Halloween Etiquette

Options
13»

Replies

• gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Tonight, a lot of creatures may visit your door. Be open minded. The child who is grabbing more than one piece of candy might have poor fine motor skills. The child who takes forever to pick out one piece of candy might have motor planning issues. The child who does not say "trick or treat" or "thank you" might be painfully shy, non-verbal, or selectively mute. If you cannot understand their words, they may struggle with developmental apraxia of speech. They are thankful in their hearts and minds. The child who looks disappointed when he sees your bowl might have a life-threatening allergy. The child who isn't wearing a costume at all might have Sensory Processing Disorder or autism. And as we all know, the child who is rolling their eyes at you may have Tourette's Syndrome. Be kind, be patient, smile. It's everyone's Halloween. Make a parent feel good by making a big deal of their special child. Please share and remind others

This is my opinion. other than that be nice. Its a kids day.

love love love this. as a mother of children with dietary intolerances and a son with SPD and a speech delay this always brings tears to my eyes because it is so true!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    We got no kids again this year. I miss them. :frown:
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options

Awww! :embarassed: Sorry!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    A teenager banged on my window and said " Ya'll got candy?" Outsider there were like ten kids and four to five adults. The kids did not say thank you, no one said trick or treat or even " Happy Halloween"

Im glad I gave out cheap candy because next year I will be giving out NONE
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

I got like 6 kids last year, so 36 this year was a big improvement. But, at my childhood house we would get about 200 sometimes. When I think of that it makes me sad :(
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    A teenager banged on my window and said " Ya'll got candy?" Outsider there were like ten kids and four to five adults. The kids did not say thank you, no one said trick or treat or even " Happy Halloween"

THIS is why manners should still be expected. Just because it's Halloween, that doesn't mean good manners aren't to be expected. You're going up to people's houses asking for free candy, it's hardly unreasonable to expect a "trick or treat!" and a "thank you."
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have to say I think the whole concept of "Halloween Etiquette" is a bit of an oxymoron.So you're fine with the concept of little kids dressing up in all kinds of hideous costumes & begging on your doorstep for candy...but you want them to use their manners??!! I'm pretty sure the grim reaper doesn't have any manners. Not sure that Halloween is the ideal occasion for attempting to instill good values in children!!

I am taken aback by comments like this. The kids that came to my door tonight were pleasant and appreciative. I didn't notice what percentage said, "Trick of treat," but it was most of them. And as they left there was always a chorus of thank yous.
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

THIS is why manners should still be expected. Just because it's Halloween, that doesn't mean good manners aren't to be expected. You're going up to people's houses asking for free candy, it's hardly unreasonable to expect a "trick or treat!" and a "thank you."

Thank you!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Tonight, a lot of creatures may visit your door. Be open minded. The child who is grabbing more than one piece of candy might have poor fine motor skills. The child who takes forever to pick out one piece of candy might have motor planning issues. The child who does not say "trick or treat" or "thank you" might be painfully shy, non-verbal, or selectively mute. If you cannot understand their words, they may struggle with developmental apraxia of speech. They are thankful in their hearts and minds. The child who looks disappointed when he sees your bowl might have a life-threatening allergy. The child who isn't wearing a costume at all might have Sensory Processing Disorder or autism. And as we all know, the child who is rolling their eyes at you may have Tourette's Syndrome. Be kind, be patient, smile. It's everyone's Halloween. Make a parent feel good by making a big deal of their special child. Please share and remind others

This is my opinion. other than that be nice. Its a kids day.

^ Thank you for saying this. You are so correct. :flowerforyou:

p.s. You are my hero!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I have to say I think the whole concept of "Halloween Etiquette" is a bit of an oxymoron.So you're fine with the concept of little kids dressing up in all kinds of hideous costumes & begging on your doorstep for candy...but you want them to use their manners??!! I'm pretty sure the grim reaper doesn't have any manners. Not sure that Halloween is the ideal occasion for attempting to instill good values in children!!

There's never a wrong time to instill good values and manners in your kids. In fact, the fact that they are "begging for candy" is even more of a reason to say thanks. If all the kids that showed up were schmucks, no one would do it any longer.