Am I the one MFPer who doesn't LOVE working out?

Options
I dread going to the gym.. but I love the results and how it makes me feel.. It just seems like everyone else on here LOVES the gym.. It's definitely something I have to push myself to do, not something I wake up excited to do.. maybe that excitement comes in time? hehe

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I do not love it. I hate the gym and don't go. I ride my bIke and lift dumbbells and do Bodyweight exercises at home.
    But I almost dread it. I still do it. It is better, not as dreaded. And I make challenges with my kids, with 'more push ups' or whatevr. T helps.
    <<-- and I draw dorky pictures for our workout chart
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    that's the difference between "working out" and "training". Set some performance goals short and long term. Work out what you need to do daily/weekly etc to do them. This "should" help with motivation to go to the gym and achieve. However, if you're just going and doing something boring that you don't actually enjoy (i.e. treadmill) then I'd suggest choosing an alternate exercise that you do enjoy. Exercise doesn't only have to be done in the gym :smile:
  • poplin
    poplin Posts: 15
    Options
    I dread going to the gym.. but I love the results and how it makes me feel.. It just seems like everyone else on here LOVES the gym.. It's definitely something I have to push myself to do, not something I wake up excited to do.. maybe that excitement comes in time? hehe

How long have you been doing it? I hated exercise my whole life until I really made myself do it in early June--and now I get sad if I have to take a rest day. I think I am now very aware of how amazing I feel after working out while I'm still in the middle of a routine, so I'm able to enjoy those moments a lot more.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one. I don't even belong to a gym. I'm losing weight by diet alone, right now.
  • meowkapow
    meowkapow Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I prefer being active, cycling and hiking but I got results from going to the gym as well as doing home workouts like Insanity. I wouldn't want to do the same thing over and over again for too long though, I get bored quite easily, maybe switch it up with something else?
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Most people don't love going to the gym to bust their *kitten*. Either get used to the grind or trick yourself.
  • Cheryl1018
    Options
    I hate working out and do not go to a gym. I do enjoy my walks though and I do exercises at home.
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I prefer being active, cycling and hiking but I got results from going to the gym as well as doing home workouts like Insanity. I wouldn't want to do the same thing over and over again for too long though, I get bored quite easily, maybe switch it up with something else?

Thanks guys!! Yeah I would definitely prefer a more active lifestyle than going to the gym, just need to find some active buddies to enjoy it with me :) Also thinking about taking a jazz or hip hop dance class. That would be fun! I've been going to the gym for a few months now, just hate it.. lol Even with my awesome music!!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like it. It makes me feel good and it makes me feel powerful.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I like it. It makes me feel good and it makes me feel powerful.

But you are super human.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i actually like going to the gym... it is my 2 hours in the day where it can be just all about me... working out is peaceful for me
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying I don't see myself as a lazy person. That being said, I loathe scheduled exercise. I can walk all day shopping at the mall, but hand me an iPod and my sneakers and tell me I have to walk the same distance and I just resist resist resist. It's really a bad part of my personality and if I don't get some toning done I'm gonna look nasty once the weight comes off and nothing's tightened up. And even as I type this, I'm contemplating doing Just Dance on my Wii tonight, and already trying to find a reason to avoid it...
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    Your not alone.
    Unless it's a game like tennis, swimming, volley ball or something I don't want to do it! I'll kayak all day but I don't want to run for a minute. Unless zombies.
  • MStanford336
    MStanford336 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I hate it. I hate it. I hate every second of it. I just know that I hate being fat more.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't love it. In fact, I hate it. I still do it though.
  • azjenny72
    azjenny72 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used to hate exercising... hated it... all of the years I have tried to lose weight I never added that to the mix. For the first time in my life I joined a gym this month and I found that I love it... I still hate exercising but it is a way for me to get "me" time. There are so many people that rely on me or need me for something, my son, my husband, my disabled father. I am responsible for all of them but when I go to the gym for that 90 minutes I am there it is time to focus on me and only me... no one calls me, bothers me or asks me to do anything for them... I get to be selfish there... so I still despise exercise but see it as the only time I am going to get to do something for me and THAT is something I've found I love to the point where I too get depressed if I can't get to the gym or it's not my day to go to the gym.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it, and dread it, but now I just accept it as part of my life. It's akin to brushing your teeth, or washing your hair. Just another grooming requirement.

I do REALLY look forward to the post workout endorphin surge though. I live for that!
  • SandieM7
    SandieM7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I've worked out pretty faithfully for the last 18 years or so (yes I'm old...haha). I can't say that I love working out, but now that I'm incorporating healthy eating along with it I do feel much more motivated to do it. I love how I feel, both phyically and mentally, after a good workout. The big plus with this particular program is seeing in print the extra calories you can have after a good burn. Keep moving!!!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    that's the difference between "working out" and "training". Set some performance goals short and long term. Work out what you need to do daily/weekly etc to do them. This "should" help with motivation to go to the gym and achieve. However, if you're just going and doing something boring that you don't actually enjoy (i.e. treadmill) then I'd suggest choosing an alternate exercise that you do enjoy. Exercise doesn't only have to be done in the gym :smile:

I couldn't agree more with this. I hated "working out" until I had something I was trying to acheive. Now I love to run. I do as many races as I can just to see if I can beat my time.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I use to hate it because I couldn't see any progress, I only saw why I needed to go. I choose the gym because I have no excuse once I'm there. After almost 3 years I now crave it. I see what it has done for me. I see the progress in my strength etc. Life now is very different for me. (314lbs. down to 200.2lbs)