PIZZA!! I need Pizza!

Options

Replies

• parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    i was feeling the same way yesterday....then i made portobello pizzas... i know how they sound...trust me, i thought the same thing...until i ate it! loved it, posted the recipe yesterday.....each one is under 200 calories & tasted delish!
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    i was feeling the same way yesterday....then i made portobello pizzas... i know how they sound...trust me, i thought the same thing...until i ate it! loved it, posted the recipe yesterday.....each one is under 200 calories & tasted delish!
  • frogmanjared
    Options
    Make a homemade pizza with a tortilla as the crust, and cut back on the cheese, load it with veggies and spinach!
  • sineadmm
    sineadmm Posts: 190
    Options
    I love pizza!:heart:

I went shopping last night, and came across pizza bases, I checked the cals and they were 335 per pizza base,needless to say I put them down as quick as lightning LOL . Don't think pizza is worth the cals tbh!
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I buy the Pillsury Thin Crust Pizza dough (in refrig, case by the rolls). I roll it out and cut it into 3 pieces. Roll up the 2 that I am not using and refrig for another day. It is not round like a pizza - more like a long rectangle.

I use 1/4 Archer Farmer (from Target) Spicy italian Pizza Sauce, 1/4 cut finely shredded mozz. and 2 Mezzetta Garlic Stuffed green Olives sliced. I sometimes put a half a chicken breast (chopped )on depending on how many calories I have. If you like onions, peppers, mushrooms, you can add but I don't like them. Bake according to the package directions.

It is definitely not Pizza Hut but it satisfies the Pizza craving. I will go check the totals and post.
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The sodium is high but you can lose the olives if you are concerned about sodium. I am just going to post the calories though (sorry I am lazy)

2 Mezzetta Garlic Stuffed Olives - 20 calories
    1/4 C Kraft Natural Shredded Mozz - 80 calories
    1/4 C Archer Farms Spicy Italian Pizza Sauce - 60 Calories
    1/3 canister Pills. Thin Crust Dough - 270 Calories
    3 oz chopped chicken breast - 83

430 calories without the chicken
    513 calories with the chicken
  • mroberts2702
    mroberts2702 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    my fav is a whole wheat pita with 1/4 cup pizza sauce(ragu) and 1/4 cup sargento 4 cheese 2%.. pop it in the over on broil till cheese is melted. it rocks!! the pita gives it a thicker bottom then a tortilla!:smile:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I make my own using whole wheat pitas, either normal pitas or the greek ones with no pockets.

*using a lil tomato paste, some skim cheese, chopped veggies, make your fave pizza at home

* the one i make most often and is super yum is pesto chicken pizza
    -greek pita
    -pesto spread out thinly on the pita (i just use the classico one if i dont have any fresh on hand)
    -chopped up cooked/left over chicken
    -sliced onion (i use red)
    - skim mozza or whatever cheese you like, only need about an ounce grated. and maybe even a lil crumble of feta
    - pop it under the broiler til the cheese melts, super yummo!

could also do this with a bbq chicken pizza or whatever your fave is. guilt free, add a salad and you're good to go
  • picsandlit
    picsandlit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does this work with wheat flour, or have you tried?
  • kiwiraz
    kiwiraz Posts: 34
    Options
    My problem with pizza is that I can eat a whole one without any help! I have looked at the healthier pizza recipes and came up with an idea I plan to try next week. Since pizza dough is terrible for calories and everything else, I plan to use pita bread as the dough and put grilled chicken and veggies on for toppings. With regular pizza sauce and a little cheese sprinkled on top I think it will be delicious...and I won't feel bad eating it all!
  • filly
    filly Posts: 11
    Options
    It's dinnertime over here, and I'm eating pizza!

I make my own, with a wholegrain tortilla as the base (I much prefer thin based pizzas)

Tonight I have tomato paste, coriander (cilantro) paste, shrimp, zucchini strips, and crumbled feta cheese

It's really yummy, and it's relatively low in calories (the feta has the most calories).

I love pizza, and with this one I can eat the whole thing without feeling too guilty :smile:
  • txcwgirl
    txcwgirl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Look into those single serving pizza's if you want something fast. I had one of the California Kitchen (450 cal) ones last night and I must say it was good. Of course I cooked it in the oven not the microwave. I ate a salad on the side and it satisfied me and my pizza craving.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Meatsa pizza (meat crust)

Instead of a traditional flour/dough crust, try a meat crust.
    Mix ground beef and ground sausage together [or ground beef and ground chicken or turkey for a lighter variety], form into a 'crust' on the pan [I use a pie plate] and top as usual with a little pizza sauce, onion, green pepper, fresh spinach, tomatoes, etc., and a little skim milk mozzarella. Bake in the oven 45 minutes. Your gut will thank you. More satisfying than regular pizza, less gas [for those who are affected] and no guilt. Everything is healthy.
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    I second the pita. (Use whole wheat.) When baked, it tastes just like pizza crust! And nice and small so you CAN eat the whole thing. I've had twice for dinner this week:

1 WW pita
    1/4 cup organic pizza sauce
    1/4 cup 2% mozz. cheese
    1/2 link Jennie-O sweet italian sausage (They have spicy too, but I LOOOVE the sweet. Tastes just like "real" sausage)
    Any veggies you want

Remove the sausage from casing and saute until cooked. Chop up into pieces as you cook.
    Spread sauce, cooked sausage, veggies, and cheese onto pita. Bake at 350 for about 8 minutes.

According to my calculations, entire pizza WITH SAUSAGE is only 360 calories.

TIP: Sausage comes in six links per package. I cut them in half and put into a freezer zip-lock bag and keep them in the freezer. A half link defrosts in the microwave on defrost setting in less than a minute.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I have to 3rd the pita suggestion!
    I made pita pizzas last night and my "I don't care what I eat" boyfriend loved it (me too!).
    For each pita
    I used 1 toufayan multigrain pita (best option I saw in a pinch)
    2 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, skillet cooked
    .5 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
    2 tbs chopped onion
    1/8 cup canned tomato sauce
    sprinkle of garlic salt (for sauce)
    sprinkle of dried basil (for sauce)
    2 ounces low moisture part skim mozzeralla (I had grabbed Polly-O at the store)
    Baked it for about 10 minutes at 400*F

YUM! :love: Doing this again tonight (and I work part-time in a pizza place).
    389 calories - and it was a LOT of cheese, so you could cut it down to 1oz cheese & the pizza would be 319 cals; yes the sodium is a little high but not as high as pizza from a pizza joint (920mg. Would be 720 with only 1oz cheese).
    So yeah, I was very full and it was very good and I'm a little sad I didn't discover this 5 months ago.

Edit - typos
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    Just commenting so I can have these recipes in my topics. :)
  • mamacassi
    mamacassi Posts: 131
    Options
    Pizza isn't always bad. Trust me. Just knowing what's in it and what you're putting into the meal is important. Making your own might be good? I do that sometimes, control what's in it. Throw on some veggies.
  • lbpw
    lbpw Posts: 77
    Options
    i use Thomas Sahara wheat pita. just a normal pizza sauce from a can. i add mushrooms and onions and some weight watchers mozzerella cheese. and if i calculate it right its only about 250 calories if that. and its really good.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Quick, lazy pizza:

Thomas BetterStart English Muffin, Multi-Grain, 100cal
    Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce, Any Brand, 2 tbsp, 50cal at max
    Fresh spinach leaves, 10-15cal
    Dried Oregano, 5cal
    White & Black Pepper, 10cal
    slice of onion, minced & mixed with the pasta sauce, 15cal
    Cheese (parmesan, mozzarella, goat cheese is great here), 100-200cal, depending

Put the oven to 300 and pop the 2 muffin halves in for about 6 minutes. You can also use a toaster oven. Better than the 350+ calories of salted, overprocessed grease you're getting from the fast food place. And this probably doesn't take as long as the delivery guy, either!
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Heh... It's cruel isn't it? makes you just wanna hit those girls that stay size 2-4 and can eat whatever they want. There are two ways of doing this. Either you can resolve to work-out enough to burn 1000 calories in one session (and you can, you just need to sacrifice your soul to the fitness gods) and eat your exercise cal's OR you can compromise.
    I've found a base made with pita bread (or a low-carb, low-fat tortilla) with some tomato pasta sauce, varied vegetables and a sprinkle of chopped, thin slice ham and a spatter of cheese usually comes in at about 300 cal's. It's filling but I would say that experimenting with tastes and flavors is the way to find new favorites. It's the meat and cheese that's gonna really put the extra fat & cal's on the recipe so just use enough for taste and texture and stay away from the pep. That stuff is really badddd. LOL.