Diet Pill

Options
I know many do not support diet pills, but I really need some help. I will do well for a few days and stress will happen and I'm eating everything in sight. Just looking for something to help. Any ideas?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I know many do not support diet pills, but I really need some help. I will do well for a few days and stress will happen and I'm eating everything in sight. Just looking for something to help. Any ideas?

Well diet pills aren't going to help with a lack of self control. Even the compounds proven to work only will add a slight benefit, so you still need your diet in check
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    Alli is the only thing I know that works well, but has some nasty side effects. Doesn't have anything in it that will make you jittery or control your appitite, but it removes the fat in what you eat so it doesn't get absorbed.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

Well diet pills aren't going to help with a lack of self control. Even the compounds proven to work only will add a slight benefit, so you still need your diet in check

What he said. Your diary isn't open so I don't know how much of a deficit you are trying to keep. Try setting your diary for only 1/2 pound loss per week if it isn't already, eating too little can compound your stress. And rather than relying on aa pill which will only be a crutch, finding new ways to handle your stress will be so much better for you in the long run, both physically and psychologically. Counseling, journaling, spending more time with friends and family and opening up about your worries are better places to start.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Prescription Phentermine it works well for some and not for others. some it makes skin crawl and climb the walls. Me, I can nap on it, my daughter she can come home from her nursing job and not be so tired. But you can only take it for 3 months and then you have to stop and take a break before you go back on it (months) and you MUST use that time to learn new eating habits, all about nutrients, and portion size, and you MUST learn to exercise because you want to reqularly. If you don't you will gain back the weight after you stop the pills. Don't take the max dose (37.5) the first thing take the lower dose and see how it affects you after a week. If it works great, but if you need more talk to your doctor. Some people take the max dose first off and wonder why thier heart is racing. Basically It is a way to get you started. And you have 3 months to learn to do it the right way.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Will power, commitment, persistence, dedication and motivation does not come in pill form. You have to want it deep down inside or else you will not succeed.

Remove all junk food from the house and take a walk next time you feel like bingeing.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

What he said. Your diary isn't open so I don't know how much of a deficit you are trying to keep. Try setting your diary for only 1/2 pound loss per week if it isn't already, eating too little can compound your stress. And rather than relying on aa pill which will only be a crutch, finding new ways to handle your stress will be so much better for you in the long run, both physically and psychologically. Counseling, journaling, spending more time with friends and family and opening up about your worries are better places to start.

^^^This is also excellent advise! Set your calorie intake for something sustainable and sensible. @1500 - 1600, eat healthy as possible, exercise and treat yourself as long as it fits in your calorie goal.
  • Lilybeans4
    Options
    I have been going through a very stressful time in my life and I have tried a few different diet pills. I haven't lost a pound and I actually started gaining weight when I stopped taking them! Right now I am focusing on eating more fresh fruits and vegetables and walking. I am too stressed at this point to stick with an actual diet, but eating more fruits & veggies has helped me from eating crap. And taking a walk helps me regain my focus.
    For me stress makes me feel out of control and the diet pills only made it worse. Good luck.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If it's truly for a motivational jump start, then I would visit your doctor. But *know* that once you stop taking them, your appetite will come back and you'll be ravenous for a few days. If you know this, and plan for it, then a jump start could help with motivation. But the other posters are correct that you still have to find the will power to keep going. Also, you have to understand nutrition in order to make this a healthy lifestyle in the long run.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I sure wish there was a magic pill!
  • PaulW2MD
    PaulW2MD Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you don't maintain the calorie intake that the appetite suppressant gives you when you get off it the weight will come back. I have never believed in the Jump Start theory. Losing weight sucks but you have to face those emotional/stress demons head on and learn to push through them or ultimately nothing will work. Good Luck!
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    You've got to deal with it at the source, your stress. Putting a band-aid on it won't help.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there are no good appetite suppressants currently on the market.

I wish there were. Willpower is what has killed my diet every time.

The last good pill that worked for me was Redux. I lost 60 pounds on that without even trying. Totally removed the desire to eat. But it caused heart valve problems and was pulled from the market.

I'm hopeful that sometime in the next 20 years medical science will crack this problem.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You just need to find the correct calories for YOU to be healthy and sustainable and still lose weight. It might require some experimentation and tremendous patience. You can always notch up and down by 100 until you find what is sustainable and still allows you to lose weight.

If you have emotional eating issues than you are not going to be able to handle such a deep deficit and if you eat to low it will backfire. A better strategy is to eat at a shallower deficit, and sometimes give yourself a break from the deficit and eat at maintenance. This is not going backwards, but eating to low and then binging because you can't sustain it is going backwards. It's better to stay forwards even if it is slower. The tortoise wins this race in the end.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks - and good luck to you as well
  • CORTNEY5
    CORTNEY5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was on Topomax for migraines a few years back, and that's how I lost a majority of weight the first time. It's an anti-convulsant used primarily for people with Epilepsy. But now they are beginning to market it as a diet pill because of the weight loss people are having while on it. This is how it's being marketed now: Qsymia (formerly Qnexa): Combination diet pill with Topamax (topiramate) and phentermine. I know from personal experience that Topomax worked for me, but I also have a migraine condition and it was not prescribed for weight loss, it was just a side effect. So talk to your doctor, eat right, and exercise. I think diet pills should be a last resort if you absolutely cannot control your urges, and even then, the risks may outweigh the benefits.
  • catspurr25
    catspurr25 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Has it worked for you?
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For long term success you have to learn how to control your own behavior. Some of those pills MAY help in a way, temporarily, but they also may hurt in a way with bad side effects. Personally, I think you would be better served if you were to find a way to deal with your stress other than eating. Yoga? Mediation? Cycling? Running? Another option is you can promise yourself you'll drink two glasses of water before putting anything in your mouth ....as in just guzzle them down and then think about if you still want to eat or not. Exercise instead ended up working for me.....to my surprise. How about a nice bubbly bath and some relaxing music? Even hypnosis and acupuncture offer better long term results for you than pills do. Find some constructive way to deal with stress. Eating because of it is self destructive....and there are no pills that cure that. You have to find it somewhere within you.
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options

exercise is a great stress reducer :)
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hit the gym, go for a walk or do some at home exercises when the cravings hit! You might not want to do it but you'll never regret it!
  • GreyV
    GreyV Posts: 60
    Options

Will power, commitment, persistence, dedication and motivation does not come in pill form. You have to want it deep down inside or else you will not succeed.

Remove all junk food from the house and take a walk next time you feel like bingeing.

^^^^^This.