MY THOUGHTS ON CHEAT MEALS

Options

Replies

• aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the concept of cheat meals/days. When you're recovering from any bad habits, you don't have days when you indulge in the bad habit.

For instance, I used to be a meth addict. While changing my habit to one of non-meth usage, I didn't schedule a day to indulge in meth use to motivate myself. Anyone can see how ridiculous that is.

I'm not sure why bad eating habits are much different: they just as dangerous, destructive, and come at a high financial and emotional cost to one's self and loved ones. IMO, the only difference is that you don't get arrested if you get caught in the mcdonald's drive-thru.

for more info about why we crave or become addicted to certain foods, check out work by Dr. Doug Lisle (book "the pleasure trap", for example) he also has videos on youtube.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the concept of cheat meals/days. When you're recovering from any bad habits, you don't have days when you indulge in the bad habit.

For instance, I used to be a meth addict. While changing my habit to one of non-meth usage, I didn't schedule a day to indulge in meth use to motivate myself. Anyone can see how ridiculous that is.

I'm not sure why bad eating habits are much different: they just as dangerous, destructive, and come at a high financial and emotional cost to one's self and loved ones. IMO, the only difference is that you don't get arrested if you get caught in the mcdonald's drive-thru.

Not everyone that overeats does so because they are addicted to food though. Certainly some are addicted, but often it's simply lack of exercise coupled with high calorie convenience foods.

And sometimes it's simply a lack of exercise and eating too much homemade food that would be completely healthy, if it weren't for the "too much food and too little movement" part. <<< this was me
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

for more info about why we crave or become addicted to certain foods, check out work by Dr. Doug Lisle (book "the pleasure trap", for example) he also has videos on youtube.

Again, it depends on perspective. I don't consider eating to be a bad habit. I don't even consider eating food that is high in calories, fat, sugar or salt a bad habit. For me, consistently eating more than I need, eating a completely nutritionally unbalanced diet, and using food to cope with negative emotions - those are all bad habits, and I no longer do those things. But then, I don't consider myself "addicted" to any type of food, so my perspective is different from yours.
  • TheSink
    TheSink Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Did you have the laptop hanging from the ceiling when you stepped up on that soapbox, or did you build yourself a podium like normal people???? GEESH.

EDIT: And to the one person who equated eating (and the ridiculous notion that one can be "addicted" to it as such) with methamphetimine usage...that may be the most assinine thing I've read on this site. And I've read some pretty assinine things on this site.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Again, it depends on perspective. I don't consider eating to be a bad habit. I don't even consider eating food that is high in calories, fat, sugar or salt a bad habit. For me, consistently eating more than I need, eating a completely nutritionally unbalanced diet, and using food to cope with negative emotions - those are all bad habits, and I no longer do those things. But then, I don't consider myself "addicted" to any type of food, so my perspective is different from yours.

I don't consider eating a bad habit. I consider eating things with no nutritional value a bad habit. I realize this is a different philosophy from the norm of "you're fat b/c you eat too much and exercise too little". People can become thin by eating low calories and exercising a lot, that's true. But it doesn't prevent disease, specifically, which is really more where my mindset is.
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you consider a 'cheat meal'....over your calories? or just not healthy? maybe out of the ordinary? Whatever works for each person...
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    So far, I never plan to have an off day, but they happen spontaneously. Like last night - we had lots of trick-or-treaters and I stayed on my feet for hours because husband came home late and tired after overtime and went right to bed. I ended up eating more than I'd planned just because I was trying to keep going for longer than I would have preferred. I almost hated to log it, but I only went over my plan by something less than 200 calories. Not so bad.

As much as I can, I plan to keep my focus. I really don't see the sense in purposely taking a day off my eating plan.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat because I don't consider myself to be "good" when I'm eating healthy/nutritious foods or "bad" when I'm eating less nutritious foods. I'm human and I need some things in my diet to function and I want some things in my diet because I prefer them. And sometimes, I'll make mistakes and eat things I shouldn't. Sometimes I won't. That's it. Food shouldn't be that hard.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I don't consider eating a bad habit. I consider eating things with no nutritional value a bad habit. I realize this is a different philosophy from the norm of "you're fat b/c you eat too much and exercise too little". People can become thin by eating low calories and exercising a lot, that's true. But it doesn't prevent disease, specifically, which is really more where my mindset is.

There is no guarantee that anything will prevent disease. Certain behaviors, such a good diet and regular exercise, simply lower the risk. And for someone that is obese, losing weight losers risk of disease, even if it's done by eating low calories and exercising a lot.
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend comes to visit me every 2 weeks at school for a whole weekend. When he is here, I still log, but there is no way in heck I stay within my calorie goals perfectly. On Friday mornings and afternoons, I eat light knowing that in the evening, he and I will eat our tradition Insomnia Cookies (DELICIOUS cookies DELIVERED to your house!) and usually a dinner that is not something I would consider eating when he isn't here. And then on Saturdays we eat a moderate breakfast, but then we eat concession stand food at the football games and go to Quaker Steak and Lube for dinner afterwards for burgers and wings, and then always dessert. On Sunday mornings, I eat a 1200 calories brunch at our usual Denny's, but don't eat for the rest of the day and burn 700 calories on the elliptical afterwards. Michael goes home and I return to my normal eating for two weeks.

It isn't cheating. It is living, It is allowing me to have some time with my guy where I am not constantly thinking
    Is this nutritious?". Someday when we move in together, it on't be like this, but for no when I see him, it is a mini-vacation. And I enjoy it.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The term "cheat" is interesting. If you cheat in a competition with a prize it is possible to get a prize you are not entitled to for which you may feel good or bad. On the other hand if you are trying to be fit and healthy, reduce your risk of chronic diseases and maybe improve self image or attractiveness, as I assume most people here are, who would you be cheating?

I think you have to be disciplined and realistic and know that you are in it for the longer term. Occasional digressions from your plan will not prevent you progressing as long as you get straight back to it and whatever plan you settle on needs to be something you can keep up for the long term. It can't be so horrid or arduous that you feel to have to take regular breaks from it.

Here's my approach:

1. If at all possible, log it, even if it is impulsive.

Logging is the tool than enables you to make changes so it would be silly not to use it. If you find you are eating calories at a rate that will bust your allowance before the end of the day you can either plan lighter meals for later in the day or work out how you can get some extra exercise in to make the day balance. You can also address imbalances so if, for example, you have breakfast that is almost exclusively carbohydrate you can cut back on that later in the day in favour of protein/vitamins etc.

There will be times when you can't log, for example the occasional meal out as a social function where the restaurant don't provide the necessary information but you have to use your common sense on this. If it gets to the point of eating in restaurants several times a week that is going to make things harder. Raiding the cupboard and not logging it is obviously counter productive.

2. Use the information you get from logging to make changes but don't try to change too fast.

Notice which foods have lots of calories and little in the way of other nutrients. If they're nice then eat them only in moderation and if they're not so nice then substitute something else. Also get to learn how much exercise you need to take to offset certain foods. If you know, for example, that to compensate for eating that chocolate bar that is calling out to you, you would have to walk the dog for an hour then you can make a considered choice.

Try to plan the day rather than each meal separately. As an example if you know lunch will be snatched between two appointments you could opt for fast food knowing that it will be high in fat and salt and moderately high in carbs too and then eat a light, low fat breakfast and salad in the evening or you have a heartier breakfast and pack a salad to eat on the go. Either way you will feel in control rather than a victim of the situation.

If you're disciplined about making compensating changes for indulgences some will seem worth it and some won't so over time you will tend to opt for fewer of them.
  • techsupreme
    techsupreme Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    In my opinion there is no such thing as a "cheat meal" I mean who are you cheating on? Yourself?..makes no sense to me. If you burn off more calories then you consume you will lose weight. Now its totally your choice if you want to be a veggie, fruit, no glute, no carb person. Totally up to u. But I dont plan on living or eating that way until I die. I want to eat the foods I like in moderation..stay within your calories and you will lose weight. It has nothing to do with cheat meals. Its a lifestyle change..

I hope everyone knows that every calorie is not the same. A 500 calorie burger from McDonalds doesn't have the same reaction that a 500 calorie salad does. You may need to re-evaluate your meal plan.
  • techsupreme
    Options
    It doesnt matter what you call it, it's the same thing.

I lost 30 lbs cheating, so whateves. Food isn't crack. That's a really poor example. I call it cheating because I like to keep it away from good everyday eating. I like the distinct difference. So, for me, it's cheating. Again, call it what you want. "yeah officer, I wasnt bribing him, I was giving him money to do something." same thing.

Heart disease is the leading cause of death in America. Food is directly involved in many of the risk factors for coronary heart disease. In fact food, may be more dangerous than crack. You can be healthy and die of a heart attack because of what you eat.
  • techsupreme
    Options

I salute you.
  • techsupreme
    Options
    Did you have the laptop hanging from the ceiling when you stepped up on that soapbox, or did you build yourself a podium like normal people???? GEESH.

EDIT: And to the one person who equated eating (and the ridiculous notion that one can be "addicted" to it as such) with methamphetimine usage...that may be the most assinine thing I've read on this site. And I've read some pretty assinine things on this site.

Soapbox was custom built. I balanced my laptop with my left hand and typed with my right.
  • techsupreme
    Options
    The term "cheat" is interesting. If you cheat in a competition with a prize it is possible to get a prize you are not entitled to for which you may feel good or bad. On the other hand if you are trying to be fit and healthy, reduce your risk of chronic diseases and maybe improve self image or attractiveness, as I assume most people here are, who would you be cheating?

I think you have to be disciplined and realistic and know that you are in it for the longer term. Occasional digressions from your plan will not prevent you progressing as long as you get straight back to it and whatever plan you settle on needs to be something you can keep up for the long term. It can't be so horrid or arduous that you feel to have to take regular breaks from it.

Here's my approach:

1. If at all possible, log it, even if it is impulsive.

Logging is the tool than enables you to make changes so it would be silly not to use it. If you find you are eating calories at a rate that will bust your allowance before the end of the day you can either plan lighter meals for later in the day or work out how you can get some extra exercise in to make the day balance. You can also address imbalances so if, for example, you have breakfast that is almost exclusively carbohydrate you can cut back on that later in the day in favour of protein/vitamins etc.

There will be times when you can't log, for example the occasional meal out as a social function where the restaurant don't provide the necessary information but you have to use your common sense on this. If it gets to the point of eating in restaurants several times a week that is going to make things harder. Raiding the cupboard and not logging it is obviously counter productive.

2. Use the information you get from logging to make changes but don't try to change too fast.

Notice which foods have lots of calories and little in the way of other nutrients. If they're nice then eat them only in moderation and if they're not so nice then substitute something else. Also get to learn how much exercise you need to take to offset certain foods. If you know, for example, that to compensate for eating that chocolate bar that is calling out to you, you would have to walk the dog for an hour then you can make a considered choice.

Try to plan the day rather than each meal separately. As an example if you know lunch will be snatched between two appointments you could opt for fast food knowing that it will be high in fat and salt and moderately high in carbs too and then eat a light, low fat breakfast and salad in the evening or you have a heartier breakfast and pack a salad to eat on the go. Either way you will feel in control rather than a victim of the situation.

If you're disciplined about making compensating changes for indulgences some will seem worth it and some won't so over time you will tend to opt for fewer of them.

Well said.
  • TheSink
    TheSink Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    In my opinion there is no such thing as a "cheat meal" I mean who are you cheating on? Yourself?..makes no sense to me. If you burn off more calories then you consume you will lose weight. Now its totally your choice if you want to be a veggie, fruit, no glute, no carb person. Totally up to u. But I dont plan on living or eating that way until I die. I want to eat the foods I like in moderation..stay within your calories and you will lose weight. It has nothing to do with cheat meals. Its a lifestyle change..

I hope everyone knows that every calorie is not the same. A 500 calorie burger from McDonalds doesn't have the same reaction that a 500 calorie salad does. You may need to re-evaluate your meal plan.

Really, Mr. Wizard, tell us more. Perhaps you could include statistics, or articles, or perhaps a chart so I know the difference between say McDonalds, Jimmy John's and Papa Murphy's calories so I can properly plan my day. Or better yet, it sounds like you've stumbled upon the holy grail here....why not sell this monumental information to MFP?! You could become a ZILLIONAIRE!!!!!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think your idea of "cheating" is very different than mine. I consider it cheating to lie on my log, such as omitting foods that I ate.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals don't make sense to me. If this is a lifestyle change, you should be able to eat whatever you want and still lose/maintain.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    It doesnt matter what you call it, it's the same thing.

I lost 30 lbs cheating, so whateves. Food isn't crack. That's a really poor example. I call it cheating because I like to keep it away from good everyday eating. I like the distinct difference. So, for me, it's cheating. Again, call it what you want. "yeah officer, I wasnt bribing him, I was giving him money to do something." same thing.

Heart disease is the leading cause of death in America. Food is directly involved in many of the risk factors for coronary heart disease. In fact food, may be more dangerous than crack. You can be healthy and die of a heart attack because of what you eat.

Do you mean, you can be at a healthy weight and die of a heart attack? Or, you can look healthy but actually be unhealthy due to diet?

Other than perhaps choking causing a traumatic heart attack, how would what a healthy person eats cause a heart attack.