Mike’s Daily Rant 10/30/2012 The McDonalds 10K

Options
As many of you know already, I love McDonalds. I don’t eat it often but when I do I order what I want and could care less about caloric intake. While attempting to lose weight, I would drive awful routes to avoid passing McDonalds on my way home. I was strong but understood that everyone has a vulnerability. My vulnerability was McDonalds. However, after a month I became so strong that I could pass by with my windows down and attempt to smell what was cooking in McDonalds without stopping. This was my reward for all the hard work I was putting in. Work hard and you get to pass by McDonalds and smell the food cooking. That was a 0 calorie treat.

Now that the weight is gone, I eat McDonalds maybe twice a month if that often. I go into a order frenzy. I usually order the same thing every time that I go. I order 2 Double Cheeseburgers with no ketchup, no mustard add Big Mac Sauce a medium French fry no salt (they have to make them fresh when you order them like this) and Medium Strawberry MilkShake. This meal only comes up to $7.27 but it totals up to 2080 Calories (Via McDonalds website). The amount of calories that I eat in that one meal totals up to what I typically eat in 2 days. Yet I really don’t care because I don’t do it often.

With that background information today’s rant is inspired by my indifference to my caloric intake at McDonalds. With that many calories in one sitting it should raise a red flag to me and I should care more. Yesterday I wanted this exact meal but was not motivated to workout because I had a long weekend and was a pretty tired. So I decided that I can have this meal only if I jog to the closest McDonalds rather than drive. The distance to the closest McDonalds is 3.1 Miles away from my home. The logic behind this is that if I am willing to run a 10K (6.2 miles there and back) to get McDonalds I definitely deserve that meal. Taking into account the hills and inclines on the way there and back I calculated that I could burn half of those calories jogging there.
I put on my clothes and running shoes and grab my wallet and get ready to start jogging and then at the last moment decide that it is not worth it. I really don’t want it that bad. This was a moment in my level of thinking. I figured this out on my own. If it’s not something that is very convenient, we don’t want it. This was a breakthrough in my eyes. I challenged myself and although I lost I feel as if I won at the same time.

I have run several 5K’s, 10K’s, half marathons so on and so forth. I know how I feel after running that much. The last thing on my mind is eating greasy burgers and fries. This will be the only way that I ever eat McDonalds in this fashion ever again. That Is if I jog to get it. That means I probably will never order that way again. If I have McDonalds it will be something more sensible if that’s not an oxymoron.

So for those of you reading this, I challenge YOU to Challenge YOURSELF to something similar to this and see how great you feel after losing the challenge and deterring yourself from the ultimate reward. Yet again this sounds stupid but losing the challenge is really a victory in my eyes.

MikeMontana1914

Replies

• MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    I ended up making Chicken Parm and Garlic Toast. It was delicious. :glasses:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I walk 1h for magnum double gold.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    I walk 1h for magnum double gold.

What is that? Chocolate?
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    That's FABULOUS! Good for you! Only could have been better if you would have run the distance anyway :drinker: ...maybe another day!? :wink:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    ice cream
    the best one
    320 kcal i think
    I burn about 400 walking
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    That's FABULOUS! Good for you! Only could have been better if you would have run the distance anyway :drinker: ...maybe another day!? :wink:

I know me and the miles would ahve been great but on top of that it was really cold and windy out.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    ice cream
    the best one
    320 kcal i think
    I burn about 400 walking

I gotta check it out.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing with a Kit-kat bar the other day, convinced myself if I wanted it I have to go walk a mile in order to have it and not go over my calories for the day. Funny thing after going for the walk which ended up taking an extra mile cause I saw a bunch of cop cars down the road and decided to go investigate, but when I got back home I found out that my nephew ate the Kit Kat I had since I set it out in the open in the kitchen. It made me laugh since I figured it wasn't meant to be.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    I did the same thing with a Kit-kat bar the other day, convinced myself if I wanted it I have to go walk a mile in order to have it and not go over my calories for the day. Funny thing after going for the walk which ended up taking an extra mile cause I saw a bunch of cop cars down the road and decided to go investigate, but when I got back home I found out that my nephew ate the Kit Kat I had since I set it out in the open in the kitchen. It made me laugh since I figured it wasn't meant to be.

That is hillarious!!
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hello; My name is Lori and I am (or can be) lazy!!! I think this is brilliant in fact. I lived in Austin and for a while didn’t have a car so I too cut the fast food because who wants to get off the bus to have to wait an hour for the next one just for fast food!
    Depending on public transportation was GREAT for my diet! lol Then I replaced my car :-(

My biggest weaknesses are Mt Dew and Ice Cream, there is a convenience store not far from the house and my husband goes nightly and asks if I want anything - I have already told him if he grabs me soda please make it diet (i like fountain drinks over bottled) but on occasion will ask him (or he tries to be nice) and gets me a pint... I will from now on not get that pint unless I walk there to get it myself - according to the handle google machine it is .6 mile so round trip would be about a mile...
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!!!
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Hello; My name is Lori and I am (or can be) lazy!!! I think this is brilliant in fact. I lived in Austin and for a while didn’t have a car so I too cut the fast food because who wants to get off the bus to have to wait an hour for the next one just for fast food!
    Depending on public transportation was GREAT for my diet! lol Then I replaced my car :-(

My biggest weaknesses are Mt Dew and Ice Cream, there is a convenience store not far from the house and my husband goes nightly and asks if I want anything - I have already told him if he grabs me soda please make it diet (i like fountain drinks over bottled) but on occasion will ask him (or he tries to be nice) and gets me a pint... I will from now on not get that pint unless I walk there to get it myself - according to the handle google machine it is .6 mile so round trip would be about a mile...

Hey Lori Lazy isnt all bad in all cases lol. I too like mountain dew and now they make the huge Arizona Tea Size cans here in georgia. I dont buy them but really want to everytime I see them. I think that if we start forcing ourselves to walk or run to get things we are less likely to get it. Or if we get it, wont feel 100% terrible about it.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options

I think I just drooled on my desk. Back to work!!! Thanks for sharing though.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I had a pub crawl back in July I wanted to go on. I ran 10K on the treadmill before we headed out. Losing a ton of weight killed my tolerance so I didn't drink 1200-1500 calories of beer and it wouldn't have mattered if I did as I left most of those calories splattered all over an Alley next to the final bar we went to. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :sick: :sad:
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    I had a pub crawl back in July I wanted to go on. I ran 10K on the treadmill before we headed out. Losing a ton of weight killed my tolerance so I didn't drink 1200-1500 calories of beer and it wouldn't have mattered if I did as I left most of those calories splattered all over an Alley next to the final bar we went to. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :sick: :sad:

Ha Ha!!
  • crazyola26
    crazyola26 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used to be addicted to McDonalds; I would crave it and it's on my way home and I would be so tempted to stop and my order was close to yours: two hamburgers, a medium fry, a kid sized diet coke and a chocolate milkshake for dessert. Since becoming a vegetarian I have had zero cravings for it and I am really happy for this!! Now my cravings are pizza!! :-P
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    good for you

I have to drive past a mcdonald, kfc burger king and have to tell myself they are a mirage !
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    good post today. great food for thought.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Beautifully written! Congrats on kicking Mcdonalds in the face!