Do weight loss pills and drinks actually work?

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    I forget the name of the drug, but my professor mentioned it in my molecular biology class. It's a drug that inhibits the certain pathway that converts excess glucose into fat if you will, and will continually burn only fat in the body as energy. Thing is, since the drug itself is extremely dangerous, and if the dosage is overestimated, well...miscalculated dosage can lead to death because it doesn't particularly know when to stop. Once it burns off all the fat your body has to offer, it'll start breaking down your muscle, then you die x.X.
    WHERE CAN I GET IT??!?!?!

That would be creatine.
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Sounds like DNP or Dynitrophenol. Its can only be used by males. It can cause blindness if used by woman.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Sounds like DNP or Dynitrophenol. Its can only be used by males. It can cause blindness if used by woman.

How ironic :ohwell:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I forget the name of the drug, but my professor mentioned it in my molecular biology class. It's a drug that inhibits the certain pathway that converts excess glucose into fat if you will, and will continually burn only fat in the body as energy. Thing is, since the drug itself is extremely dangerous, and if the dosage is overestimated, well...miscalculated dosage can lead to death because it doesn't particularly know when to stop. Once it burns off all the fat your body has to offer, it'll start breaking down your muscle, then you die x.X.

That would be creatine.
    That is NOT creatine. Creatine is an amino acid, not a drug. Considering the human body produces creatine 24/7, everyone would be dead if it just burned fat all day...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Think of the logic.

If there WERE a pill that worked, then no-one would be overweight, and the diet industry (and trust me it's a BIG business) would collapse. I can't see that happening.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Yes they do work. Some increase metabolism, some crush appetite. Over a 10-12 week period they could help you lose a few extra pounds of body fat.

Most people are a bit slow and expect them to be magic and burn fat. Which would require oxidative phosphorylation by carrying protons across the mitochondrial membrane, leading to a rapid consumption of energy without generation of ATP... basically, it ain't gonna happen.

So yes, but not in the way you'd probably want in terms of speed of fat loss.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member

That would be creatine.

NO NO NO NO NO
    Don't say things you have no clue about.
    That would NOT be creatine....
    :angry: :explode: :grumble: :noway:
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    So I was really taken seriously for that question -_-
    lolololol. You never know when someone is serious on this site! People say the darndest things.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    I took Hydroxycut and felt like I was on crack. I had difficult time sleeping because I was so wound up. I did not have any appetite on them though. I did cut it down to 1 1/2 pills total daily unstead of 6. My appetite came back enough but I still felt wound up. To me it was like drinking a ton of energy drinks. I stopped taking them and just went back to counting calories. I feel way better just losing weight with calorie counting.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    I think iv tried them all they do work for a quick fx but then piles back on you the 2nd you stat eating
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member

That would be creatine.

not. it would not be creatine. this place and the wrong information that is often found here can be down right scary.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    coffee is all you need if you want a diet pill supplement
  • FightingGenetics
    FightingGenetics Posts: 108 Member
    I've had success with them but... I eat clean every day and always hit my deficit. (Look at my DIARY) I never eat junk and I never skip a workout. So are pills the reason I've lost 30lbs NO. They are not a quick fix. They just give you that extra 5%. Maybe without them I would have only lost 27lbs. But for me the give me a little extra energy and help my appetite. Would they have worked if they were the only thing I was doing NO!!!!!!!!

But for me the weight loss equation is 75% Nutrition, 20% Exercise and 5% Supplementation.
  • I use a milk shake made of carnation breakfast drink and a piece of fruit and lots of ice blend until it creamy and smooth like a milk shake;
    Then I also use the complete ww diet breakfast 1c milk 1raw egg 1fruit 2pks sweetner ice blender until smooth can add a slice of toast and this is a complete weight watchers breakfast.
    Also use milk I ounce of protien power and fruit sweetner to taste ice blend.

I guess by now you can see I like things that are cold and sweet when I get up in the morning but I also have had gastric by pass and while I was on liquids these are also the shakes that were recommended to me. They really do work but taste to good to be low in calories. a couple of them can be changed into a hot cocoa drink if you use cocoa or chocolate flavored bases. Good Luck.
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    I've tried diet pills/drinks and they don't work.

You know how they say if it's too good to be true, then it probably is? It is too good to be true. If they worked, non of us would be counting calories.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Your asking the wrong question. The question shouldn't be "do they work?" the question should be "are they safe?" and possibly "do I need them?"

The answer to both is usually no or a very qualified "sometimes"
  • If you are in a caloric deficit, yes.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Hi. I don't believe in pills or anything artificial that is why I tried the Almased shake. It's all natural made with soy, honey and yogurt. No artificial sweeteners for me! I'm on my third day and have lost 5.5 lbs. This is after being on a plateau for over 6 months even though I was eating properly and exercising. I only plan to use it for 2 weeks which cost over $100. I think it's too expensive and would rather eat real food instead of two shakes to replace my meals for breakfast and dinner.

It tastes okay if you blend it with almond milk and add a little flavoring like vanilla or cinnamon.

P.S. So far it hasn't made me vomit
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    I think you already know the answer.

I think the thread could have stopped after this well said answer...

Yes please

Seriously, if there were a pill, or drink that made people lose weight, then pretty much everyone would be thin. With the exception of a very few people, losing weight takes hard work and discipline. There's no way around it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I have had a bad experience with weight loss supplements.
    I had a weight loss drink and within minutes after I had finished it I was throwing up.
    Now was this due to me drinking it quickly?? because it really tasted like crap!!
    has this happened to anyone else?
    And does anyone have any recommendations for pills or drinks that do work for weight loss, I am from Canada so I cant get anything that doesnt exist here :)

If you got it by simply walking into a store and buying it, then no, it won't do anything beneficial for you. In fact some of them are just caffeine which can cause nausea and cramping at high doses. If a doctor prescribed it for you, then yes, it probably will suppress your appetite and give you energy; however, once you quit taking it, you become ravenous.

Also, taking a pill or drinking a drink won't help you build healthy habits, which is what will *keep* the weight off once you lose it.