 'diet'. A diet is temporary. Eating right and moving more is a lifestyle.

If you can't do all of that at once, start slow. Log food first. Recognize what is not healthy for you. Start walking, but walk slow so you don't get burnt out. Or do whatever exercise you'd like. Then start eating healthier. Then move more. You get the drift.

Good luck and I hope you figure out a way to get you on track. <hugs>

^ You took the words right out of my mouth! :wink:

A year ago August, I started logging, not worried about hitting a calorie target, but I wanted to see when and what I was eating, so that I could be aware! As I realized how many calories some things were, I started making small and seemingly insignificant changes. After a few weeks started a little exercise (seriously... 15 to 20 minutes 2-3 times a week). I eat everything and anything in moderation... there is nothing that I am not allowed to eat. I exercise 5-6 days a week, and have managed to go from a 22 in jeans to the size 4 that I am wearing right now.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I attribute my success to identifying nonsense such as "The Cabbage Soup" diet as pure nonsense that only a fool would subscribe to. Don't give it a second thought.
  • jesse1379
    Options

Huh?

Please tell me you use slightly more discernment than this in determining what is truly good/bad.

So what are these toxins you think you are detoxing with an extreme calorie restricted diet? Where are those toxins currently in your body, and how does this special diet encourage them to leave?

I'm not a doctor, but what I do know about the human body is getting in the way of understanding how this is supposed to work.

(And for others saying this "works" short term...what exactly are you saying? That extreme calorie deprivation leads to short-term weight loss? Yeah, I think we can all agree that happens. Or that you believe this short-term weight loss is somehow correlated with reduced toxins in your body? If so, measured how?)

I was merely referring to cleansing of the digestive system. Its pretty obvious to me that if you stop eating for a 2-3 days and drink lots of liquid, and eat lots of fiber during that time that it will eliminate a lot of waste that otherwise would be stuck in there without the extra help. Its why they call Fiber natures broom. Fiber comes in many forms which is why I said the cabbage soup diet sounded more like a cleanse to me. Why? Because Cabbage is very high in fiber.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    besides the whole its unhealthy thing..

who in the heck WILLINGLY eats cabbage. much less cabbage soup, can you say GROSS!
    I would eat it and tell myself that I was one of the orphan kids in Oliver! And then I would go over to the pot to hold my bowl with a pathetically distraught look on my face and say "Please, sir...I'd like some more...?" to no one. But then I'd give myself more, and it would be just like those Mormon commercials. Or Jehovah's Witness...whichever ones do the " ___________. Pass it on." commercials.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

This guy thinks that Dr. Oz is a real doctor. Enough said!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    water + water + green = green diarrhea.

wow. great diet.

maybe try the laxative diet next.

or the amputation diet - won't cost you an arm and a leg, just one of the two.
  • jesse1379
    Options

This guy thinks that Dr. Oz is a real doctor. Enough said!

He IS a doctor.

Dr. Oz is vice-chair and professor of surgery at Columbia University.
    He directs the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program at NewYork–Presbyterian Hospital.
    His research interests include heart replacement surgery, minimally invasive cardiac surgery, complementary medicine and healthcare policy.
    He has authored over 400 original publications, book chapters and medical books and has received several patents.
    He performs over 300 heart operations annually.

Usually I have to try harder to make you look stupid. Thanks for saving me the trouble this time:)
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    One of the benefits of moderate weight loss are the lessons you learn about how to control your food intake in a sustainable manner.

The big reason crash diets like this are bound to fail is that you never really learn anything, other than how to crash diet. So now you know two things: 1) How to eat in the way that made you fat, 2) how to crash diet. Since that's all you know, that's the cycle you end up repeating.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Well said.