anyone on 800 calories diet?

Options

Replies

• emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    So a lot of peoples answers were really snarky and at a certain point I stopped reading. I have been on an "800" calorie diet for 13 months now... HOWEVER...

1) I had weight loss surgery (vertical sleeve) and I have had to deal with hair loss and fatigue. It was worth it to me.
    2) I have been under my doctor and surgeon(s) (I switched to a new one) care the entire time with regular check ups and lab work. My numbers are PERFECT!
    3) I am not a crazy dieter. If I want ice cream, I'll have some!
    4) I am at the point where I am choosing to up my calories, especially when I work out.
    5) I have hit stalls, but I have also lost 133lbs... stalls can happen no matter what type of diet you are on. You just deal with them as they come.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i eat anywhere from 800 to 1000 or 1100, but i'm also diagnosed with ednos. i won't tell you to eat more since that would be hypocritical of me, just make sure you be safe and don't get really sick
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've never attempted to. That's extremely small at least for me.... I thought 1200 calories ( the body naturally uses that daily just to function) was the smallest calorie limit someone should have. ( I remember reading something about this in my nursing biology book) Especially if you work out. The only people I know of that may do that are gastric bypass patients....and even then I THINK it's temporary...until they're bodies adjust. Not sure though....
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've had weight loss surgery, so my calories are anywhere between 500-800 a day. I take prescribed multi vitamins, sublingual B12, extra iron, and calcium. I think low calorie diets are o.k. if you focus on protein and vegetables. Long term, though, I wouldn't recommend it. Years ago I was on 1200 calories for a long time, even after my weight reached low normal levels and a lot of problem occurred. I also believe that ANY weight loss attempts should be monitored by a physician.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    per meal
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    I'm on an 800 calorie diet where I eat 800 calories, and then I eat 700 more. It's worked great for me.

I'm on an 800 calorie diet PLUS about 1300
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No...I eat waaaaaaay more than that.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    q: anyone on 800 calories diet?

a: yes, eating disordered people
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Nope. I learned my lesson and don't do that kinda garbage anymore. My body has thanked me!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    No, I eat between 1800-2200 a day. Works for me.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    um.... hey people..... my 2 yr old eats more than that. :noway:
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    um.... hey people..... my 2 yr old eats more than that. :noway:

haha! the first time I read this I just glanced and thought you said that your 2yr old cat eats more than that!

But seriously, girl... it is not healthy to lose at such a fast rate. If you plan on doing this GO SEE A DOCTOR. Monitor your weight loss. But I would suggest trying to lose weight slow. I know, I know... not something you want to hear. But seriously. Losing weight at a rapid pace will make your body be all like, "What? No more food? Well, might as well eat some of your muscles while I'm at it. NOMNOMNOM GOOD MUSCLES. Meaty muscles! So... hungry.... need more muscles..."
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Jeez.. I eat more than 800 calories of fat everyday.. today I ate 1179 calories worth of fat! :happy:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Unless you are obese and/or under the supervision of your doctor, you should not do this, and it will probably be very bad for you.

Dangers of a Very Low Calorie Diet

Many diets limit calories, but diets that limit calorie intake to as little as 500 to 800 calories a day are considered very low calorie diets. These commercially prepared formulas come packaged in shakes and soups that replace normal food for several weeks or months. As was stated previously, following this type of diet should be done under medical supervision. In fact, the only time these diets are actually recommended are for obese people on a specialized program because they are suffering other health issues that losing weight will improve.

Health Risks

Beyond the danger of lowering your metabolism and losing lean muscle there are more serious health risks associated with very low calorie diets. Major risks related to starvation or semi-starvation diets for severely obese patients site occurrences of sudden death due to ventricular arrhythmias. Correlation has been shown between the duration of the diet and the amount of protein and essential minerals ingested as contributing factors. Deficiencies play an important part in increasing chances of developing an electrically unstable heart.

Who Should Follow a VLCD?

Because of the health risks associated with very low calorie diets, they are normally restricted to people who suffer from moderate to severe obesity and are experiencing other weight-related health issues. However, very low calorie diets are not appropriate for the following people unless they are taking part in a specialized program to treat obesity.

source:
    http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Dangers_of_a_Very_Low_Calorie_Diet
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    21991008.jpg

the-angry-mob.png

:laugh: :laugh:
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    That;s just cooky talk, 800 calories a day is not the answer if you are hoping to maintain longterm weight loss... In fact, after you lose a few pounds your body will think it's starving and you will not lose another ounce at that calorie count...
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm on an 800 calorie diet where I eat 800 calories, and then I eat 700 more. It's worked great for me.

Haha... This is me.
  • happilyeveractive
    happilyeveractive Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I actually gain weight when I eat too little. Be sure to fuel your body! Exercise AND diet equals best results. Good luck :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm on almost 800 for dinner, and then 800 after a long bike ride or run. And then 800 for breakfast and lunch. Am I up to 3000 yet?
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    this is from livestrong:

A VLCD is reserved for those with a body mass index, or BMI, of greater than 30, which is considered obese. To put it into perspective, if you are at a healthy body weight, you have a BMI of 18.5 to 24.9. VLCDs can be dangerous for those who are pregnant or breastfeeding; children, teens and those over 50 years of age; or those with some preexisting medical conditions. Before a VLCD is prescribed, each patient is evaluated on a case-by-case basis to determine if a VLCD is a safe option for weight loss.

Side Effects of a VLCD
    Patients who are following VLCDs often complain of fatigue, constipation, nausea and diarrhea. A VLCD can also increase the risk of experiencing more serious side effects. The most common serious side effect is the formation of gallstones, which are more common in women who are experiencing rapid weight loss. When adolescents or children consume a VLCD, their growth and development may be in jeopardy. It is extremely important that those who attempt a VLCD to lose weight are under the care of a medical professional in case any side effects present themselves.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/396404-side-effects-of-a-very-low-calorie-diet/

she has 18kg to loose... I'm guessing she is not morbidly obese, or has a BMI over 30, so if you want to tell her its ok, your position isn't backed up by evidence.
This discussion has been closed.