Do you have a breakfast staple that's NOT oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've officially become sick of oatmeal & I've decided I want to start making healthy breakfast sandwiches like so:
    Thomas Light English Muffins - 100 calories, 8g fiber, 5g protein
    One poached egg - 70 calories, 6g protein
    One slice sargento lowfat provolone cheese - 50 calories, 6g protein
    One slice of canadian bacon - 30 calories, 5g protein
    TOTAL: 250 calories, 8g fiber, 22g protein

Less calories and WAY better macros than I get from a bowl of oatmeal, even when I add flaxseed (which I tried this morning & was disgusted). I'm thinking I might prepare 6 of these at a time, then store them in the freezer for easy microwave readiness. I'm sure they will keep me full longer than my usual bowl of oatmeal does too.

Anyways, do any of you guys eat anything else besides oatmeal as a staple breakfast? If so how do you prepare it quickly & easily?

Yum! I'm definitely going to try this! My go-to breakfast is either Fage Greek nonfat yogurt with honey with a hard boiled egg, or two slices whole grain, reduced calorie toast with 2 T natural chunky peanut butter. The pb toast holds me over for hours!
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm liking these posts. I think I will opt for some egg options as well.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Egg muffins

1 cup egg whites
    3-4 large whole eggs
    5-6 strips of bacon, cooked
    1 lb ground chicken, cooked
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1/4 cup part skim mozzarella cheese

This is just what I use - you can use any meats, cheeses, and vegetables you like.

Mix it all together, grease a muffin pan and spoon in the mixture evenly. Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, until the tops are a bit brown. They keep in the fridge for up to a week and microwave quickly. Depending on what I put in them, I've had them come in between 60 and 125 calories per muffin. High in protein and super satisfying!
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    2 boiled eggs
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    bagel thin, 1 egg, turkey sausage and pepperjack cheese --- a sandwich with a little bite
  • WilhelmCF
    WilhelmCF Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I never got tired of oatmeal because I never relied on it as a sole source breakfast. I think that is the solution to falling off the wagon of single source diets. Vary what you eat, there are alternatives. I have oatmeal rotated with various low sugar, whole grain cereals, and white egg omelettes with the occasional slice of cheese and some onion and garlic . The same goes for lunch, dinner and snacks. Vary and you wont get bored and you won't have to fight the urge to lose hope.
  • lhs1965
    lhs1965 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Almond butter on sandwich thins and a piece of fruit.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    2 3 minute eggs. Put 2 eggs in cold water and turn on high. When the water comes to a rolling boil time for 3 minutes. Yank off stove and pour boiling water down the drain. Immediately run cold water over the eggs. Also has an added advantage of melting any grease that might have been in the pipe before. 140 calories

2 scrambled eggs with peppers, onion, and cheese. Chop 1 ounce pepper (green or jalapeno as you wish) and 1 ounce onion. Put in pan with 1/2 cup of water. When water is boiled away add 2 eggs and scramble. Add 1/2 an ounce of grated cheese just before done. ~250 calories

1 ounce of cheese. 110 calories

My daughter has a piece of fruit most mornings. Her preference is Asian pear, apple, or orange. Depends on the size of the fruit. She doesn't count calories.
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm trying to put on weight so I have a big bowel of oats with honey or 4 wheatabix, with 6 scrambled eggs (3 full, 3 white only)

If I was trying to loose weight I'd simply have 2 full eggs and 2 egg whites scrambled
  • PatrickCoyle
    PatrickCoyle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Turkey Bacon, I have it very morning without fail.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Baked oatmeal is my favorite, but when I'm not eating my bakes oatmeal bars, then it's the weekend or holiday and I'm probably eating sweet rolls and/or a protein bar or something. Sometimes I like scrambled eggs with mushrooms and peppers, onions, and cheese. Occasionally, I'll eat cereal, but usually when I'm eating cereal it's right before bedtime.

I used to eat biscuits and gravy all the time. It's still my favorite. If I'm at a restaurant, I'll eat poached eggs as a sandwich.

ETA: For the record, I *HATE* oatmeal, unless it's baked. I love it baked, so it's been my staple for the last month or so. I will NOT eat it mushy. I don't care what kind of fruit or sugar you put in it, it's still mushy yuck! :tongue:
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Egg whites, turkey, on a whole wheat wrap or whole wheat toast with Sriracha.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i can't help it but i LOVE biscotti and coffee in the morning. terrific flavors.....I'm guessing NO nutritional value... but good for my soul.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Sausage, Bacon, Eggs, Cheese, Salad with full fat dressing... then again I'm on Keto so that may not apply for you :)
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    cream of brown rice cereal,
    spelt (just like oatmeal but better :))
    egg whites with turkey bacon
    egg white omelet with veggies
    kale smoothie (kale, lemon juice, half apple, hot water and stevia)
    peanut butter with rye bread
    Vega shake
    Ruth's Chia goodness cereal with almond milk. (way better warm)
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    thx bump
  • kel_bucs99
    Options
    I do Egg Mugs all the time. They're quick easy and you can play around with them to your pasrticular taste. They take a MAX of 5 minutes to prepare in the morning. You can google Egg Mugs, but here is one of my staple recipes:

1/2 cup egg beaters
    1 oz raw spinach
    1 wedge laughing cow light swiss

You take a coffee mug (or anything you wish) and do a quick spray with cooking spray. Add raw spinach and microwave for 30 seconds. It will be wilted. Add the egg beaters and dice up the swiss cheese.. add spices if you wish (i like garlic powder and pepper). Micro for 40 seconds, stir, 40 seconds, stir and maybe another 20 seconds. You can do so many variations. I also like:

1/2 cup egg beaters
    1 slice turkey
    1 wedge laughing cow light french onion
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've officially become sick of oatmeal & I've decided I want to start making healthy breakfast sandwiches like so:
    Thomas Light English Muffins - 100 calories, 8g fiber, 5g protein
    One poached egg - 70 calories, 6g protein
    One slice sargento lowfat provolone cheese - 50 calories, 6g protein
    One slice of canadian bacon - 30 calories, 5g protein
    TOTAL: 250 calories, 8g fiber, 22g protein

Less calories and WAY better macros than I get from a bowl of oatmeal, even when I add flaxseed (which I tried this morning & was disgusted). I'm thinking I might prepare 6 of these at a time, then store them in the freezer for easy microwave readiness. I'm sure they will keep me full longer than my usual bowl of oatmeal does too.

Anyways, do any of you guys eat anything else besides oatmeal as a staple breakfast? If so how do you prepare it quickly & easily?

Post Gym staple:
    1 poached egg, 2 rashers of Tesco healthy Living range bacon medallions (rashers in a circle!!!) half a small tin of heinz beans, plus small glass of OJ
    Fills me up as I leave for the gym around 06:15 so I am totes starving when I get back.

Rest day tends to be either half a grapefruit, or Greek yoghurt & honey.
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm liking some of the ideas on here... My go-to breakfast lately has been:

Egg, Goat Cheese & Chive omelet
    2 eggs (Could substitute 3 or 4 egg whites if you'd like)
    Little bit of sea salt
    Fresh ground black pepper

Make an omlet using non-stick spray or olive oil. I usually cover the pan when I add the eggs to help cook faster. When you flip the omelet let it sit for 15 seconds and add 1 ounce of goat cheese crumbles to one side, spreading evenly. Add a tablespoon or two of chives to taste, fold the omelet and turn off the heat, covering to allow the cheese to melt a little.

It's delicious and has about 230 calories (I just learned that black pepper has calories, thank you MFP). I like my eggs with ketchup, so use Heinz reduced sugar ketchup though it's good without.

Have you tried the orowheat 100 calorie whole wheat sandwich thins? They taste great and have 5 grams of fiber per bun if you're looking for a good sandwhich option.
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Sick of oatmeal myself!