Lifting- How many calories burned?

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Wear an HRM for your complete workout. Name it...Moving the Gym forcefully over the trolls.

HRMs are modeled after a constant cardio style activity and are not accurate to weight lifting

See my EDIT

Still incorrect

Negative Ghost Rider. If you're HR is increased, you burn. This is fact. When you combine BOTH Cardio and Weights, whether one right after the other at a sustained increase of HR, you burn more than Lifting or Cardio, alone. If you take breaks longer than 15 secs between your sets, and are not pushing your limits. Additionally, you must maintain an elevated HR. It is best done by mixing your lifting routines - for example - Curls, Lat pull-downs, Military Press, Bench Press 10 reps = 1 set with <10s interchange.

You are incorrect, the number of calories burned by your heart is very small, increasing your heart rate does not increase calorie burn

Really? Increasing your hear rate does not increase calorie burn? When your hear works harder, it's to remove toxic carbon dioxide from your muscles, so it's doing the same procedure for cardio as it is for weight training. I think you need to do some research because weight training done in the right way can burn just as many, if not more, calories as traditional cardiovascular activity. Sure, someone that waits 5 minutes between sets is not going to burn as many calories as somone on a treadmill but I can get my heartrate into the fat burning zone with weight training and keep it there pretty easily weight training.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    You are incorrect, the number of calories burned by your heart is very small, increasing your heart rate does not increase calorie burn

Please, post where you know this knowledge. Mine comes from being trained by the US Army as Medic, of which, part of my duties were to oversee the BOLO's

INCREASING YOUR HEART BURNS.

here is WELL KNOWN report...I'll give you the short highlight:
    Will your fitness level effect the number of calories you burn?
    Yes, as you do endurance training your body adapts in many physiological mechanisms. One positive adaptation is a lower submaximal heart rate intensity during your aerobic workouts at a given oxygen consumption. Fit individuals will often challenge themselves by exercising harder, elevating their heart rate intensity and thus burn more calories because they are also then elevating their submaximal oxygen consumption.

Can certain types of exercise burn more calories than others?
    Based on the fundamental principles of indirect calorimetry, to burn more calories during exercise you need to increase oxygen consumption.

Feel free to read: http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/caloricexp.html
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    If someone startles you, your heart rate goes up too, even though you don't move. It might go as high as when you are sprinting.
    Therefore, being startled burns the same calories as sprinting.

I'm going to go watch two scary movies at once and burn a thousand calories.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Really? Increasing your hear rate does not increase calorie burn? When your hear works harder, it's to remove toxic carbon dioxide from your muscles, so it's doing the same procedure for cardio as it is for weight training. I think you need to do some research because weight training done in the right way can burn just as many, if not more, calories as traditional cardiovascular activity. Sure, someone that waits 5 minutes between sets is not going to burn as many calories as somone on a treadmill but I can get my heartrate into the fat burning zone with weight training and keep it there pretty easily weight training.

Yes really
    Calories are burned is determine by the number of muscle cells that are activated to preform your activity
    THAT is what uses the energy and uses the oxygen

When weight training you are usually activating a small number of groups, such as your bicep when doing your brocurls

That causes a increase in heart rate to delivery oxygen to those cells, even though the rest of your body did not consume the energy, only a small amount of that oxygen would be consumed

Doing a series of strength training will cause your heart rate to bump up over and over but only consume a small amount of oxygen (which is what we are trying to measure to determine calorie burn)
  • drmerc

Please, post where you know this knowledge. Mine comes from being trained by the US Army as Medic, of which, part of my duties were to oversee the BOLO's

Ask for a refund?
  • jasonp_ritzert
    If someone startles you, your heart rate goes up too, even though you don't move. It might go as high as when you are sprinting.

Yes, your heart rates spikes when startled, but how long does it stay there? Go do 30 minutes of jogging on a treadmill and do 30 of squatting or leg press and tell me which one you can recover from quicker and that you don't burn as many calories lifting as with cardio.
  • jasonp_ritzert

Yes really
    Calories are burned is determine by the number of muscle cells that are activated to preform your activity
    THAT is what uses the energy and uses the oxygen

When weight training you are usually activating a small number of groups, such as your bicep when doing your brocurls

That causes a increase in heart rate to delivery oxygen to those cells, even though the rest of your body did not consume the energy, only a small amount of that oxygen would be consumed

Doing a series of strength training will cause your heart rate to bump up over and over but only consume a small amount of oxygen (which is what we are trying to measure to determine calorie burn)

Ever heard of HIIT cardio training? Basically the same principles of weight training... a period of increased stress followed by a period of low stress/rest.

*EDIT* Also, the first purpose of your heart rate increasing is to remove carbone dioxide (very toxic to muscles). Basic human physiology my friend.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    It's for toning

Cardio is where you burn calories

The word 'toning' makes me cringe.

You may not 'burn many calories whilst lifting', but lifting heavy will increase the amount of calories you burn overall. Really lifting is a win win situation.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member

Yes, your heart rates spikes when startled, but how long does it stay there? Go do 30 minutes of jogging on a treadmill and do 30 of squatting or leg press and tell me which one you can recover from quicker and that you don't burn as many calories lifting as with cardio.

My heart rate goes to about 170 during a single high effort deadlift pull. It stays there for about 20 seconds, then drops to about 150 for another 20 seconds, and eventually gets down to resting in a few minutes.

When I run hard, my heart rate is around 160-165.

So, you're saying that the 40 seconds where I'm kneeling, perfectly still, recovering from my deadlift max rep attempt burns the same number of calories as 40 seconds of running very fast?
  • drmerc

My heart rate goes to about 170 during a single high effort deadlift pull. It stays there for about 20 seconds, then drops to about 150 for another 20 seconds, and eventually gets down to resting in a few minutes.

So, you're saying that the 40 seconds where I'm kneeling, perfectly still, recovering from my deadlift max rep attempt burns the same number of calories as 40 seconds of running very fast?

^^ this

People, its not heart rate that burns calories, its activity
  • I use Endomondo App. It work with Myfinesspal .
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    I don't know how intense everyone's weight lifting sessions are, or how heavy they're lifting...but the general consensus seems to be that you don't burn many calories weight lifting. In my personal experience, my heart rate gets as high if not higher during a lifting session than a cardio session...and I typically have a sopping wet shirt to prove it. I don't use an HRM or even log weight lifting in MFP but I feel like lifting can potentially burn a lot more calories than people think, depending on the intensity of the lifting session.

I burn much more lifting weights also, or maybe its just the fact that i have more muscle and that helps me burn more throughout the day. Not sure, but i can do no cardio as long as im lifting and i continue to lose weight.
  • jasonp_ritzert

[/quote]

Your comparisons are not fair. If you are running hard for 30 minutes, try doing 30 minutes of fast paced weight training. If you are waiting a few minutes between sets of weight training, then yes, you are obviously not going to get the same caloric burn. But, what about someone like me that rests 45-60 seconds between sets? My heart rates is still pretty high between sets with very little rest, much like interval cardio training.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member

"Your comparisons are not fair. If you are running hard for 30 minutes, try doing 30 minutes of fast paced weight training. If you are waiting a few minutes between sets of weight training, then yes, you are obviously not going to get the same caloric burn. But, what about someone like me that rests 45-60 seconds between sets? My heart rates is still pretty high between sets with very little rest, much like interval cardio training.
    [/quote]"

yep...this!
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

"SparkPeople's Fitness Tracker doesn't estimate calorie burn for strength training because so many variables are involved (how hard you're working, resting in between sets, the amount of weight you lift, etc.) that any estimate would not be very accurate. A heart rate monitor (HRM) is capable of estimating calorie burn pretty accurately—but only for aerobic (cardio) exercise, not for strength training. Here's why:

A HRM won't give you an accurate idea of how many calories you burn during strength training, because the relationship between heart rate and calorie expenditure is not the same during strength training as during cardio exercise, which is what the HRM's estimate is based on. Unless your weight training is very vigorous circuit training, the heart rate monitor will be overestimating your calorie burn by a fair amount.

The problem is a technical one. Calorie burning isn't determined by heart rate, it's determined by the number of muscle cells that are activated to perform a given activity. It's the working cells that actually use the energy (calories) and consume oxygen. When working muscle cells need more energy and oxygen, your heart rate goes up to deliver these things to the cells via the blood stream.

Any muscle that performs a high intensity or maximum effort (strength training) will trigger an increase in heart rate and blood flow. But if only a single muscle group is on the receiving end to utilize that extra oxygen (doing a strength exercise that isolates your biceps, for example), only a relatively small amount of oxygen (and calories) will actually be consumed.

So while a series of strength training exercises may elevate your heart rate like aerobic exercise does, you're not actually using as much oxygen and burning as many calories as you would be if you were steadily using several large muscles all at once, as when walking, running, swimming, or doing aerobics for example.

The heart rate monitor doesn’t know whether your increase in heart rate is due to several large muscle groups working (cardio), an isolated muscle group lifting a weight (strength training), or even if adrenaline or excitement is increasing your heart rate. It just knows your heart rate, and the formulas it uses to estimate calories are based on studies of aerobic exercise, not other activities. So, it's going to overestimate your calorie expenditure when the rise in heart rate is stimulated by using isolated muscles at maximum intensity, which is what occurs during strength training."

Written by Dean Anderson, Certified Personal Trainer
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    The question remains however, if you are using MFP as intended and eating back exercise calories how many do you eat back after a lifting session?

I go with the MFP guesstimate which is far lower than my HRM.

Once I hit my goal weight and am fit enough to be training regularly I am going to go with the calorie guidelines in NRLFW. which is RMR x 1.6 on non-workout days and 1.8 on workout days..
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I'm in...

...because I believe drmerc is speaking truth here and I find general misunderstanding about what a HRM can/can not do interesting...(regardless of whether or not I believe he is generally a d-bag most other times or not).
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Wear an HRM for your complete workout. Name it...Moving the Gym forcefully over the trolls.

HRMs are modeled after a constant cardio style activity and are not accurate to weight lifting

See my EDIT

Still incorrect

Negative Ghost Rider. If you're HR is increased, you burn. This is fact. When you combine BOTH Cardio and Weights, whether one right after the other at a sustained increase of HR, you burn more than Lifting or Cardio, alone. If you take breaks longer than 15 secs between your sets, and are not pushing your limits. Additionally, you must maintain an elevated HR. It is best done by mixing your lifting routines - for example - Curls, Lat pull-downs, Military Press, Bench Press 10 reps = 1 set with <10s interchange.

"The right way"

Lol.

Anyway

Who cares

Shut up and squat.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    The amount of miss info on this board is pretty funny.

Everything drmerc has said is right.

Comparing steady state cardio to lifting weights is like comparing apples and oranges. Lifting burns more calories over a 24 hour period than the same amount of steady state cardio. There is no truly accurate way to measure this other than trial and error with your caloric intake.
  • SlimPossible8
    SlimPossible8 Posts: 71 Member
    Bahahahahahaha! Amazing!

You can increase your heart rate simply by breathing faster sitting at a desk too... what drmerc is saying is that HR ALONE is not enough to indicate how many calories you are burning. *not trying to put words in your mouth. Even with a HR monitor you are still estimating how many calories you are burning by entering your numbers in an equation that is an estimate based on your age hight and CW. Its not 100%.