Why won't I exercise?

Options

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the morning thing. I have a million excuses after work why I can't exercise. But if I get up and do it, it's done for the day
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories, lowering carbs, and boosting protein intake for 3 months. I've lost 19 lbs. I am being monitored by a physician. I am supposed to be exercising but I have NO MOTIVATION to do it. When I get home from work all I want to do is eat my 400 calorie dinner and veg. I even have resistance tubes and a kettle bell which I basically could use in front of the TV. Last winter I worked out or treadmilled almost everyday for two months and I felt great! I know what it can do for me, the weight would come off even faster....I just can't seem to get back on the exercise train. Anyone have any earth shattering suggestions for me? Now, with the weather getting colder and drearier (winter's coming), my interest in exercise has waned even further. Thanks peeps!

I'm sooooo with you! I got to Taekwondo classes twice a week (my bf is the instructor - so I have no excuses that will validly work lol). Other than that though, I find it hard to get motivated. I travel 40 mins morning and night to get to work, and sit at a desk from 8-4. Go home, cook supper, homework with the kids, bit of light housework, prepare lunches for the next day, then I'm ready for bed. I've read all of your replies and most of them are very sensible.......... it's just getting that GET UP N GO! Wish it came in a bottle! Congrats on the weight loss, and hopefully we can both get motivation from SOMEWHERE! :huh:

Get up starting 45 minutes earlier, take a 5 hour energy and go for a walk befor the kids get up. @ birds, one 30minute time span. After two weeks, increase the walk time (45 minutes) or distance (go faster for same amount of time). when you think you can start the c25k program... trains beginners to get off the couch and run a 5k... it is a 20 minute program designed for 3 days a week :) Just remember, increase and push yourself out of comfort zones for maximum calorie burns. And light weights to carry are great too
  • Dragonfleyes
    Options
    After reading your post and some of the other replies. I think the biggest thing you should realize is that you're not alone. Seems like most people don't like to exercise, and probably really loathe the idea...

However I'm like you. Kind of in a rut right now NOT wanting to exercise. I'm just this past week and a half getting back into losing weight and trying to make life long changes. The few times I've MADE myself get up and work out, I've felt really happy and good during and afterwards. I went through all my music and even through iTunes to find more hip/hop music that I like to dance around to. It helps me get in the mood. So I might start off my walk hating life, however a few songs in and I'm ready to dance my day away while walking. On my treadmill I truly just LOVE to walk, dance a little (kinda hard to really dance on a moving treadmill), I do arm lifts and punches all the while listening to music that helps make me move. I don't normally listen to hip/hop when not exercising, I usually listen to rock or country. However that music doesn't motivate me.

Also some things that help me:

I get on fairly early in my day. After I get my kids to school/bus stop, I literally get on and walk while still in my pj's. I have an extra pair of Nike's that sit right there on my treadmill. I never put them away, they are simply just there for when I walk on my treadmill. I slip them on without socks, (I know gross- the only time I do so though), and just start walking. I tell myself, in order to get online/facebook/blog, whatever, or in order to sit down and read a book or make a blanket, watch tv, etc.. whatever it is I WANT to do for the day, I make myself walk first. I have to earn my privileges. That seems to help also. And instead of telling yourself you HAVE to walk EVERY DAY. Maybe just start with walking 2 or 3 times a week, every other day. And then on those days of NOT walking, find something semi-active to do. Even if it's just yoga, or a resistance band, or taking the dog for a walk, take your neighbors dog for a walk, or some highly active house work (I sweep/vac and mop). Something that keeps me busy for at least an hour.

Hope this helps.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise, but once I get into a routine, will do it. Plan to work out at a specific time 2-4 times a week and stick to it for a few weeks. It'll become habit again.

I do it on my way home from work.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    A friend taught me this and it works every time. I trick myself into going to the gym.

When I'm home thinking about how I don't want to go to the gym I tell myself "I'll just go and if I get there and don't want ot exercise I'll come home." So I get there and think "I'm here, I'll work out for ten minutes and then go home if I want." After ten minutes I think "that was easy, I might as well do half an hour" and after half an hour I think "I'm half way there, I can finish up." And presto, I'm done. And after an hour it's easy to remind myself that if I hadn't gone to the gym I'd still be lying on the sofa watching Wheel of Fortune and feeling tired and sorry for myself.

I trick myself, and I fall for it every time. Maybe it will work for you. And congratulations on your 19 lbs!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I found you just need to do it. The more you do it the more it becomes a habit. It becomes just part of what you do every day, like tying your shoe or brushing your teeth.

The more you think about it the more you find reasons to not do it. Just do it.
  • thethingirlinside
    Options
    I would say just don't think about and just do it do some thing fun for short amount of time .once you get into it you will not want to stop so as to reach what ever your time goal is .I love to exercise because I do differant stuff all the time .I view it on the day I really really don't feel like it I do something real easy like my rebounder 20 that useally gets me.going to do the something else easy .before I know it I've.burned 300-400 .hope this helps
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I hate the thought of exercising some days too.

If I feel like that, I make a deal with myself, go to the gym for 20 minutes if I still hate it I can go home. Over the course of going to the gym 4-5 times a week over the past 3 months, I have gone home early exactly once. In most cases its not the exercise that is a problem, its just the motivation to starting.
    Yes this!! I have a hard time starting too. Lately, exercising has been very sporadic & this is costing me because I am paying for a gym membership!
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I loathe exercise as well.
    I started the 30 Day Shred because it's 20 minutes and I've seen The Biggest Loser contestants get yelled at by Jillian Michaels and figured that if they can do it, so can I. It kicks your *kitten*. You feel like you've done something. You're done in 20 minutes!! Then you get into the shower and start your day as usual. No gym membership necessary. Just a jog bra, and 2 cans of soup or 3lb weights or 5 lb weights... You don't even really need to put on your sneakers if you don't want to.
    Doing it 1st thing in the morning before you're awake enough to dread it helps. By the time you're aware that you're exercising, you're almost done.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Start small. Dedicate 10 minutes per day to exercise (10 minutes? That's nothing; it will fly by). As you keep it up, and your body adjusts, you will find yourself naturally wanting to do more.

I also suggest looking into fun, random things: dance classes, rock climbing, etc. Living Social has all sorts of great stuff for cheap and you can try new things without having to commit or spend oodles of money.

If you seek it out, you will find your groove and be so happy that you went for it.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. And I never thought I'd ever say that I would enjoy it and look forward to it. But it took just doing it awhile to get there. When you get to the point where you really really want it, you will do it. I also recommend doing it first thing in the morning. But I don't let that be an excuse any more if I miss the morning for some reason, then I do it at night.
  • brendaschoenbs
    Options
    Well, this answer probably won't be popular but I'm being honest - the only times in my life I've felt good about exercise is when I wasn't doing what I call "exercise". I hate gyms. I hate running. I tried it. I even did it for like 90 days straight. And I hated it all 90 days. I also didn't lose a pound.

Then I wore a bodymedia fit for a year and saw where I REALLY burned calories. Playing in the backyard with my kids (okay having kids helps cause they always want to be doing some type of movement but if no kids maybe a sport with friends? walking with friends). I also just try to move when I can. Parking further away wherever I go, using stairs, all that jazz. It really does add up.

My friend lost 90 lbs 7 years ago and never "worked out" yet she's kept it off to this point quite easily but watching what she eats.

Find something fun!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Simply put. You have to CHOOSE to do it.
    Either you want to, or dont.

You dont have to exercise to lose weight, but you will feel better if you do. Additionally, the health benefits are greater if you do.

But until you decide to get off your butt and take action, you never will. Stop thinking about it and CHOOSE.
  • beckyb0724
    beckyb0724 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am too cheap (and too easily intimidated) to go to the gym, so I workout at home. A friend and I jog 3 times a week. We started the Couch 2 5k program a few months ago and are finishing it this weekend. Treat yourself to running shoes, sports bra, cute workout top, anything that will get you in them! I find that putting on my running shoes is the hardest part, but once they are on it forces me to run...(I say run when it's really more of a fast walk :) ) If I didn't have a running partner, I probably wouldn't have continued the program. We motivate each other. Maybe you have a friend, family member, neighbor who would start exercising with you? Nothing says that you have to start balls to the walls either. Nice and slow at first and build your stamina.

Great job on your current weight loss.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    **start off with 10 to 15 min per day of anything ~walking or a bike ride.
    Your body will respond. you just gotta go do it. Soon you will be wanting to work out =)
  • grannylittle
    Options
    Having a balance of right amount of energy for exercise extra. YOu are busy and losing weight... Give yourself time for all adjustments. Keep records. First eat right...drink water.. Get an even losing.psttern. ..then when you are not losing then kick in some exercise to move again. If you are not eating enough then the body stops losing. After you get down to where you want ...you may have lose skin so you need to do toning.

I have been up and down too many times so that changeds your body. I am 71 yrs taking medicine for pain. Each one of the medicine you take ...you have adjustments.

This is my third time losing. I am down 50 lbs with 50 to go. I am thinking it will so much easlier to get up and walk etc. I was told younger to keep it off. I didn't stay on program. Once you lose it...then stay in balance. You just have to take time for yourself every day to stay health.
  • mazza227
    Options
    If you think of excercise as a chore..... youll be less and less motivated to do it. Excercise needs to be a part of your healthy lifestyle.... and if you want to make changes and continue to excercise for the rest of your life... I suggest find something you enjoy! There must be something you like to do... and if not, maybe its time to start exploring... there's so much fun stuff out there!! Check out local classes... maybe get a friend involved..even if you just start with walking to the park with a friend or something. Once you begin to incorporate more exercise into your life... youll notice the benefits... and that should be enough to make you keep going! I always find a buddy is a good motivator, especially in winter. Once youve set a plan, you don't want to let them down.

For me its all about variety.... I can't face the gym everyday... so i dont. I make realistic goals... for example this week I am going to go to the gym at least three times... then on other days I do something else.

Good luck!
  • Afrikangirl
    Afrikangirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    An object in motion tends to stay in motion and an object at rest tends to stay at rest!! Governs more than physics....just get moving no matter how much you hate it. When I am in that mode I remind myself of all the things I have to do ANYWAY for my survival...hate paying bills...but I pay them....not in love with my job all the time but I work. Make it not-negotiable and not-optional!! Think of all the things you have to do...and put this near the top of your list. Your health depends on it.
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Tell us some things you like to do. When I don't want to "exercise" e.g., running outside, treadmill, etc., I look for something else to do. I play with the WII sports, go for a bike ride, walk around the mall/Wal Mart...people watching can burn calories!.
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    The more I exercise, the more I want to exercise. The less I exercise, the less I want to exercise. This is so true for me that on my rest days I desperately want to go to the gym, and the day after my rest day, on a workout day, I desperately don't want to go to the gym.

Think of exercise as an addiction. (It is for some people, lucky!) The more you "Use" the stronger your addiction becomes. Except in this case, it's good.

This is so true ^I^^i^. Motivation is so hard you really have to try and motivate yourself, motivation comes from within. Start by doing more walking and grow into an exercise routine. When people say " OMG! look at how much weight you've lost" That will make you feel so much better. Or when someone says "You look so GREAT!" and they ask you for fitness advice you'll know its worth it.