Crossfit

Options

Replies

• DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Define crossfit
    Squats, power cleans, deadlifts, box jumps, jump rope, push ups, pull ups, leg lifts, and a lot more.
    All cardio based

That just sounds like exercise, in that case yes I exercise

Right, but add in a stopwatch to your routine and now you're doing cross-fit. At least that's how I see it.

Don't forget to add the experienced and knowledgeable coach.
  • rachyedwards
    Options
    Define crossfit
    Squats, power cleans, deadlifts, box jumps, jump rope, push ups, pull ups, leg lifts, and a lot more.
    All cardio based

Right, but add in a stopwatch to your routine and now you're doing cross-fit. At least that's how I see it.

Thanks for helping everyone.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Define crossfit
    All cardio based

You mean the one that did a 2 day seminar?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Why not? Crossfit boxes typically forget to add a knowledgable coach.......
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

full of win
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options

full of win

No - hence why I said "experienced and knowledgeable". Anyone signing up for crossfit (or for a trainer in general) should always do a little research the background of said coach or trainer anyways.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    SHOULD being the key word.

If a person is blind when it comes to fitness, anyone who says they know slightly more is a genius to them.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    In the land of the fitness noobs, the broscientist is king
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it may be anecdotal but the injury rate does seem higher with crossfit. everyone who exercises gets a tweak here or there but it seems like those who crossfit suffer actual injuries more often. is it due to the high repetitions?
    high reps and the fact that for most of the workouts you are working out for time

. this is my first week of "real" crossfit (ie not the on ramp classes) and and i can definitely see how people get injured in the weight exercises.

yeah you're using lower weights (i'm probably only lifting like 40% of my max weight) HOWEVER you're doing the reps quickly. since most of those type movements (ok all) require your core to be stabilized, i can't quite get how somehow can be breathing fast after a 400m sprint and still able to keep their core tight to do overhead squats afterwards?

oh and i thought our on ramp coaches were pretty good considering they only had 6 classes to teach 40+ movements. granted most of the people in my class were total newbs to lifting so there was a lot of sloppy form for deadlifts, squats, jerks and of course snatches. form was corrected as much as possible but we were only practicing moves 10-15 times before doing it in a timed workout. we had 2 injuries in the on ramp class (1 knee and 1 shoulder)
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    people need to stop dissing crossfit. im guessing 99% of those that diss it haven't tried it...

it's an awesome way to exercise.

but really, im so sick of people dissing it because it's "not safe"

you could easily drop a dumbbell on your foot at the gym and break your foot... or better yet, you could get hit by a car ON THE WAY to the gym. life is dangerous.

give it a rest. crossfit rules.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I agree Stephanie. My son does CrossFit and it has been absolutely great for him. He has never really stuck with any other kind of exercise program. I think it is the camaraderie that exists in the CrossFit gyms.
    I think the best exercise program is the one you will do.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...because these threads never disappoint.

ETA: I use the "higher injuries" excuse for not doing it...but even more than that is probably the cost. It fails my "I've owned cars that cost less than that" test. Perhaps when I feel like I need a community of like-minded individuals to further my progress towards my goals, I'll reconsider it. (In all seriousness, I've been a little lax in the exercise department lately, so maybe it's time to give it another look.)
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love it and I'm gonna keep at it!! ;)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Of all the cults crossfit is my favorite
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    In...

...because these threads never disappoint.

Yep, me too!!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    "Is this water paleo?"
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    "Is this water paleo?"

Did you kill it yourself or buy it at the store?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    "Is this water paleo?"

Behave!

No, it's been filtered and distilled and some kind of oxygen has been added to enhance it.

I crossfit.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    "Is this water paleo?"

Behave!

No, it's been filtered and distilled and some kind of oxygen has been added to enhance it.

I crossfit.

I dunno. Sounds overly processed to me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Of all the cults crossfit is my favorite
    come play with us drmerc...

forever

and ever...

and ever...

and ever.....