Gamer Girls Need Exercise Too :O

Options
Hello... This would be my first time posting on a fitness website. A friend of mine who is actually trying to gain weight suggested this website, and the app. I just started using it yesterday and it's a bit awkward sometimes. I tend to want to plan out my next day of food, but the "Finished logging" button is very enticing since it lets me know that I could lose X AMOUNT in X TIME every time I log my food.

So I'm a PC gamer and I work in a call centre so I don't get out much. I'm not usually the type to actually exercise or diet, but I'm giving it a try because I want to incorporate that into my lifestyle. It's hard some days when all you want to do is level but you need to work out too! D: I'm also a very picky eater, so organizing my meals so that they are healthy and diverse and low in calories gets difficult. I have problems with using too much salt, I used to drink pepsi like it was water, and I'm addicted to junk food and chocolate bars.

Any tips and any one else on here who's interested in gaming too? :)

Replies

• shiraLA
    shiraLA Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just got into gaming not too long ago. I think that if I had more time, I would never leave my room! haha I am also a junk food addict and can't live without chocolate! :tongue:
  • Ribbons390
    Options
    Hello! :)

What sort of games have you gotten into? Most of the ones I play were introduced to me by my ex-boyfriend. He and I still play together. I find that I can play for a long time, but I still have a rather short attention span and can't last all day like my other friends do. That may be a blessing, considering that I want to start being a bit more active.

Once I move back home I hope to take up activities that help me LEAVE my room. Haha. :)
  • FeFear
    FeFear Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My only tip is that if you really like chocolate, you shouldn't cut it out entirely, but try to decrease the amount you eat. I've gone from eating a regular bar a day to like a freddo (only 15g of chocolate) every 2 days. Except for this weekend, but that is a minor blip :P Usually if I try going cold turkey I break and scoff down like a billion bars.

I like gaming! I have done for years but my selection/favs run a bit on the limited side :D (are you on steam?)
  • Ribbons390
    Options
    I am on Steam. :) Right now I got back into WOW so I'm leveling a Panda Shaman. I am in love with League of Legends and Left for Dead will always be my all time favorite. I think my user name on steam is Ribbons123.

I saw a funny picture a while ago of those pill containers for "Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc..." that people use to keep track of their pills. Although in this image they had a piece of chocolate in each day instead of pills. Haha. :)

Yeah I am trying to cut back on my Pepsi and my chocolate in take. I'm trying to eat things that are healthy that include chocolate, like maybe a muffin or a granola bar or something like that.
  • FeFear
    FeFear Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh I play L4D (and L4D2), its one of the few multiplayer games i'm not scared of being terrible at, haha. I shall add you tomorrow because I'm off to bed very soon!

Haha, the shocking thing is I think that the pill container would be such a good idea (it'd be like a year-long advent calendar!). I find that you have to be careful with things with chocolate in though - sometimes they can be worse, sugar wise, than eating the chocolate on its own. I once tried to switch from milk chocolate to dark chocolate, cause the bitterness meant that I couldn't eat as much and its 'better' for you than milk. It only worked for so long though :(

Chocolate cravings are the only problem I have these days. I gave up fizzy drinks in my preteens cause they started giving me headaches, so I'm used to just drinking tea and water. Crisps aren't appealing because I'm not a potato fan.
  • lisablah
    Options
    I had to laugh when I read your post because it could have been me writing it a couple of years ago. I got hooked on wow many years ago and having 2 teenage sons that now play it only made it more difficult to kick the habit. Also my chocolate addiction was out of control! Or I had this really bad habit of getting the biggest glass of milk and the biggest pack of oreo's and sitting there infront of the pc for sometimes 2-3 hours :noway: Slowly but surely the weight crept on and BOOM I woke up with 40kgs to lose.
    So now I have no gaming, no chocolate in my life, well unless the weight watchers chocolate dessert is considered the same. I think I have some kind of obsessive personality whereas I can't do things a little, I need to go overboard, so rather than just cut down both a little, I quit both completely, and these days both my teenage sons and I go out hiking rather than sit down and 'raid'. And although sometimes I really miss those lazy pigout moments, I feel 100% better for it :happy:
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    My siblings said that I've been able to successfully get healthy using MFP because I am a nerd and it appeals to my sensibilities (online forum, app, etc...). It was the right tool for me. I am also a gamer girl. I am taking a break from gaming right now because I need to stay focused on other things, but I always come back to the dark side. :-D

I started buying fitness and dance games for Kinect. I don't know if there's a PC equivalent to that, but you may want to consider investing in a refurbished Wii. When I first started out two years ago I play a lot of EA Sports Active on the Wii. I also used Wii Fit. Zumba and Dance Central games are a lot more fun with the 360 since you don't have to hold anything, but still doable on the Wii.

If that option is cost prohibitive, I would recommend walking. Start small. Just take a 10 or 15 minute walk once a day. Cycling is also pretty low-impact, but there are some costs involved if you don't already own a bike.
  • shiraLA
    shiraLA Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    That's so funny! I got into LOL because of MY EXBOYFRIEND! haha I started going to the gym and taking pilates and yoga, so it has really helped to get myself off the computer. :p
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat of a gamer, myself. Used to be pretty exclusively PC, but when my laptop got to the point it couldn't run newer games, switched over to a lot more PS3 games.

Never got into WOW. I've always been scared to try it. (Afraid I'd get addicted.) I was really into LOTRO for a while, but school got in the way, and I couldn't afford a premium account. Still miss my old kinship.... but now I have Mass Effect, Skyrim, Metal Gear, and Sims 3 to ease my grief. : )

Unfortunately, being a person who loves movies/television/gaming leads to little exercise. So yeah. Gotta watch what I eat.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I play lotro and ddo. Getting nasty patch errors so not playing until they goet resolved.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    check out Nerdfitness, particularly designed for gamers and others who spend a lot of time sitting
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat of a gamer, myself. Used to be pretty exclusively PC, but when my laptop got to the point it couldn't run newer games, switched over to a lot more PS3 games.

Never got into WOW. I've always been scared to try it. (Afraid I'd get addicted.) I was really into LOTRO for a while, but school got in the way, and I couldn't afford a premium account. Still miss my old guild.... But now I have Mass Effect, Skyrim, Metal Gear, and Sims 3 to ease my grief. : )

Unfortunately, being a person who loves movies/television/gaming leads to little exercise. So yeah. Gotta watch what I eat.

What server were you on in lotro? I play on landroval with The Lonely Mountain Band.
  • Ribbons390
    Options
    Or I had this really bad habit of getting the biggest glass of milk and the biggest pack of oreo's and sitting there infront of the pc for sometimes 2-3 hours

When I was in high school I would sit down with a 2L bottle of Pepsi in my lap, pop a straw into it, and sit there with the straw hanging out of my mouth while I stared dead eyed at the computer screen. I think I'd go through a 2L in a day, and I'd have one almost any chance I got.
    I gave up fizzy drinks in my preteens cause they started giving me headaches, so I'm used to just drinking tea and water.

I'm not so bad with soda now, but it's really hard for me to give it up. One time I managed to go 30 days cold turkey from the stuff, but right now it's sort've become an emotional attachment. I don't like how it makes me feel after a few days of drinking it compared to water, but I do like the caffeine boost and the fizz.
    I started buying fitness and dance games for Kinect. I don't know if there's a PC equivalent to that, but you may want to consider investing in a refurbished Wii. When I first started out two years ago I play a lot of EA Sports Active on the Wii. I also used Wii Fit. Zumba and Dance Central games are a lot more fun with the 360 since you don't have to hold anything, but still doable on the Wii.

If that option is cost prohibitive, I would recommend walking. Start small. Just take a 10 or 15 minute walk once a day. Cycling is also pretty low-impact, but there are some costs involved if you don't already own a bike.

I used to bike around a lot too, but the one I have has no breaks.... :S When I move back home I hope to get a new bike and to find a dance club where I can just let loose, that is without having to worry about alcohol and guys trying to pick up on me! D:

Also my user name on LOL is also Ribbons123, feel free to add me too. :) I'm not good at PVP at all, but I can fight bots pretty decently.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I played WoW and was a hardcore raider for about 2 years, I gained probably about 80 lbs. It was just too easy to sit with a bag of chips and raid all night.

I quit hardcore raiding in December, and quit casually doing so in May...and I've lost a TON of weight. I guess my advice (although it's not as much fun) is to just go OUTSIDE Azeroth :P

Good luck!
  • Ribbons390
    Options
    I play lotro and ddo. Getting nasty patch errors so not playing until they goet resolved.

Ugh, patch errors are the worst when all you really want to do is play. :( I used to play DDO, but I"m more into WOW and Guild Wars 2.
    check out Nerdfitness, particularly designed for gamers and others who spend a lot of time sitting

Thanks! I'm totally going to check it out. :)

OH MAN, I'm not into the console games right now, but I have been trying to poke away at a game called Tokyo Jungle. You should check it out, it's really awesome. :)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Oh, and Mists of Pandaria is trying to suck me back in, lol
  • Ribbons390
    Options
    Oh, and Mists of Pandaria is trying to suck me back in, lol

Panda's is pretty fun. Except after you hit level 10 on your Panda, you no longer level in Pandaria. It gets a bit boring after that. I haven't played much on my level 85 hunter, but the story line of visiting Pandaria seems pretty dang awesome. :)

Good luck! Haha.
  • lisablah
    Options
    I almost broke when Mists of Pandaria was released, my kids must play with headsets on all the time now with no volume so that I can hear, because I too have almost lost half of the weight I gained and I only have to hear the opening screen and i'm like OH WOW! :cry:
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ooh, thanks! I hadn't heard of it before. Watched the trailer and a review. It looks awesome!
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Welcome fellow gaming nerd! :) Geek! Whatever you want to go by! :)

You should check out a couple gaming groups that are around:
    Girl Gamers - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4851-girl-gamers
    MFP Gamers - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/19-mfp-gamers

I'm playing WoW and Borderlands 2 pretty much exclusively right now, but am always up for anything else. Feel free to add me.

Battle.Net - alix.remes@gmail.com
    Steam - Lexagon80