I need help! Wine drinkers Please!

Options
microwoman999
microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
An update to those who have helped already. I emailed the cabin place and they responded! Thanks I know its still vague but I really appreciate it!
So my husband and I are going to a cabin this weekend Well this cabin gives a complimentary wine and we are not big on wine so much, but I do like fruity drinks and so does he. Since its complimentary we do want to try and pick one that we might like. So the choices we have are .................

Red Wine (Merlot)

White Wine (Chardonnay)

Champagne

For a person who does not drink wine which should we choose? We do want to try out some wine especially cause it is complimentary . Please and Thank You! I really appreciate your thoughts and we just would like to have a special weekend together.

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I would request a white Zinfandel. (it's actually pinkish) tell them the special occasion and could they please accomodate it. (there is no price difference)

If they can't go with the white they offer, merlot is very over powering.

Have fun!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Champagne! It's bubbly and fun :)
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I like white better, preferrably chardonnay. It's very smooth. Go for champagne, the bubbles are really what makes it!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Champagne is nice mixed with orange juice if the flavour is not to your palate. I'd get that, have a little taste without the juice and see how it is. I find the first few sips usually quite bitter, but it gets better by the end of the glass!
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Champagne!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Most likely they are all cheap ..... So the merlot and chard will be the worst and maybe the champagne won't reak! I love wines and champagne but unless they are sharing vintage and year, forget it! Choose what you think you'll like. Free wines aren't usually good ones!

But! Have a delicious time!!!
  • littlemsmetal
    Options
    I'm a wine associate at Total Wine and would definitely recommend Merlot out of the three choices you listed. Generally speaking Merlot tends to be big fruit, smooth and easy to drink.
  • tursiart
    Options
    I love wine so I'd be all over that offer.
    Since you don't drink too often, I'd say go with the Champagne. Even if you don't like it (though I think you will) you can always mix it with OJ and make a Mimosa cocktail. Yum.
  • JessPaul93016
    JessPaul93016 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For you two, I would suggest the white wine. I think you both would enjoy it more than the red. Hoping you have tons of fun!! :drinker:
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    White Zin.
  • SammyOD
    Options
    I love wine but for a non-wine drinker, I would suggest the Champagne and bring along some Orange Juice for Mimosas. Yummy!
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I love wine but for a non-wine drinker, I would suggest the Champagne and bring along some Orange Juice for Mimosas. Yummy!

This!

Wine for new drinkers can be a very bad experience when you are not guided through it. This website gives a great, simple walk-through of wine types and flavors. http://www.basic-wine-knowledge.com/different-types-of-wines.html
  • pascale485
    pascale485 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Champagne, you can put frozen fruits and orange juice in it,
    I do the same thing with white wine when I feel like I need it more fruity.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    if those are your only 3 choices, and you like fruity drinks, I would pick the Champagne. Chardonny is typically not sweet, and merlot can be a bit of a shock to the taste buds if you aren't a wine drinker. Just my two cents.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I like Merlot.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I would choose the champagne in that case but you might be able to get Moscato. It is a sweet, fruity wine.
  • Lora_
    Lora_ Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    go for the white, and if they have Moscato, take it, it's deliciously sweet!
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Do you plan on eating anything while drinking it? If you're eating a heavier dinner (steak, pork, etc), I'd go with the Merlot. If you're having light fare or snacks, go with the Chardonnay. If no food or just want to celebrate, go with the champagne. More than likely they will all be cheapo but I have yet to turn down free alcohol.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    My favorite of those listed is Merlot. I like red wines over whites because they have a bolder flavor though. Champagne gives me a headache immediately so I'd never recommend that. Not to say it would do that to you but I'd still recommend the red wine.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    If you don't really drink wine, I would ask if they could get a white zinfandel or a grenache (which is a nice fruity red). But with the choices you have I would go with the white wine. Champagne is always really disappointing unless its good French champagne, which is generally expensive. And merlot, for me, can be really hit or miss.