MY THOUGHTS ON CHEAT MEALS

Options
This is a post from my blog I just started. I have a lot of people who pay attention to me and I wanted to create a way to answer questions and give my opinion on this weight loss journey.

http://www.illustriousfitness.com

I have very strong feelings about cheat meals. When Nick and I started our journey this was one of the first things we were concerned with. Thinking back on it that was very fat thinking of us. We hadn’t been at it for a week and we were already looking to cheat. We haven’t even dedicated ourselves to the healthy food plan and we were already looking for a way back to the dark path. This is a recipe for failure to most, but we used it to transition from bad eats, to healthy. It kept us motivated and sane during our most vulnerable time. The first couple weeks. We justified it by saying, we are switching up our metabolism, and more nonsense. Well 7 months in, 90 pounds down, here is how I feel about cheat meals.

It really isn’t that necessary. After the first couple of weeks, I went months without a cheat meal. While my friend cheated often. Well…he hasn’t seen the results that I have either. Don’t get me wrong, he has seen some amazing results, but not nearly as much as I have. Is it exactly the cheating? I’m not sure. His body just may be harder to burn fat than mine. I do know that I don’t indulge in cheating. I have cheated maybe 4 or 5 times this since March. Some people claim you have to cheat once a week. So I think it’s a good way to transition from bad eating to healthy. Not too many people are built for cold turkey. Not the meat, but just never going back to fast food. A bit of advice would be if you do cheat to track it and stay within your calories. DON’T GO OVERBOARD. Do it after a long streak of healthy eating and amazing workouts. Don’t just cheat because its convenient. Hit a milestone and cheat.

I think that the road to success is discipline. Fast food is what got you here. If a crackhead is trying to get off crack, giving him crack once a week won’t help. Stay focused on your healthy lifestyle and create a formula for success that works for you. This is just my advice.

Comments are welcome. Give me your thoughts and if you have any questions or need help email me at illustriousfitness@gmail.com

Replies

• Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I guess I dont call anything cheating anymore. I have learned a lot from the people here, and it has allowed me to free my mind from obsessing about every little thing, and only being able to have "good for me" foods.

I focus on getting 100 to 120g of protein in every day...for the most part. I let everything else fall into place. I have room every single day for the delicious foods like ice cream, or chocolate that I once thought I had to do without it order to succeed.

I also discovered I was eating way too little...I increased my calories and when I did weight training or cardio was able to eat even more.

Would I have been a little further toward my goals if I had been strict? Maybe...I don't really know.
    BUT i sure am HAPPY right now, and I think there is a lot to be said for that.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I, also, don't think of anything as a cheat meal anymore. But to be honest, my motivation at age 53 was much more intense and purposefull than when I set goals in my 20's, 30's and 40's.

I decided that if my on line coach and doctor set my weight range at 129-139, then I needed to dedicate myself for one year to get there and stick to it. I have and have faithfully logged every day some how. And honestly, it is not that hard to log on to my iPhone or laptop everyday and get that done. On New Years Eve I will dedicate a new year with new fitness goals. For now, I am holding steady to keep my weight in that range and keeping my activity level up!

Cheating sounds like dishonesty. Why not just log what you eat and then evaluate if those types of meals (Dr. Dukan calls them "celebration meals") are something you should have less or more frequently?

It's all about fitness, why work hard to avoid foods when you could be working towards balancing it all out?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think whether or not "cheat" meals are a good idea depends on a lot of things. Not everyone has the same goals, not everyone has the same psychological response to food, and certainly not everyone got here from eating fast food. Personally, I don't have cheat meals because I don't deprive myself from eating what I want through the week. I eat what I like, in appropriate portions, I manage to keep to whatever calorie deficit I choose at the time, and I'm pretty good (getting better) at hitting my macronutrient goals. Could I have lost fat quicker and had better physical results from eating 100% "clean" - only lean meats and green veggies? No doubt. However, my goal isn't to have the perfect body, but to be a smaller size than I was, look better than I did, be in good physical health, and good mental health. And whatever I lose, I want to be pretty sure that I'm going to keep it off forever. I never would have lasted this long without eating the food I like, so my diet of moderation is what works best for me. Some people find incorporating cheat meals is what works best for them. Each to their own. I admire your (OP's) discipline, I just don't aspire to it! :smile:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I use phrase "cheat meal" when I go out of my normal way to eating... a fast food stop or anything like that, anything that I don't eat on a regular basis. I don't know how much of a cheat it is when I log it. I do think that it's a good thing to stray off path (for one meal! not one day, that's a bad idea) now and again but I don't think it's a "safe" thing to do until you're well into changing your eating habits. I know that for me, if I would have given myself room to 'cheat' in the first couple of months, it would have been a disaster. Some people, self included, easily fall into the "Well, I've eaten this, so I may as well eat this" thing and it's just like a giant, rolling snowball.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you stay within your calories then it's not "cheating" it's just "eating". I've lost 50 pounds in less than 3 months and I have cheated 4 times. I have spoken to multiple people who have lost 100+ pounds who cheated 1-2 meals per WEEK and they say it didn't hinder them at all. If calories burned are more than calories consumed, you will lose weight. Changing that for one day will net little difference progress. Just my unprofessional opinion.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    For me, a "cheat" meal is more a matter of forgiveness or leniency. The concept makes it okay to have an occasional, unplanned indugence on the condition that you go BACK to your diet plan afterwards. Your old friend from school is going to be passing through town tonight and you want to go to dinner? Don't feel like you have to obsess about possibly breaking your dietary guidelines. Go, have dinner, enjoy yourselves, and don't freak out about calories. Or you can try to plan ahead so that you're not thinking about calorie counts when your friend wants to talk about "the good old days".

We're coming up on the Holidays. Don't feel bad if you eat more for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner than you should. Those are two days out of 365 in a year. But get back on track the next day and avoid consistenly overeating in the surrounding weeks.

Every now and then, my Grandmother says she wants the family to get together for dinner. There's only ONE restaurant she goes to, and none of its offerings (even the salads) are low-calorie.

But sometimes "cheating" refers to the foods involved. When you consider eating a particular kind of food as a treat to be cheating, then it may be possible to "cheat" more consistently. Absolutely love the fries at Burger King? You can probably keep them in your diet on a recurring basis, but you probably will need to make sure it's the small order and that you don't order a whole combo meal with them. I know there are some people who will have a conniption about the idea that you don't have to avoid fast food like it's the devil incarnate, and of course there are healthier things to eat, but if that indulgence keeps an individual going within the larger parameters, it's worth it in my book.
  • pamcuster
    pamcuster Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I appreciate "[YOUR] THOUGHTS ON CHEAT MEALS!"

To me, the best line in your post is "I think that the road to success is discipline." I have been thinking lately how sheer greed is what causes us so many problems, whether it's greed for money, material possessions, or food and drink. The key to this "success" is to flatly deny ourselves that greed, not to cater to it - as when one *CHEATS*!

(Please note that I'm not saying that money, material possessions, and food/drink are inherently bad...just the insatiable greed for more, more, more...)
  • fitmama419
    Options
    "Cheating" implies that you aren't capable of making a choice. Last time I checked, I was an adult capable of choosing what I eat.

I eat good the majority of the time. If I want something that others would label "bad", I have it. I've lost over 160 pounds in just under 18 months. I think I have a pretty good grasp on my eating.
  • RunningMum2017
    RunningMum2017 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think that the best way to achieve your weight loss and to remain at your weight is through moderation and not calling anything a 'cheat', 'bad' or 'naughty' food. All food for you is good for you in moderation. Different foods provide different things.

I lost a lot of my weight, gosh 10 years ago (I was a very overweight teenager and during my early twenties), I regained alot of that weight 2 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child. I know a lot of people said to me don't worry your are pregnant but if I had the time again (which hopefully I will) I would remember that all foods are good for you in moderation. Anyway my pregnancy weight gain is why I find myself back here in this situation. At the beginning of losing my weight I was determined to cut everything 'bad' out, alcohol, fast food, crisps and chocolate. I don't really struggle with the first two, it is more that last two. I love chocolate, and yes I am a chocoholic! Cutting it out was a bad idea as when I had a bit I would think stuff it tomorrow I won't have any so since I have fallen off the wagon I might as well eat as much as I want. I would not eat any the next day but I would crave it so much!!! Anyway to cut a long story short I have gone back to moderation, if I exercise that day I am allowed some chocolate (just within my normal calories, I don't use my exercise calories).

My one piece of advice to a life time of health and happy eating is everything in moderation, and I will definitely teach that to my children so they don't end up in the cycle I found myself in over 10 years ago and when I was pregnant. Hopefully I am on the way out so you won't see me on this website for too long!
  • Kalebsmommy424
    Kalebsmommy424 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    In my opinion there is no such thing as a "cheat meal" I mean who are you cheating on? Yourself?..makes no sense to me. If you burn off more calories then you consume you will lose weight. Now its totally your choice if you want to be a veggie, fruit, no glute, no carb person. Totally up to u. But I dont plan on living or eating that way until I die. I want to eat the foods I like in moderation..stay within your calories and you will lose weight. It has nothing to do with cheat meals. Its a lifestyle change..
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The problem I have when doing "cheat meals" is they turn into cheat days and then cheat weekends. It doesn't end up well. I went 8 months without 1 cheat meal or even a drink of alcohol (When I drink, it is a lot and then I eat). If I had more will power then I would not have any "cheat meals" ever again. I have the problem of not being able to just eat one cupcake, if you can then that is great, but for me I have to cut that stuff out completely or it will turn bad.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise to eat MORE (like many here do) I exercise to be fit and healthy. "Cheat" days don't exist for me.
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I dont believe it is cheating...that implies you are doing something wrong. All things in moderation. To each their own of course and if it works for you then that is the best way to do it then.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I don't Cheat, I eat. This is a lifestyle change, and yes, you do have to have will power and practice discipline, but I also believe in portion control and Moderation. I made lots of sacrifices to adjust to my new lifestyle. There are some things I don't miss at all, and somethings I do. But, there were also things that I didn't give up. I believe if you moderate your portions and how often you have that "Guilty Pleasure" you can still be very successful with your healthy lifestyle.

Portion control and Moderation is my mantra.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    "Cheating" implies that you aren't capable of making a choice. Last time I checked, I was an adult capable of choosing what I eat.

I eat good the majority of the time. If I want something that others would label "bad", I have it. I've lost over 160 pounds in just under 18 months. I think I have a pretty good grasp on my eating.

THIS.

I eat whatever I like as long as I have room. Maybe I don't lose as 'fast' as some people but I'm not here to win any race. I'm here to do something that I can see myself doing for the rest of my life. This does not include cutting out food that I might enjoy from time to time or killing myself in a gym - these are my personal goals which may or may not match someone else's but what I am doing has been working for me - YMMV.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter what you call it, it's the same thing.

I lost 30 lbs cheating, so whateves. Food isn't crack. That's a really poor example. I call it cheating because I like to keep it away from good everyday eating. I like the distinct difference. So, for me, it's cheating. Again, call it what you want. "yeah officer, I wasnt bribing him, I was giving him money to do something." same thing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So, these are actually your thoughs on regular (weekly?) cheat meals. Because you say you do have cheat meals, just not as often as this other person.

My thoughts on cheat meals are the same as my thoughts on most things diet related. If it keeps you from going off track, then you should do it.

Everyone is not going to need regular or scheduled cheat meals. But I imagine others really do need them to not feel deprived.

Personally, I do sometimes schedule a cheat meal, though I don't do it with any regularity. It's usually when I have a craving for something I have on my "rarely eat" list, or when I know an occasion is coming up and I won't want to worry about calories for that occasion (holidays, parties, reunions, etc.).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I dont believe it is cheating...that implies you are doing something wrong.

I don't usually use the word "cheating" either, if I call it anything I'd probably say "pigging out'. But it does feel deliciously wrong when I occasionally chow down on 2 full racks of ribs slathered with hot sauce.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Nothing being black and white in life- losing weight included, we have to remember what works for one may not for another. What motivates you may bore me, etc. Also- like most grey sliding scales these personal races to the finish line are just going to be harder and longer for some. Someone who's 124 lbs and 5 foot that wants to weigh 118 and gain muscle does not have the same story or road to travel as someone who is 5 7'' 300 lbs and has weight and food issues their whole life.

Its a different battle for each - some accept the challenge and maybe even enjoy it- some struggle each day and sometimes fail a lot before it all clicks.

Im not sure how I feel about cheat meals- I personally dont do them. I eat everything - avoiding large portions or frequent consumption of food that to me, is a waste of calories now that I know better. BUT- if thats how someone else wants to do it - 80/20 rule and all that- if its working why would I think they need to change that?

I am always most impressed with the person that got there eating right (most if not close to all of the time) and exercising (moderately or hard core). Determination comes in all packages- if your package includes cheat meals - work it out and keep up the great work!
  • pamcuster
    pamcuster Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise to eat MORE (like many here do) I exercise to be fit and healthy. "Cheat" days don't exist for me.

VERY GOOD !!!