What's your major?

Options

Replies

• RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have a Bachelors in Economics and Statistics. A Masters in Economics and another in Financial Analysis. I am prepping for the CFA at the moment.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    Bachelors in Education, Elementary Education... certificated in Special Education, extensive background in performing arts
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Undergrad: Psychology, History, Russian Studies, added in that order while dropping pre med (technically not a major at my university, but I got up to the last year) and philosophy along the way. (What can I say, I'm an intellectual hedonist. ;) ).

That led to a double Masters in Russian, Central and Eastern European Studies and European Studies.

Not sure what that leads to job-wise so I may have made a mistake along the way. On the other hand, it was so interesting, and you have no idea how much I've won at pub trivia with my combined set of knowledge, so there's that. Seriously, study what you're interested in. Psychology is a good start. Perhaps have some eye to what you can do something with (something tech or engineering based will go a long, long way to getting you post-study opportunities. If I were going to do it again, I would probably study at least something tech oriented in addition to what I did, like programming or something.)

Don't focus solely on fine arts (study them if you want, but even Trey Parker and Matt Stone studied Japanese and Mathematics respectively...), study at least one language to a high level (Russian and Arabic being the most practical), and do something techish. The rest of it? Do what's interesting to you. I wouldn't trade my education for the world but I'm sooooooo glad I learned some languages, and I should have studied programming of some sort.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I majored in History and minored in Writing. College was awesome, I loved both subjects. Super interesting. I don't want to be a teacher. Useless degree I currently still pay $200/mo for.

About to start a Masters in Leadership ... not because I have any interest, but because my stupid company will foot the entire bill.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    B.Commerce Major in Accounting
    Accounting Designation

Now debating between CFP & MBA.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    B. Commerce in Marketing and International Business
    Hons in Marketing
    Contemplating masters one day
  • mochomito
    mochomito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    B.A.
    Television
    Concentration in Post Production
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    undergrad in sociology and working on 2nd undergrad in accounting. plan to go to grad school for Masters Public Administration. Maybe by the time I'm 50, I'll decide I'm sick of school...
  • eoleary720
    eoleary720 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Civil & Environmental Engineering
  • Sammijo24
    Sammijo24 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'll be majoring in Wildlife Sciences and Fisheries Science with a concentration in Wildlife
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    English. I also have all the certifications to teach in Florida. I chose to graduate with an English degree. I make more money as a secretary than I would as a high school English teacher. Sad.

English degrees are pretty hard to get a job with after school.

I plan to start law school this year. English degrees happen to be a great foundation for that. :wink:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Psychology!
  • designkid78
    Options
    Currently: BS in Clinical Laboratory Science, I'll graduate in June of this year.

I also have a BA in Graphic Design (2002) and an AA in Clinical Lab Science (2009).
  • cgillie
    cgillie Posts: 3
    Options
    Bachelors of Commerce - Specializing in Services Manangement
  • TamekaJ1
    TamekaJ1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My major was sociology the study of human behavior. I picked the degree because it was very diverse and I have had a lot of great jobs as a result of it.
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My Bachelor's degree is in Psychology. I have two minors: Social Justice and Women's and Gender Studies. It probably sounds like fluff, but I'm almost finished with my Master's degree in Social Work (next month!!!) and I feel the major and two minors together really helped prepare me for it.
  • perezke91
    perezke91 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Major: Psychology
    Minor: Substance Abuse Counseling

Future Masters Degree in School Counseling!
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    My BS is political science with a concentration in pre-law and a minor in women's studies.
    My MA is public policy.
  • Samysalsa
    Samysalsa Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm working on my B.S. in Marketing but thinking about looking in to a minor in communications too
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Industrial Design