Biggest, surprising non-supporter you've run into....

Options
Mine is my boyfriend's mother. We've been dating for 6 years and for 5 of them I was pudgy. This past January I decided to kick my butt in gear and change my lifestyle. I now watch what I eat very carefully, hit the gym at 4:45am everyday for heavy lifting and I'm down 28 pounds. At first, she didn't really say much, until there were a couple months where she hadn't seen me when I lost the majority of the weight- then the comments started. [A bit of background- she is a larger woman herself, she yo-yo's back and forth with Weight Watchers every year when she goes to the beach for vacation, but doesn't know anything in the slightest about living a healthy lifestyle.]

We go to her house for dinner (granted it's her house, but she knows when I'm coming) and she ALWAYS makes the most unhealthy things when we come. It'll either be super greasy hamburgers, or order-in pizza, or pasta with tons and tons of cream sauce and buttery garlic bread... things like that. The ridiculous part is that my boyfriend has even commented that she never used to cook things like that when he lived there. But she still to this day she gets SO offended when I comment that I don't want the garlic bread or macaroni and cheese or whatever on the side. She says "Oh, COME ON, it won't hurt this one time... You're too skinny now anyways." And then after dinner, there's ALWAYS dessert. A huge banana cream pie or a chocolate cake, always something. And then after the dessert, there's always chocolate or brownies or rice crispy treats being passed around. And she takes it SO personal when I turn it all down. At first, I would have a very small piece, or a bite of my boyfriends. But now, we're there almost every Sunday for dinner, so it WILL add up eventually. And now my boyfriend and I are getting in fights constantly because I keep saying that she's doing it on purpose and he refuses to believe it- it's to the point that I don't even want to go there for dinner at all just to avoid what I know she's going to do.

I guess it's just alarming to me that someone I've known for 6 years can be so unsupportive to the point that she seems like she's trying everything she can just to sabotage me. And the fact that no one else sees the jealousy/despise but me.

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone else out there has run into a "road-blocker" that they never expected....

Replies

• Anaconda62
    Options
    I love to cook, so when I entertain people who have dietary restrictions or just don't like eating something in particular, I love the challenge of trying to make something as yummy as possible to fit into their lifestyle. I cook what I like for me, but I think it's incredibly rude to try to force people to eat things they don't want. It does sound to me like she is going out of her way to make the unhealthiest things possible. And there is no excuse, if she's been on WW she knows what's supposed to be good, healthy food.

And, yes, I have some very good friends that are terrible about trying to get me to eat things I don't want to eat. It's getting to the point that I just want to avoid any situations that involve food when I'm with them.
  • nomorepud
    Options
    I so understand this one, the only time my mother in law gave me more than my husband (usually got less than him) was when she knew I was on a diet!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    How difficult! I really can't think of anything you could do other than 1) talk to her about your eating habits and how good you feel, or 2) decline the dinners. I'd probably go for #2. In fact, I did. My MIL used to invite us over for holidays, and there was always a lot of drinking and drama. Finally I decided that I would rather celebrate holidays at home and cook a special dinner for my own family (husband and children). Turns out my husband preferred to do that, too.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    My mother was on me about my weight from childhood on up, even when I wasn't more than ten pounds overweight. I had horrible body image issues during high school, even though I looked just fine. She was always on my case to do some sit-ups or skip snacks.

When I lost the first 25 pounds, I posted about it on Facebook, and everyone congratulated me. She said, "If I were you, I wouldn't say anything. I'd wait for people to notice, or I'd post when I lost fifty pounds, something big like that." I was really hurt because I thought she'd be happy. I said, "25 pounds IS a big deal!" She responded, "Oh, I'm proud of you... I just think you should wait until it's a BIG number that will impress people." I told her I wasn't doing it for anyone else and changed the subject.

It still stings on occasion, mostly because I know that no matter how much I lose, she'll probably always want me to be thinner. When I told her I'm not going to take anymore insults about my weight once I look like I did in high school, she said, "Yeah, you looked adorable back then. That would be a good weight." I wanted to slam my head into the nearest table. She honestly doesn't remember nagging me about my weight every day.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    That stinks. I am the cook in the family, so when people want to eat they come here. Or did before. These holidays should be interesting (I am not making anything unhealthy).

The strangeness I have run into is really over weight family members telling me how to lose. Or what is or isn't good for me.
  • wheresheidi
    Options
    Next time you go bring a big salad with several different types of dressing (make sure one is low cal) (BTW Wishbone makes a Parmsean Ranch that is awesome.) Just tell her you wanted to contribute to dinner since youv'e been coming over so much. Win/Win :wink:
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Next time you go bring a big salad with several different types of dressing (make sure one is low cal) (BTW Wishbone makes a Parmsean Ranch that is awesome.) Just tell her you wanted to contribute to dinner since youv'e been coming over so much. Win/Win :wink:
    This was my thought. Make something like a healthy dessert and then leave it there when it is time to go. Or a healthy side dish so that you can fill the majority of your plate with the healthy dish and then to placate her a bit of the rest. And you can always say...oh boy am I full. That was a wonderful dinner!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    My mother! I think she means well, but it's still a fail. She tells me I look great, then offers me a cookie. And despite the fact that I have told her repeatedly exactly what I eat, she still is convinced she should feed me meat! Super frustrating!!!!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
  • bcf7683
    Options
    Well it's nice to see that I'm not the only one out there dealing with the wonderful "in-laws". Even though she's not even an in-law (yet?) :ohwell:

Liking the suggestions. I usually cook myself a dinner before we go, eat that, then eat a tiny bit there, usually a big bowl of salad and very small portion of the main dish.

I like the ideas of taking a healthy side to share- especially since everyone but her loves most things I cook :devil: But I'm sure she'll see my bringing a dish as impeding on "her" dinner. So I'm thinking it's a lose-lose situation. But at least I'd have something to fill my plate with, even if I had to make it myself!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Are you under some obligation to go there? I agree with your assessment that she is doing this on purpose to fatten you up. Misery loves company, they say.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    my ex gf....we were together 4 years....3 of which i was fat then i lost weight and it was never the same,,,,,shes not overweight at all but she always seemed to resent me since i got fit and never understood why.
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My sister is probably the biggest non-supporter I have. She never has anything to say, good or bad really. I have lost 32 lbs and several clothing sizes. I know she notices a difference. But nothing. Not a word. She will roll her eyes or walk away if someone asks me about what I am doing or working out. It definitely offends me.
  • bcf7683
    Options
    Are you under some obligation to go there? I agree with your assessment that she is doing this on purpose to fatten you up. Misery loves company, they say.

Well, my boyfriend and I are practically married. So, somewhat obligated, although recently I've been speaking up- I skipped this past Sunday, it was "wing" day in honor of football Sunday. Sorry, no thanks lady.

But I have thought up a diabolical plan.... She's always saying how bad she feels for her son because all I eat is "tofu and garbage like that" (which, by the way, I am not a fan of tofu- shows how much she knows. And apparently salmon, shrimp, turkey, lean beef, and vegetables now qualify as garbage) and don't cook for him (I cook for him all the time...) So maybe I should have her over for a nice tofu-zucchini lasagna this coming Sunday?.... :devil:
  • bcf7683
    Options
    my ex gf....we were together 4 years....3 of which i was fat then i lost weight and it was never the same,,,,,shes not overweight at all but she always seemed to resent me since i got fit and never understood why.

Did you ever ask her to come with you to the gym?...I've asked the BF a million times. And I've gotten a million no's.
  • schivis
    schivis Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    At first it was my husband. But things changed after I made a HUGE annoucement. I told him that I felt as though I was pretty unhealthy and wanted to make a change to become healthier. He cooks most of our meals but I told him effective...I would eat a certain way and that he didn't need to plan for my meals. When he saw what I was doing, he started making dinners that worked for me. He lost 50 lbs while I struggled to lose 25 :). Every now and then he complains that making healthy meals all the time is difficult but all in all he has become my number one supporter. Good luck to you.
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My mother is like that, kind of. She doesn't make super unhealthy food anymore. Both my brother and I are dieting so she's kind of changed what she's been making to fit our restrictions.

However before I started dieting, or while I was trying to diet before I got into MFP, my mother(who has been overweight since as long as I can remember), would constantly come up to me and tell me that we needed to seriously diet and lose weight together. I was more than okay with this. It's easier to lose weight when you've got someone to do it with you to support you and keep you motivated and honest with your diet.

But the next day after having that conversation with me, she'd come home from the store with junk food. Chips, danishes, cinnamon buns, chocolate. So much unhealthy stuff. So I'd look at her and ask her why she got all this if we're going to diet together, and she says "it's not for you. It's for me."

Let me get this straight, mom. You want to diet with me, but you want to eat all this while doing it? No. It doesn't work that way. My mom works all the time so she never even has time to exercise. She doesn't really come up to me anymore saying we should diet because I've been dieting and she knows I've been losing weight. I don't think she's ever gunna actually diet herself. She says she will but she just works too often and eats super unhealthy food.

I just hope my losing weight can motivate her(and some of my other family, like cousins, aunts, and uncles) to lose weight. Most of my family on my mother's side is overweight.

But yeah, my advice here is, talk to her about it and what's bothering you. If she continues to make food like this, go over for dinner but just eat much less than usual, and turn down dessert. If she tries to get you to eat more and more, just avoid going over. If she's not going to support your weight loss, then don't even bother. I avoid going to family dinners sometimes when they tell me what they're making and it's unhealthy food that I'd rather not eat.

Good luck. (:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Why get on fights over something she is doing? I would go and just enjoy the food in small portions that way she has no ground to stand on. Unless you guys go visit there more than 3 times a month. But still just cause she cooked 20 burgers for 4 people doesn't mean you have to eat 5.

I don't know of any non-supporters cause I don't really need the support since I do this alone, I'm very firm on my NO I don't want that or NO I don't eat that. And when I'm visiting some where in a social capacity I just make sure I have my day planed so I can in take a lot of calories.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Hope things improve with your BF's mother....that's strange and unfortunate. My mother-in-law was a really awesome lady, and couldn't stop complimenting me as I was losing weight.

One of my best friends was my big surprise though. She was kind of negative about it, and kept warning' me not to get too "OBSESSED" with working out and eating healthy. I expected better...but I guess on some level it just reflected her own inability to get motivated and make the changes she says she wants to make. She just hasn't made the committment to stop baking brownies "for the kids" every week and making excuses why she can't exercise quite yet!

All in due time though....hopefully get to the point where she wants it bad enough to just do it,
  • bcf7683
    Options
    Why get on fights over something she is doing? I would go and just enjoy the food in small portions that way she has no ground to stand on. Unless you guys go visit there more than 3 times a month. But still just cause she cooked 20 burgers for 4 people doesn't mean you have to eat 5.

I don't know of any non-supporters cause I don't really need the support since I do this alone, I'm very firm on my NO I don't want that or NO I don't eat that. And when I'm visiting some where in a social capacity I just make sure I have my day planed so I can in take a lot of calories.

I'm not asking for her support, so I suppose I used "non-supporter" loosely. I've done this myself and surpassed my goals without any support. I guess it's more shocking that she is acting this way. And yes, it's starting to be a steady almost every-Sunday ordeal lately. And I say no, and I mean no. It's just becoming an annoyance in my relationship because he gets frustrated at the situation because he wants us to get along, which I understand. But I shouldn't have to gorge myself on disgusting food to get along with her. She's always done things like this to stir up feuds within her own family, but I guess it's just hitting home now because she's involving me. It's more of a frustration/annoyance than not getting support.