Diet Pill

Options

Replies

• lunatikchik
    lunatikchik Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    when i stress i hit the gym twice as hard, and sometimes twice as much, by the time i get done on the elliptical trainer (an hour or so) or spin class, i'n too tired to be stressed :)

and trust me the last 11 months, i've been at the gym more than i have been anywhere else!
  • MrsNina1972
    MrsNina1972 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I would't recommend any pills, just learn how to deal or eliminate stress and have that will power, I deal with stress all the time and man it's a *****, but you gotta keep pushin.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I'm hopeful that sometime in the next 20 years medical science will crack this problem.

...Er, the problem of everyone being overweight? I'm pretty sure there's lots of science why that is... hell, there's lots of science on willpower, too.
  • sheilahoff5
    Options
    Fight harder, pills are not the answer - ever.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there are no good appetite suppressants currently on the market.

I wish there were. Willpower is what has killed my diet every time.

The last good pill that worked for me was Redux. I lost 60 pounds on that without even trying. Totally removed the desire to eat. But it caused heart valve problems and was pulled from the market.

I'm hopeful that sometime in the next 20 years medical science will crack this problem.

None that are over-the-counter, but there are prescriptions that work very well. All the good OTC pills are long gone. You'd have to buy from some shady Mexican pharmacy unless you have health insurance and a good doctor.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

...Er, the problem of everyone being overweight? I'm pretty sure there's lots of science why that is... hell, there's lots of science on willpower, too.

:laugh:

science-magic-without-lies.jpg

science_magic-261x300.jpg

OR

:laugh: :laugh:
    7155489065_5da44329ac_z.jpg
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Diet pills = Speed
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

I'm talking about finding a solution, not identifying the problem.
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents...find a new habit. If you're stressed (or whatever the trigger is) create a new response. Train your body over time to 'crave' something new. Try walking around your office building, or chewing on a pencil, or chewing gum, or doing push-ups....sounds rediculous but it helped when I quit smoking. Just find a practical alternative like going to visit someone or changing your environment.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Some of those pills MAY help in a way, temporarily, but they also may hurt in a way with bad side effects.

Many doctors are now viewing obesity as a chronic health problem that may require permanent medication to control. Just as you would not expect someone with diabetes to magically recover if they stop taking their diabetes medication, it may be that obesity is a similar health problem.

This is not to say that weight cannot be controlled without medication, just that it may be that very few people are able to do so, long-term. It is a simple fact that obesity rates are continuing to climb and most people who try to lose weight fail. It's a willpower issue - how long can you tolerate feeling hungry and/or deprived?

I've read and heard some articles recently that our body makeup may be defined even during childhood or young adulthood. If this is true, then our body fat may be controlled largely by a diet that we have no control over while we live at home. If mom and dad (if you are lucky) are pressed for time and money, processed foods are becoming a larger and larger part of children's diets. They may be damaged irreversibly by this before they have any ability to control what they eat.

I suspect you'll see an effective obesity treatment before you see an effective cancer treatment.
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Let go of the idea of a quick fix (because honestly, they don't fix much and not for long) and instead think about getting a self help book on self compassion, or boundaries, or organization and get a notebook.

Write when you crave and read about loving yourself, learning to say no to others (reduces stress by a thousand!!), and learning to organize your day and life in way to reach your goals.

Much better to spend on that than pills! :)
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I suspect you'll see an effective obesity treatment before you see an effective cancer treatment.
    How awesome would that be? Especially considering how much obesity contributes to cancer!
  • CressidaJL
    CressidaJL Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you're eating for comfort (stress, etc), it won't matter *how* much your appetite is suppressed.

Maybe look at the reason why you struggle on the stressy days, and why your instinct is to reach for food. Perhaps substitute the crutch with something else, something healthy? That way when you're stressed, you can do something positive - have a workout, have a bath, something to make you feel good.

Good luck.

PS: Diet pills are pointless & expensive. x
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If you really want to reach your goals, you'll take the steps necessary to get there. None of those steps involve diet pills.
  • aphid
    aphid Posts: 47
    Options
    i've tried pills with kelp in them and adios pills. the kelp ones didn't do anything and i think the adios ones might have helped a bit. i have seen patches which you can put on your arm which are supposed to reduce your appetite. i don't know how useful they are, but sounds like they would be better for you than a pill to help you lose weight if it's the fact that you'll be eating more which worries you.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You just need to find the correct calories for YOU to be healthy and sustainable and still lose weight. It might require some experimentation and tremendous patience. You can always notch up and down by 100 until you find what is sustainable and still allows you to lose weight.

If you have emotional eating issues than you are not going to be able to handle such a deep deficit and if you eat to low it will backfire. A better strategy is to eat at a shallower deficit, and sometimes give yourself a break from the deficit and eat at maintenance. This is not going backwards, but eating to low and then binging because you can't sustain it is going backwards. It's better to stay forwards even if it is slower. The tortoise wins this race in the end.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.
    Smart lady :flowerforyou:
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I take relacore it helps improve mood and decrease belly fat
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I'm talking about finding a solution, not identifying the problem.

... The solution to what? Being overweight?
  • rickerred12
    Options
    the only thing that may work and I say may is caffeine. But I don't recommend it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/HQ00369

Appetite suppression. Caffeine may reduce your desire to eat for a brief time, but there's not enough evidence to show that long-term consumption aids weight loss.

Calorie burning. Caffeine may stimulate thermogenesis — one way your body generates heat and energy from digesting food. But this probably isn't enough to produce significant weight loss.

Water loss. In some people, caffeine can act as a diuretic, which means it increases the amount of urine you excrete. This increase in urine output, mostly water loss, may temporarily decrease your body weight, but it doesn't result in the loss of body fat.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    .. The solution to what? Being overweight?

No....nuclear fusion.

Of course being overweight.