PIZZA!! I need Pizza!

Options
lswatson111304
lswatson111304 Posts: 80 Member
seriously I've been having a mean craving for a good pizza. Sad thing is my taste buds prefer the horrible Pizza Hut Pizza...and with Pizza, I can't stop at 1 or 2 slices. I just can't. I'm not there yet. LOL I love supremes, pep and jalapeno, pep and mushrooms, and pep and black olives....
Soooo, is there any way for me to create my own homeade pizza that at least tastes good? LOL Please say yes please say yes..and post recipes. ..thanks!

Replies

• Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    pizza is amazing

the best part about it is you can have so many kinds......so you can never be bored of it
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I love pizza... roasted butternut squash and Gorgonzola is a favourite!
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    when i want my pizza i go all out. i figure giving into one "serious" craving every so often keeps me from eating multiple bad meals while craving one thing.
    pizza, mexican, a good burger, and "chicago food" are all things I make exceptions for lol...and Im still losing so I guess I cant be too wrong
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Pizza too. I can never have just one or two slices either.....it has to be like a whole medium covered in ranch dressing. I have a cheat day once a week and 9 out of 10 times thats what I have. Now I've got a wicked craving too:love:
  • lynnut830
    Options
    This helped break me of my Pizza Hut cravings, so maybe it can help you too... Do a Google search for "pizza hut cheese". It's reportedly not 100% mozzarella... One of my favorite at home pizzas is using a flour tortilla (or whole wheat, low carb, whatever you have around) and putting the sauce, cheese and veggies on top. Bake it in an oven preheated to 450- or 475-degrees for about 6-7 minutes. It helps feed the pizza need. :) Good luck!
  • Solandra
    Options
    I'm with ya on the Pizza Hut cravings. The only way I can behave is to get a personal pan pizza to go. That way it limits my indescretion and I'm not at the restaurant to order another one. Cheers!
  • utdk5
    utdk5 Posts: 1
    Options
    Sometimes I can satisfy my pizza craving by putting a little tomato paste on 2 english muffins then add a little onion, black olives a piece of pepperoni and then sprinkle a little mozzarella........I then broil it for a couple of minutes. It's not pizza, but I do not feel quilty!
  • hsc5690
    hsc5690 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here is my recipe for homemade pizza. You can vary the seasoning in the sauce to your liking. Also add as many vegetables to it as you would like. 1/4 of this and a side salad with a light fat free dressing will still keep you on your diet as long as you plan for it during the day.

Hsc5690 Pizza Pepperoni Recipe

Submitted by hsc5690

Makes 4 servings

Homemade pepperoni Pizza

Ingredients
    Crust
    2 c flour
    1 T sugar
    1 T oil
    3/4 t salt
    1 T dry milk
    1/2 pkg dry yeast
    3/4 c water

Sauce
    4 oz tomato sauce
    1/2 T dry minced onion
    1/2 t dry rosemary

6 oz Mozzarella, Part Skim Milk Cheese
    3 oz pepperoni
    Directions
    prepare as normal
    Categories

Main Dish

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 212.8g

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 515
    Calories from Fat 199
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 22.1g34%
    Saturated Fat 9.2g46%
    Trans Fat 0.4g
    Cholesterol 46mg15%
    Sodium 1167mg49%
    Total Carbohydrates 54.7g18%
    Dietary Fiber 2.4g10%
    Sugars 5.0g
    Protein 23.2g

Vitamin A 7% • Vitamin C 4%
    Calcium 34% • Iron 21%

* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.

Read more: http://caloriecount.about.com/hsc5690-pizza-pepperoni-recipe-r317254#ixzz0djjGq6k2
  • mdseevers
    Options
    Who doesn't love pizza!! Here is a website that sells fat free pizza: http://www.pizzafree.com/home.php

Here is some things to think about with homemade and delivery:

Homemade Pizza

Go where the flavor is. Hard, flavorful cheeses like Parmesan and especially Romano (the freshly grated stuff, not the stuff in the green can) pack a wallop of flavor, so you can use less. Two grated tablespoons contain less than 4 grams of fat, about 2 of them saturated. Just a tiny bit of strongly flavored cheese like blue, Stilton, or feta goes a long way crumbled over salads.

Shred 'em. You'll also use less if you sprinkle on reduced-fat shredded cheese instead of layering on slices.

Be a softie. Some soft cheeses, such as ricotta and goat cheese, are often lower in fat than other cheeses.

Go American. American cheese has just 4 grams of fat per slice and 60 calories, which makes it a great alternative to cheddar.

Delivery Pizza

Order half cheese or no cheese.

Ask for vegetable toppings, with extra vegetables.

Steer clear of stuffed-crust pizzas.

If you must have meat on your pizza, make it chicken or ham, not pepperoni. Or try clams, shrimp, or anchovies.
    From Cut Your Cholesterol
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I can satisfy my pizza craving by putting a little tomato paste on 2 english muffins then add a little onion, black olives a piece of pepperoni and then sprinkle a little mozzarella........I then broil it for a couple of minutes. It's not pizza, but I do not feel quilty!

I do the same thing: english muffin, tomato, spinach, mushroom, italian seasonings, low-fat cheese and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil...broil and it's soooo goood
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    How would you like to eat not 1 slice, not two slices, but a HALF pizza, GUILT FREE? Here's my guilt free 'Za recipe:

HOMEMADE SUPREMELY AWESOME PIZZA

You can either buy your crust, or make this low sodium one I found:
    2 t Active dry yeast
    3 1/2 c Bread Flour
    1 1/2 c Water
    2 t Honey
    2 T Olive Oil

Place ingredients in bread machine in order specified by manufacturer and process on dough cycle. Turn out the dough onto a floured board. At this point you may form the pizzas, or refrigerate the dough for several hours, well wrapped in plastic so it won't dry out. (Although a refrigerator rest is not necessary, it makes the dough easier to handle.) Makes enough dough for two 12-inch pizzas, or two 10-inch thick-crust pizzas. Bake at 400 degrees until lightly browned around the edges. Top as desired and return to oven until cheese is melted and crust browned, about 15 minutes total.

You can also buy a pre-made crust and procede with the following recipe:

1 Mama Mary's Thin & Crispy Crust (got ours at walmart), or use the crust recipe above
    1 red bell pepper
    1 green bell pepper
    1 can sliced, pitted olives, rinsed
    1 sweet onion
    2 Tomatoes
    1 Can Pizza Sauce (also got from Walmart, check labels for lowest sodium one!)
    1 pack fresh sliced mushrooms (available in produce dept)
    1 bag shredded cheese (also check sodium-- tillamook seems to be the best)
    1 can pineapple
    (You can also add your chicken)

Lay crust on baking sheet. Sauce lightly. Measure 1 cup cheese & sprinkle. Pile up all the yummy things! Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on top. Bake as directed on crust package.

Prep time for premade crust: 5 mins
    Calorie damage: 700 cals for HALF the pizza! ZOW! Amazing, right? The sodium on this one is a little high, but a real treat. You won't want to get take out again (we sure don't!)
    The low sodium crust is higher in cals, but has 25% less sodium.
  • Jovialation
    Options
    This helped break me of my Pizza Hut cravings, so maybe it can help you too... Do a Google search for "pizza hut cheese". It's reportedly not 100% mozzarella... One of my favorite at home pizzas is using a flour tortilla (or whole wheat, low carb, whatever you have around) and putting the sauce, cheese and veggies on top. Bake it in an oven preheated to 450- or 475-degrees for about 6-7 minutes. It helps feed the pizza need. :) Good luck!
    i worked there. its all natural ingredients. i promise.
    and pizza hut has those weird healthy pizzas...i forget what theyre called. check the website. theres quite a few healthy alternatives that still have that "pizza hut taste"
    also if you must order stuffed crust ask them not to spray it...they spray garlic butter spray on it.
    breadsticks and cheesesticks there are just as good without that crumble topping, if not better.

and pizza lean pockets are also really good, but dont satisfy my pizza cravings lol
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Here's a super easy pizza recipe. You'll have to choose your own ingredients to figure out the calories and such. You just take English muffins and seperate the top from the bottom. Then just put on pizza sauce and some mozzarella and whatever topping that you'd like. Just pop them in the over until the cheese is all melted. These are soo yummy!!!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    [and pizza hut has those weird healthy pizzas...i forget what theyre called. check the website. theres quite a few healthy alternatives that still have that "pizza hut taste"

They're called "Fit 'n Delicious" but it's BS. It's just the same thin crust with light cheese and healthier toppings (like veggies, ham, and chicken). I worked at Pizza Hut for WAY too long in high school & college.

When you order pizza, go for a veggie pizza. There'll be less cheese and you'll get in a couple servings of veggies while you're at it. Of course pan crust is going to be worse for you, and generally I've found that most of the time ordering thin crust doesn't save you very many calories (especially since it doesn't fill you up as much as a thicker hand tossed dough).
    So, go for hand tossed veggie. Add chicken or ham if you want, easy on the cheese (or not), and you're probably going to hit 250-300 calories for 1/8th of a 14" pie. Not that big of a deal. Eat two slices slowly (That's 1/4 of a 14" pizza, so if you're doing a large at Pizza Hut, that's 3 slices instead of 2 because they cut their larges into 12. Look at your plate -- that's a LOT of food). and leave the leftovers with a friend. That's what I did Sunday. No harm, no foul.
  • Jovialation
    Options
    oh no not those, they are BS...I mean the ones that if you get 3 theyre $5 a piece. those are different cheese, less cheese, and a healthier crust. I dont like em myself tho
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    oh no not those, they are BS...I mean the ones that if you get 3 theyre $5 a piece. those are different cheese, less cheese, and a healthier crust. I dont like em myself tho

Oh I haven't worked there since those existed. I'm thinking they're called Pizza Mia pizzas? I didn't know they were healthier.. just figured they were lower quality (which, I guess would mean there's less cheese so they *are* healthier :laugh:).
  • Jovialation
    Options
    technicalities!
    they had a whole wheat pizza with slices of tomato, not sure if its still around tho.
    Believe it or not, while waitressing there I got down to like 130. Despite the fact that all the pizza taken off the buffet was brought to the back and I had a personal pan for free every shift.
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    Here's my advice:
    Thin crust, light on the cheese, lots of veggies but no olives. Chicken if you must have meat.

Before you even order, enter this into your diary so you are sure you really want it, and can form an exercise plan to burn the calories.

Order a small and a tossed salad with a light dressing. When the pizza comes, put it in the oven. Eat the salad slowly. When you are finish, get out some zip locks. I tihnk a small from Pizza Hut has 8 slices, so get 3 freezer bags and put 2 slices in each bag. Put those in the fridge and then put the remaining two slices on a plate. Eat it with a knife and fork (weird, i know, but you'll eat slower). You will be much less tempted to go for a third or fourth if they are portioned off. And 2 slices of pizza, done the light way, is about 350 calories so you can eat on for the rest of the week and stay within your goals.

I find if I give myself "free range" over certain types of food, I never learnn to eat that food in moderation. Learn to work pizza into your new life style, don't leave it out of this new you or you will always overeat when you eat pizza because you "can." Doing these exercises will help you get to the point where you can eat pizza, or wings, or mexican, in moderation and enjoy it without feeling deprived or eating yourself sick.

You can do it!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I love pizza and there is no way I would give it up! This is your life and you need to live it and having food in life that you enjoy is very important. Every Friday night at our house is pizza night and the only place that delivers for a decent price is Dominoes. They have a calorie calculator at their sight that you add you ingredients and you can see the calories in an 1/8 a pizza. Don't totally give up something you love!
  • NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I love pizza and there is no way I would give it up! This is your life and you need to live it and having food in life that you enjoy is very important. Every Friday night at our house is pizza night and the only place that delivers for a decent price is Dominoes. They have a calorie calculator at their sight that you add you ingredients and you can see the calories in an 1/8 a pizza. Don't totally give up something you love!

Every Friday night is Pizza Night here, too. Sometimes we make it, sometimes we throw in a frozen one, and sometimes we order it. It partly depends on how many calories & how much sodium I've already used for the day. Last Friday I was planning to eat a Lean Cusine pizza while the family had Papa Johns... BUT I changed my mind & had 2 slices once it arrived. And, you know what? After dinner we threw in a dvd, I hopped on my bike and rode 550 calories worth so in the end, no damage done, I enjoyed pizza with my family and I felt no guilt.

Can't stop at a few slices? What about one of those joints where you can order by the slice? I think we have Anthony's as well as a few others. If you deprive yourself something you *really* want you are going to end up not being able to make this a lifestyle change and once you are done 'dieting' you'll go back to eating that 'whole' pizza and this will all have been for nothing.

Best of luck to you on finding a way to allow pizza back into your life.