Anyone tried this...?

Options

Replies

• ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I too would consider that more of a fast/cleanse than a diet. But I am a believer in the occasional fast or cleanse. I think they are beneficial in moderation.

Totally agree. They are not intended to be used as a diet, but as a cleanse, or as part of a metabolic reset.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Instead of doing a fad diet that's not healthy for you, why don't you just start eating right today? Right now. Log your food. All of it. Eat healthy food. Exercise, move more. Treat yourself once in a while so you don't feel like you're on a DIET! Make room for treats by doing a little extra exercise if you have to. If you feel like you're on a diet, you'll feel deprived and crave stuff, give in and perhaps binge. Care about your body and nourish it instead of starving it. You cannot maintain a 'diet'. A diet is temporary. Eating right and moving more is a lifestyle.

If you can't do all of that at once, start slow. Log food first. Recognize what is not healthy for you. Start walking, but walk slow so you don't get burnt out. Or do whatever exercise you'd like. Then start eating healthier. Then move more. You get the drift.

Good luck and I hope you figure out a way to get you on track. <hugs>

I do eat healthy. I eat VERY healthy. I'm not overweight because I am not a healthy person. I had some MAJOR health problems over the past couple years and all the meds, steroids, etc caused me to put on weight. I have already taken 20 pounds off -- just trying to take off the rest in between all the other medical problems I am still facing.

<hugs to you as well>
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    I attribute my success to identifying nonsense such as "The Cabbage Soup" diet as pure nonsense that only a fool would subscribe to. Don't give it a second thought.

I would encourage you not to knock it until you've tried it. It really does help in the "reset button" sort of way. You feel quite healthy and "clean" once it's over.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    Other folks have already summed it up for you. I'll add my $.02.

If it isn't something that you will stick with for many, many years, then it's not worth doing. Learn how to eat using MFP. You will find that by tracking everything you will be able to enjoy most of your favorite foods and not feel guilty about it.

Thank you. I do know how to eat and be healthy. However, it's nice to do a "cleanse" once in awhile, isn't it?
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    Is there a recipe for cabbage soup?

Here's the recipe: http://www.cabbage-soup-diet.com/recipe/

it's actually an extremely tasty soup --- my entire family enjoys eating it when i make it. All it is is a glorified veggie soup with V8 juice and whatever spices and veggies you want to put in it. the cabbage gives it an awesome flavor as well!
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    I too would consider that more of a fast/cleanse than a diet. But I am a believer in the occasional fast or cleanse. I think they are beneficial in moderation.

Thank you. You're right.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    personally i wouldn't think thats too healthy. and what happens after the 7 days? will it make you BINGE and wanna eat everything in sight? i myself would never try this.

what happens after the 7 days is that you feel healthier and "cleaner" --- no, you don't binge afterwords. You go back to your normal healthy eating plan. All this really is is a cleanse--- not really a diet, per say.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    Just curious if anyone has ever tried the 7-day Cabbage Soup Diet and had success?

I have done it twice (the first time I cheated half-way through and the second time I successfully completed it). I saw weight-loss both times I did it, and I believe I maintained what I lost --- at first. And then I cheated and started eating whatever I wanted again. *sigh*

I have heard that you can lose up to 10 pounds in the 7 days, but that it's all mostly water-weight. I have heard that the diet is more like a cleanse --- and it really does work in that way.

Has anyone done it before and had success? How much did you lose? Would you do the diet again?

I'm thinking about doing it again next week as a sort of a "hitting the reset button" type of thing as I get started into MFP.

Anyone have any thoughts on this...?

It's obviously not successful if you tried it twice before and here you are in the same boat trying to lose weight again. Do it the sensible way. There's no need to torture yourself and your digestive system with all that watered down cabbage!!!! Eat healthy meals and exercise, make this a lifestyle choice and you won't be here a year from now pondering cabbage quick fixes.

I believe I've stated why i'm in the "boat trying to lose weight" in many other posts -- and it has nothing to do with the success or failure of a cabbage soup diet. They were successful both times I tried the diet --- I maintained the weight I lost until I stopped dieting completely about a month after each time i did the cabbage soup cleanse.

I do know what it takes to lose weight. I lost 20 pounds earlier this year over a period of about 3-4 months. It's not easy, so I'm not looking for quick fixes. I understand all that. I was simply asking if anyone else had tried it and what they're thoughts were on it. I wasn't seeking medical advice from people who still haven't arrived themselves.

everyone calm down.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    Diets don't work... A healthy lifestyle works!

This could not be any more true. Thank you!
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    There are many recipes on line for cabbage soup. It is not really bad....you have to look at it as a cleanse and not long term. You will lose weight.:smile:

Thank you. :)
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    Never tried that one, but I tried jump-starting a diet with the hot lemonade, maple syrup, and cayenne cleanse years ago. I lost 8 pounds in a week but put it right back on by 2-3 weeks after that. It seems that the desire to eat grows exponentially with "diets" like this.

That sounds like an interesting cleanse. Did it taste weird? And how exactly did this thing work?
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    besides the whole its unhealthy thing..

who in the heck WILLINGLY eats cabbage. much less cabbage soup, can you say GROSS!

*raises hand* O_o

I actually like cabbage. The health benefits of cabbage are out of this world. Not to mention that the cabbage gives the veggie soup an amazing flavor!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I love eating the cabbage soup from the diet - totally tasty and comforting in cold and damp weather...but I haven't tried the diet and likely wouldn't. You essentially lose weight because you are only eating 200-400 calories a day. And I would probably pass out at those low levels. There are many religions that fast for longer than 7 days with no ill effect, so I don't see how it could cause any long term damage if you don't have any other health issues to be concerned about.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Heard of it, yes
    Tried it, no

A friend tried it a few years ago and lost over 20 lbs. He gained back over 30lbs within 90 days after finishing this "diet".

I have had more success with trying to improve my life style. By eating better and exercising regularly, I lost close to 90lbs in 2011. We are in the last few months of 2012 and I have gained nothing back.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options

Totally agree. They are not intended to be used as a diet, but as a cleanse, or as part of a metabolic reset.

Agreed. Thank you!
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    I love eating the cabbage soup from the diet - totally tasty and comforting in cold and damp weather...but I haven't tried the diet and likely wouldn't. You essentially lose weight because you are only eating 200-400 calories a day. And I would probably pass out at those low levels. There are many religions that fast for longer than 7 days with no ill effect, so I don't see how it could cause any long term damage if you don't have any other health issues to be concerned about.

True. My dad once did a 40-day fast.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    Heard of it, yes
    Tried it, no

A friend tried it a few years ago and lost over 20 lbs. He gained back over 30lbs within 90 days after finishing this "diet".

I have had more success with trying to improve my life style. By eating better and exercising regularly, I lost close to 90lbs in 2011. We are in the last few months of 2012 and I have gained nothing back.

That's awesome!! Congratulations!! :)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of cleanses; I don't think they are necessary. Nor do I like diets that require you to eat a whole lot of just one thing. If you want to 'reset' and need a structured diet to that, I prefer the first phase of Dr. Ian's Fat Smash Diet. It lasts 9 days and the food is healthier. All the veggies and legumes you want. NO alcohol, caffeine, dairy, processed carbs or meat. It is meant to break you of bad eating habits. The next phases gradually add things back in to create a healthy lifestyle. Anyway, might be worth checking out.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    I'm not a fan of cleanses; I don't think they are necessary. Nor do I like diets that require you to eat a whole lot of just one thing. If you want to 'reset' and need a structured diet to that, I prefer the first phase of Dr. Ian's Fat Smash Diet. It lasts 9 days and the food is healthier. All the veggies and legumes you want. NO alcohol, caffeine, dairy, processed carbs or meat. It is meant to break you of bad eating habits. The next phases gradually add things back in to create a healthy lifestyle. Anyway, might be worth checking out.

I will definitely check it out! Thank you!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you read this.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/detox-diets-purging-myths

I do not usually link to webmd - but its a good write up.

ETA: Summary

"Touted as a way to remove harmful toxins in the body and promote weight loss, detox diets are hotter than ever. Hollywood stars do it days before gracing the red carpet, Dr. Oz has his own formula, spa retreats feature them, and many diet books are based on detox beliefs.

But despite the popularity of detox diets, nutrition experts say they are not necessary nor are they scientifically proven to work.

Fasting to detoxify and lose weight is not necessary, says Frank Sacks, MD, a leading epidemiologist at the Harvard School of Public Health. "There is no basis in human biology that indicates we need fasting or any other detox formula to detoxify the body because we have our own internal organs and immune system that take care of excreting toxins," Sacks says."

there you go again with your facts ;)

So one doctor (Oz) is for it while another (Sacks) is against it. Which Doctor do I trust Hmmmm? Fact is you can find just as many so called "studies" on this subject that are both for and against it. I am sure we could all copy and paste something from the web that would help to support our own personal opinions if we wanted.

I think its pretty obvious that diets are not good for the long term however IMO I do beleive that giving the body a chance to detox once or twice a year is beneficial.

Huh?

Please tell me you use slightly more discernment than this in determining what is truly good/bad.

So what are these toxins you think you are detoxing with an extreme calorie restricted diet? Where are those toxins currently in your body, and how does this special diet encourage them to leave?

I'm not a doctor, but what I do know about the human body is getting in the way of understanding how this is supposed to work.

(And for others saying this "works" short term...what exactly are you saying? That extreme calorie deprivation leads to short-term weight loss? Yeah, I think we can all agree that happens. Or that you believe this short-term weight loss is somehow correlated with reduced toxins in your body? If so, measured how?)

I was merely referring to cleansing of the digestive system. Its pretty obvious to me that if you stop eating for a 2-3 days and drink lots of liquid, and eat lots of fiber during that time that it will eliminate a lot of waste that otherwise would be stuck in there without the extra help. Its why they call Fiber natures broom. Fiber comes in many forms which is why I said the cabbage soup diet sounded more like a cleanse to me. Why? Because Cabbage is very high in fiber.

What makes you think you have "waste that otherwise would be stuck in there without the extra help"? I believe the thinking of fiber as a beneficial cleaning agent has changed somewhat recently to being seen as more of a potentially irritating gut abrasive. Fiber certainly doesn't seem to be as highly correlated with gut health as we were once led to believe, at least for those with a reasonable regular diet.

And what you are describing sounds more like a "fast" than a "cleanse".