Yay or Nay to this...

Options

Replies

• twerkthat
    twerkthat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Everyone has there cheat day or days :grumble: but try your best to sick with your portions...you won't regret that decision :wink:
  • LeighAnna115
    Options
    If I try to portion during holiday dinners my family goes nuts! "It's thanksgiving Leigh Anna eat some damn food, you're mother worked very heard preparing this delicious meal!"

So yeah I just indulge when with the fam and then bump up the exercise. The holidays come but once a year..
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Okay holidays are coming up. Now not everyone celebrates christmas, thanksgiving etc. but regardless October, November and December are the months of those icky delicious foods we all know we LOVE. So my question is: (actually I have two)

1.) Do you eat whatever you want on holiday dinners or get togethers, or do you portion out even these events?
    2.) If you know all the kinds of food you will be eating on these events, holidays, get togethers do you bump up your exercise before eating those things?

I bump up exercise and allow myself say ONE cookie and ONE spponful of those mashed potatoes with butter. Nothing too crazy.
  • LadyRhodes01
    LadyRhodes01 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Well, since I've known about it in advance. I'm eating whatever I want. I was at my goal weight, and decided to lose 5 lbs under to prepare. But, if not, I would still pig out. Hell, Thanksgiving is distance from Christmas, so I would still have time to work it off before the next holiday. But think about it. We are all watching cals. Our stomachs aren't as big as our eyes.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Depends on my mood and my goals at that moment. If I want to eat it that bad then I will.
    If I'm able to exercise it off, cool.

Honestly, every weekend is a party or event of some kind where I have to think about whether or not to eat all of the food or drink all the beer. There is no week at the office that doesn't involve someone bringing in pastries or breakfast burritos or offering me leftover Cambodian food.

So, xmas and Turkey Day are just two more days that I get to choose how much I eat versus how I'm fitting into my clothes at the moment.

It's all about balance and being happy. Being *actually* happy.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've never dieted through ANY holiday before..so this year will be interesting. I HOPE to plan it out and keep portions under control.

omg your Avi is so cute!
    That puppy looks very concerned with the pumpkin *giggle*
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Whatever I want.

I gonna pay for it some time ... either right before or right after ... but I don't plan that far ahead ... but I WILL burn every calorie and then some :)
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Probably the same for most families, Food and get togethers go hand in hand. Some treats are only made for these occasions. So I plan on eating mostly what I want. While I'm still pretty new on this site, I've found that paying attention to my weekly average is just as effective and my less stressful than religiously eating the same number of calories every day. Some days I exercise and/or I'm not as hungry and I bank those calories for the days when I am starving, eating out, parties, etc...

Your body doesn't ration you on a daily basis, it's the long run that counts.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    a) I will eat whatever I want on those two days
    b) I will log whatever I eat
    c) I noticed last year that I WANTED to eat more sanely (though still indulgently) on those days - i.e. 2k calories at the meal instead of 5k calories (sorry to confuse you Europeans two thousand vs. five thousand kilocalories)
    d) I will definitely try to step up my exercise. Mostly with walking, but maybe another couple of strength days. I want make good use of my resupplied glycogen stores. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want at holiday dinners. But generally that means I will eat less than I used to, just because I'm used to eating smaller portions now. I don't care about the calories, it's just one day.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I can... it's always good for the body to take "diet" breaks and break the calorie deficit. It helps normalize hormones.

I agree. I am happy with just maintaining between Thanksgiving and Christmas. My birthday, my son's bday and a couple other family members in there as well, so lots of added splurge meals on top of the holidays for me. I have 11 other months out of the year to worry about it!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Thankfully Thanksgiving is already over for me, but I'm not too worried about Christmas. Everyone already knows not to buy me my own boxes of chocolate (I could devour a large box of ferrero rocher in 5 minutes if I let myself)

I'm going to have whatever I want, but in reasonable portions and load up the rest of my plate with veggies. One serving of dessert and no more than 1 or 2 glasses of wine.

Boxing day, the place we go to brunch has the best eggs benedict I've ever had, and I will definitely be enjoying them this year too. :)

New Years Eve...i don't really drink much anymore so not a big deal...but New Years day our tradition is always to go to Chinese buffet so that may be a bit of a splurge.

But like everyone else said, if you are committed to your weight loss and healthy eating, a few days is barely a bump in the road.
  • SlimSharonSlim
    SlimSharonSlim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi, NO !!!! Don't go mad and eat all the calorific food, not to mention the fat count.

Just eat in moderation and fill up with low cal soft drinks too

:)
  • Cougarita65
    Cougarita65 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I still portion what I eat, I will eat some of the goodies, but I try not to go crazy.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This will be my first Thanksgiving and Christmas in Florida with the Hubby's family. So I'm thinking that there will be some new dishes for me to try. So It will be at least a spoon full of everything (somewhere between a tablespoon and half a serving spoon). And later when I go back for more I'll only have another helping of those I really liked most. I'm not a fan of the stuffed full feel so I know that I won't have to worry too much. But my intention is to work out the day before and after. And if I am really blessed I'll get at least a walk in on both those days too. But I won't stress out one little bit if I'm way over my calories cause then that defeats the enjoyment of the day.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I plan to watch my portions and get extra exercise. I've "fallen off the wagon" for Christmas before and not gotten back on track until September of the following year.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want on those days...usually betweenThanksgiving and Christmas I indulge more than I do any other time of the year.

I do try and do a killer workout on Thanksgiving morning (a nice 5 mile run and some weight training) and I keep up or even amp up my workouts that whole month.

It all balances out in the end. I may gain a couple of pounds but they are gone by January.
  • MissEmmi
    MissEmmi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like your friends thinking...
  • makkman
    makkman Posts: 212
    Options
    I chose to eat like a crazy man
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat whatever the heck I like for a few days and will not be logging it because that's no fun. I'll get back into it straight afterwards and probably save up some calories beforehand.