Is this reasonable or am I crazy?

Options

Replies

• kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It's possible. Some people take off weight quickly right away. In my 20s, I could lose 10 pounds in two weeks just by cutting out fast food and riding my bicycle every day.

Now that I'm in my 50s, it has taken 2 months to lose 11 pounds (4 lost before I joined MFP). I've been trying just about as hard as I can try, considering how long I've had bad habits.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    What I see here is " I've been overweight most of my life, now i'm in a big rush to lose weight."

Seriously what's the hurry, learn how to eat right and exercise for the rest of your life. Instead of setting unrealistic goals, that even if you did achieve you wouldn't be able to sustain it and the weight will come right back on.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm a little heavier then you but that is my goal as well...I'm 235 and 5'10".
    I'm not riding completely on that though, it's taken me three months to lose 24 pounds. It's good to have a goal but you also have to do it in a healthy way. I eat at least 1500-1700 plus half of my workout calories a day.

So yes, I think it's a reasonable goal... as long as you realize your body might not be able to drop that much weight that quickly. Be happy about whatever you can accomplish. :)
  • tlp148
    tlp148 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There is another way to look at this.
    What is your motivation for 20 pounds. Is it to be down 20 pounds by New Years Eve as a goal number or is it to fit in that sexy outfit and you think 20 pounds will do it? For me, I have gradually lost 30 pounds over 10 months, however when I started doing a circuit training workout like Jillian Michaels 30Day Shred I noticed my biggest body changes. I have dropped sizes not just pounds. My body shape is totally changing in a good way. I think that 20 pounds can be reached in a healthy way, however even 10 pounds can make a huge difference if you are diligent with a healthy diet and exercise. The holidays can be hard. Keep your Focus and Positive Thoughts!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You most certainly can lose 20 lbs by the 1st! Eat right and exercise and you will have it done! I'll be here to support you!

She meant starve yourself and over exercise

^^This is wrong. 20 pounds is absolutely possible by January WITHOUT starving yourself. I averaged about 10 pounds lost a month and I was eating well (not starving myself) and exercising. I was going to the gym 3-5 times a week, and would alternate days of Cardio and Strength Training. Everyone's body is different, but if you eat clean and exercise, it should be very possible for you!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    2.5 lbs a week for two months is possible, but very difficult, especially during the holiday season.

And not necessarily safe without professional supervision.
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hey yall! I weigh 219 lbs right now and would like to lose 20 lbs by January 1st. Is this possible? Granted, my eating hasnt always been perfect, and Im doing a combo of circuit training and cardio. I need help! I really dont want to take any sort of supplement. I know I will have be more mindful of my fat intake. Any other insite? Thanks.

Well, to offer some perspective, I'm just a few pounds more than you right now, and my goal is to lose 13 lbs by Jan 1... and I'm scared I won't make that. I think it just depends on your body, your diet, and so on. I workout quite a bit (usually 2 hours a day), eat right and still only lose about 1 lb a week on average... but, there are others who seem to be able to do it. I think it just depends on you. Why not set it as a goal, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Anything you lose is a victory! :O)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hey yall! I weigh 219 lbs right now and would like to lose 20 lbs by January 1st. Is this possible? Granted, my eating hasnt always been perfect, and Im doing a combo of circuit training and cardio. I need help! I really dont want to take any sort of supplement. I know I will have be more mindful of my fat intake. Any other insite? Thanks.

Twenty pounds in two months is little much. It would be very difficult and planning such a tight goal might end up leaving you frustrated. If it were me, I'd aim for 15 pounds by Jan 1 or maybe all 20 pounds by Feb 1.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I hope you can afford cocaine... :D

In all seriousness, it depends on how dedicated you are. As others have said, it's POSSIBLE. Being PROBABLE is another story. It can be done, but don't kill yourself if it doesn't happen (or do... that is your choice really)

Yep, with a budget for enough coke or perhaps the Jenny Crank diet, you can do it in about 5 weeks probably! :laugh:

Oh, that's right! The OP doesn't want to take supplements. :smokin:
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    20 pounds is absolutely possible by January WITHOUT starving yourself. I averaged about 10 pounds lost a month and I was eating well (not starving myself) and exercising. I was going to the gym 3-5 times a week, and would alternate days of Cardio and Strength Training. Everyone's body is different, but if you eat clean and exercise, it should be very possible for you!

If you don't mind me asking, what was your calorie intake like to lose that much a month? Was MFP's calorie guideline for losing 2 lbs a week right on the money for you? Did you eat back your exercise calories? Your weight loss success is phenomenal!
  • anarjackson
    anarjackson Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Since August 21st I've lost 16.5 pounds. That's with eating right and working out 3-5 times a week. I have maybe "cheated" 2-3 times during this period. And that's by not exceeding 1800 calories. With the Holiday season coming up you will have to buckle down on your will power. You can totally do it without "starving" yourself like some person said on here. smh! Make sure to log everything you eat. I mean EVERYTHING. What helps me is that I keep my diary public so that all my friends can view what I eat and hold me accountable. Good luck doll! :)
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I exercise like crazy and stay under my calories but I have a hard time losing weight. Just because I have PCOS which makes it hard to process carbs. Can it be done yes for some people but really depends your body. Don't go crazy, I would try for a slow but steady on losing weight. I would hate for you to get discouraged and give up.
  • Candysland2013
    Options
    Yes u can ... I lost 20 pounds in about 5 weeks .. Just ate right and walked
  • Sujit8383
    Sujit8383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I lost 17kg (37.5 lbs) in exact 17 weeks..............so its easy coz i din't cut my cals...........i eat over my bmr ie 2000 KCals...:smile:

Well u can do it but exercise bit vigorous and expend 1000 KCals per day in gym.........
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It might be hard, but the heavier you are, the easier it is to lose weight (at least a lot of the time). You might find that by cutting back and exercising, the pounds do drop off rather quickly at first. Just don't eat too low, and don't overexercise.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    That's 10lbs a month. about 2-21/2lbs a week. Being that you might have a bit more weight to lose than that it should be very doable. When I had 50lbs to lose, the last 15lbs or so were the hardest. I was steady losing about 2lbs a week before that.
  • KeltaRose
    Options
    I think another important point to make would be that it is easier to lose weight coming from a high calorie "fast food diet" to a low calorie healthy diet than it is if you have been on a low calorie intake for a while.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds in the last 4 weeks, and I eat healthy food all day long, 2000 calories, and haven't started working out yet besides walking 30 minutes a day. Granted, I started at 100 pounds more than you.

I do think it's possible if you make healthy choices and stick with it though.
  • ashleynicoled09
    ashleynicoled09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    im 5'5??
  • ashleynicoled09
    ashleynicoled09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! This helps a lot.