Yay or Nay to this...

Options
Okay holidays are coming up. Now not everyone celebrates christmas, thanksgiving etc. but regardless October, November and December are the months of those icky delicious foods we all know we LOVE. So my question is: (actually I have two)

1.) Do you eat whatever you want on holiday dinners or get togethers, or do you portion out even these events?
2.) If you know all the kinds of food you will be eating on these events, holidays, get togethers do you bump up your exercise before eating those things?

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    pretty much why i try to add more muscle during winter time... cuz yea im gonna go HAM on all of that food.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want...its only 1 day...consider it a cheat day....if you want to go punish yourself at the gym for it...all the better....I'll probably be doing that also...if you dont...who cares..its 1 day in a month.

Let me clarify: I am assuming you aren't talking about putting down 10-15K in calories. To me, binging on Thanksgiving/Christmas dinners is like 2000-2500ish ontop of another 1000 or so from the day...so my day will be around 3-3.5K...not a huge deal. If you plan on making your day 15K....that is a different story...I'd recommend not. :)
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    According to a friend of mine..it's not what you eat between Christmas and new year that counts but what you eat between New Year and Christmas..

For me I am not in control of what I eat when I am away from home, but I am in control of how much of it I eat and whether I can fit in some exercise too..
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Last xmas I was quite far from my goal, so I was really careful about food, and only had a small portion of xmas dinner, and didn't buy any chocolates at all, apart from some to hang on the tree. The gym was closed on xmas day and boxing day, but I was back the day after.

This year I am going to be much more relaxed about it and i'm going to allow myself to eat whatever I like on xmas day and boxing day. I'll probably make some xmas cookies or something, or some cupcakes. I prefer to do that than to buy something. I'm in the habit of eating smaller portions anyway, so I doubt I'll overeat. The gym will be closed, but we'll be taking our kids out. Running round after a 3 year old and a 1 year old is pretty good exercise!
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Great question and one I have thought about a lot lately. For Thanksgiving and Christmas, I am going to only eat food that isn't part of my daily plan on those days only (not the days leading up to or after). I am going to have a reasonable serving size of everything that i want and will also add in some extra exercise before and after. I think this is a great balance for me. I am looking forward to enjoying the food and festivities, but it won't set my progress back. I have worked too hard to slide back into old routines!
    28848 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A little bite of everything that I truly enjoy....and regular portions of those things that are the most healthy. A long walk on those days should help too!

Getting into a great holiday outfit makes all the food a little less meaningful to me.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    oxSfT.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't totally pig out but I also don't abstain. I focus on food that I don't get to have all the time-- mashed potatoes, spiral cut ham, my grandma's homemade rolls. I usually skip anything that I don't love to eat, and I keep my portions pretty small.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I eat whatever I can... it's always good for the body to take "diet" breaks and break the calorie deficit. It helps normalize hormones.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I do not count calories on actual holiDAYS! That's not fun!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about any of it. A couple days won't hurt. I got hog wild if it's delicious, or I just eat until I'm satisfied if it isn't amazing.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I generally try and enjoy the things that are only around that time of year but in moderation. I feel like crap if I eat too much though so that's not worth it to me no matter what time of year it is. I will also be making sure I don't take much of an exercise break. no need for a double whammy!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Me during Thanksgiving

SvGzX.gif

Me during the entire month of December

0EtTP.gif
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I eat everything... but I make sure to get a workout in in the morning so I don't feel bad one bit :smokin:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Me during Thanksgiving

SvGzX.gif

Me during the entire month of December

0EtTP.gif

AeffinMEN
  • Thick2Fit1991
    Options
    Most I have ever done on a Christmas dinner was about 2700 calories, and thats because I had cake and pie -_-
    I am just wondering what everyone does around these times. I usually eat what I want. I have never been a big eater
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Most I have ever done on a Christmas dinner was about 2700 calories, and thats because I had cake and pie -_-
    I am just wondering what everyone does around these times. I usually eat what I want. I have never been a big eater

That is how many calories I do on a daily basis. Go ahead, it's ok to splurge. I f you want, minimize stuff like break and increase veggie and meat intake. But pie/cake is essential.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Okay holidays are coming up. Now not everyone celebrates christmas, thanksgiving etc. but regardless October, November and December are the months of those icky delicious foods we all know we LOVE. So my question is: (actually I have two)

1.) Do you eat whatever you want on holiday dinners or get togethers, or do you portion out even these events?
    2.) If you know all the kinds of food you will be eating on these events, holidays, get togethers do you bump up your exercise before eating those things?

For the Holidays, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day I eat whatever I want and enjoy every bite. I try to bump up my workouts around that time for an extra burn. I found for me - the trick about the holidays is not letting 1 day of fun food turn into a whole week. I enjoy my holiday and then next day I'm right back to healthy eating and portion control.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    all my family has moved to different parts of the country and money is to tight to travel just for a few days so my thanksgiving and christas dinner will be just like any other night.....maybe ill buy a pumpkin pie and eat the whole thing just for something to do
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    29363117.jpg