Lifting- How many calories burned?

Is there any surefire way to count the calories that you burn while lifting?

Every day, I try to do 30 minutes of cardio and then I move onto the weights, working a different muscle group each day. I started doing this about two months ago but I never know how to track the exercises on myfitnesspal.

Anyone else have any advice or are you wondering the same thing?

Please and thank you!

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Not really, its not many
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    I'd get a heart rate monitor if you want to be super accurate. I'm considering getting one myself.

Edited to add: If my heart rate is up for a substantial length of time I log it under Cardio/Strength Training. I usually round the calories burned down, though, because I never want to eat back too many exercise calories. It's worked for me so far, which is why I haven't bothered with a HRM yet.
  • Lifting weights does not burn many calories at all because it is not cardio. HOWEVER, the more muscle mass your body has, the more calories you will burn ALL THE TIME - at rest, sleeping, doing your daily activities, and doing your cardio workout. It's worth it for toning and to increase bone density but it will not burn enough calories alone to even bother trying to log. If you want to log it just to be proud of yourself for it (which is what I do!), go ahead! It helps!
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    I don't know how intense everyone's weight lifting sessions are, or how heavy they're lifting...but the general consensus seems to be that you don't burn many calories weight lifting. In my personal experience, my heart rate gets as high if not higher during a lifting session than a cardio session...and I typically have a sopping wet shirt to prove it. I don't use an HRM or even log weight lifting in MFP but I feel like lifting can potentially burn a lot more calories than people think, depending on the intensity of the lifting session.
  • drmerc
    I don't know how intense everyone's weight lifting sessions are, or how heavy they're lifting...but the general consensus seems to be that you don't burn many calories weight lifting. In my personal experience, my heart rate gets as high if not higher during a lifting session than a cardio session...and I typically have a sopping wet shirt to prove it. I don't use an HRM or even log weight lifting in MFP but I feel like lifting can potentially burn a lot more calories than people think, depending on the intensity of the lifting session.

Heart rate and sweat are not a indication of number of calories burned
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Wear an HRM with Calories Burned tracker for your complete workout (and log as ONE workout). Name it...Moving the Gym forcefully over the trolls.

EDIT: Make sure that you are maintaining a High HR...which mean, little rest between sets and routine changes.
  • drmerc
    Wear an HRM for your complete workout. Name it...Moving the Gym forcefully over the trolls.

HRMs are modeled after a constant cardio style activity and are not accurate to weight lifting
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    Wear an HRM for your complete workout. Name it...Moving the Gym forcefully over the trolls.

HRMs are modeled after a constant cardio style activity and are not accurate to weight lifting

See my EDIT
  • drmerc

See my EDIT

Still incorrect
  • timothyrcullen
    timothyrcullen Posts: 5 Member
    I think the effect is not WHILE you're lifting, but rather the increase in the number of calories burned throughout the day.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Don't worry about calories when lifting weights. It's for toning

Cardio is where you burn calories
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    If you type "strength training" into the cardiovascular search box on MFP you can enter your time there. I do tend to be on the conservative side with this and enter one minute of 'strength training' for each set that I complete becuase someone can say they they lifted for an hour and may have only done five sets vs. someone that lifts for an hour and does 30 sets.

It may not be the most accurate, but it gives you something to work with. I've been using it for a while and it seems to be somewhat accurate or you can just not log it and give yourself some extra calories to work with.
  • I log my time under circuit training. It will depend on how hard you lift. I get a great work out lifting. I do not rest between sets and I do super sets and am out of breathe and sweating badly when I finish my 25-30 minutes of lifting. It is strenous and a cardio burn. But I work HARD at it. I do not waste any time. If you are lifting and resting and taking your time, you probably are not burning many calories, but building muscle and strengthening bone density is very important to overall health.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Don't worry about calories when lifting weights. It's for toning

100%. This is why Andy Bolton is a vascular, ripped god.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    I think the effect is not WHILE you're lifting, but rather the increase in the number of calories burned throughout the day.

^^^This!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts

See my EDIT

Still incorrect

Negative Ghost Rider. If you're HR is increased, you burn. This is fact. When you combine BOTH Cardio and Weights, whether one right after the other at a sustained increase of HR, you burn more than Lifting or Cardio, alone. If you take breaks longer than 15 secs between your sets, and are not pushing your limits. Additionally, you must maintain an elevated HR. It is best done by mixing your lifting routines - for example - Curls, Lat pull-downs, Military Press, Bench Press 10 reps = 1 set with <10s interchange.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Lifting weights does not burn many calories at all because it is not cardio.

That's not exactly true. hell you burn calories while you sleep. You don't have to be doing cardio to burn calories. It *does* depend on intensity and the length of time you are lifting. An average burn might be around 200 calories in a one hour session, but that can vary widely, depending on the person and on the intensity, how long your rest between sets, etc.

http://www.answerfitness.com/296/how-many-calories-are-burned-weight-liftin/

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

And this!
  • drmerc

See my EDIT

Still incorrect

Negative Ghost Rider. If you're HR is increased, you burn. This is fact. When you combine BOTH Cardio and Weights, whether one right after the other at a sustained increase of HR, you burn more than Lifting or Cardio, alone. If you take breaks longer than 15 secs between your sets, and are not pushing your limits. Additionally, you must maintain an elevated HR. It is best done by mixing your lifting routines - for example - Curls, Lat pull-downs, Military Press, Bench Press 10 reps = 1 set with <10s interchange.

You are incorrect, the number of calories burned by your heart is very small, increasing your heart rate does not increase calorie burn