Regular soda vs diet soda

Options
Ok so we all know that soda is bad for us....period. There's no getting around it. And for those of us counting calories, we all reach for the diet soda so we don't have to count those in our daily intake. But I've read several articles that diet soda is actually worse for you than regular soda....any thoughts? I am going on day three of no soda at all, but once I'm a ways down the road, I may want to have a few on occasion and wanted to know if I should go for a regular soda or diet soda.

Let me know what you all think/have read, etc...I'm curious :)

THANKS!!!

Replies

• oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't have a problem with diet soda. My only gripe about regular is that it's just too much of a waste of calories. I typically drink diet, but don't drink nearly as much as I used to. I'd go with diet for the sole reason of barely any calories.
  • LydsVille77
    LydsVille77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    All of the studies and research is very early. Theres no hard evidence that it directly causes anything bad. Studies show a correlation between bad health and diet soda, but thats more because of lifestyles that go with soda. And im sure if youre drinking a multitude of cans a day of course it cant be good because of sodium and other things, but generally speaking, theres no proof that one here and there will hurt. Heres a helpful link: http://www.diabetesmine.com/2012/03/whats-so-bad-about-diet-soda.html
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Diet soda, FTW.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Calculate the ADI for artificial sweeteners based on your bodyweight: http://www.nafwa.org/sweetener.php
  • sarahjdodson
    sarahjdodson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I'm going to have to watch this post!! My FH is CONSTANTLY drinking diet pepsi... i have never been a big carbonated drink person, so i consume soda very rarely (it burns!!). but we are constantly getting into debates about diet sodas being "bad" for you. From everything I have always read, diet soda is just as bad as regular soda... I vaguely remember Dr. Oz doing a show about diet drinks and did a presentation with the amounts of artificial sweetner in them and i remember being very surprised by what he was saying- I may ahve to do some digging on his site...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Calculate the ADI for artificial sweeteners based on your bodyweight: http://www.nafwa.org/sweetener.php

^ This.

I do believe soda (even diet) is bad for tooth enamel. I'm not even the slightest bit concerned about artificial sweeteners for anyone that's consuming a few sodas per day.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

^ This.

I do believe soda (even diet) is bad for tooth enamel. I'm not even the slightest bit concerned about artificial sweeteners for anyone that's consuming a few sodas per day.

in other words, dont bathe in it and drink it all?
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda. Not because I think it's bad for me, I just really don't like it. However, given all the research I've read about pros and cons of soda/diet soda, I don't think there is enough evidence to label it as "bad for you."

If you are able to fit it into your day and stay under your calories while getting proper nutrition, then there's no reason not to have it if you prefer.
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Diet soda

Will

Kill you.

tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif
  • tynishabeezfit
    tynishabeezfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    ^^^^lol.

I like my teeth and pop has a lot of sugar, but so does juice and other things. I'll stick with water, almond milk and tea. :)
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    ^^^^lol.

I like my teeth and pop has a lot of sugar, but so does juice and other things. I'll stick with water, almond milk and tea. :)

The chemicals in diet soda will strip the enamel off your teeth- making cavities just as possible. If you want to save your teeth- ditch the soda, even if it is diet.
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    For some people the caffeine in soda (or coffee for that matter) can act as an appetite stimulant.
  • skipperlk
    Options
    I need to follow this thread, I drink diet soda all the time. I've been thinking about giving it up but seem to be addicted.
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    I don't like carbonated drinks, beer, soda what ever it is. So I don't drink them, lucky me I guess. If I did drink them I would Probably go with regular soda because artificial sweeteners give me horrible headaches. I think I may be allergic to them. You can have the real thing just use moderation. 1 small can a day wont kill you or make you gain weight as long as all your diet is balanced.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have 8 to 12 ounces of diet soda a day. I don't care for the taste of regular soda or the calories in it. Do I think diet soda is unhealthy?...yea probably, but you'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. At least I'm keeping it in moderation :drinker:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Ok so we all know that soda is bad for us....period.
    Not me.

Non-diet is sugary, but not as sugary as pure fruit juice.
    However sucrose rather than a mix with I believe mostly fructose.

If your body has problems with the sweeteners used then it's probably not a good idea.
    But the same for any other allergies etc.

I've yet to see any good research that shows a direct link between diet soda and 'badness'.
    The vast majority of stuff written on the internet seems pretty pure woo.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    The best one would be ....... NONE, stop drinking SODA!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The research on diet sodas causing weight gain are largely based around the concept that the illusion of sugar creates a need to fill that void and people will snack more. Maybe there's evidence to suggest that amongst the general population, I haven't looked at the studies in a huge amount of depth, but as with all the studies that say "x makes you gain weight because it leads to snacking" (like the idea that people who don't eat first thing eat more because they are more likely to snack) if you're on here and tracking everything then it's all immaterial. Maybe a study suggests I will be more likely to snack if I have a diet Coke or two one day, but I track every thing that goes into me and can am quite certain that I don't.

Regular, on the other hand, is just drinking sugar. No two ways about it really.
  • MagicWhispers
    Options
    i personally hate the taste of all diet sodas. Every day i open a can of mountain dew and split it with my 26 year old daughter.. i love the taste, and just that little bit satisfies me.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have no plans to stop drinking soda. Sometimes diet, sometimes regular, but always ice-cold and delicious. :drinker: