Confused. Soda and Weight Loss

Options
124»

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

By the way, you don't see many skinny people drinking diet soda do you? They are usually fat. I believe diet soda contributes to a large stomach.

So true!!! Most are fat!

Fat people are often seen drinking diet soda, therefore diet soda makes you fat.

Also, killing turkeys causes winter.
  • MLBuddecke
    MLBuddecke Posts: 13
    Options
    depending on what types of soda you drank, the headahes might have been from caffine withdrawal, which I had when I stopped drinking coffee. It was bad migranes for a few days, and now I am very careful about caffine intake so that I don't ever have to go through the withdrawal again.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    There is a LOT of misinformation here and it is really unfortunate for the OP. SODA diet or regular will cause you to gain weight. Even the zero calorie. Fact. There are plenty of studies to back this up. The caffeine in regular and diet soda promotes cortisol production which causes you to gain weight, especially in the belly area or prevents weight loss. Google that yourself and find tons of links backing it up. Also, stress produces cortisol, again causing weight gain or preventing weight loss.

Next, is the sodium in regular and diet soda is high which also contributes to weight gain or lack of weight loss.

Finally, there is a lot of other crap in sodas that will contribute to weight gain or lack of weight loss.

If you want to lose weight, drop ALL sodas, juice, processed foods and sugar..........drink only water. No juice. No milk. No faux drinks in a bottle. Water and water only. Also cut out breads, pastas and anything made with white flour. But most important is to drink only water. Your body will thank you for it, I promise!

I have been a soda addict for 20+ years. I gained a lot of weight from it. I decided to do lots of research and found that soda was bad news on so many levels. I quit cold turkey one day and never looked back. I am losing weight due to it.

If one truly wants to lose weight, they would eliminate ALL crap from the diet which includes diet soda/zero calorie soda. What is the point of even trying if you go at it half-assed and keeping some crap around? Go all or go home is what I say! Good luck OP..you can do it!!

My favorite part was when you posted the studies showing that zero calorie beverages cause weight gain.

Oh don't encourage the poster. Studies can prove whatever the study wants to prove.

My favorite part of the post was saying unequivocally that diet coke *will* cause weight gain, despite no less than 10 people on this very thread sharing their own experiences of losing weight while drinking diet soda regularly. Guess those people are all liars. I must be an anomaly then- I drank a 20 liter bottle of non diet cherry coke a day in high school and was the same weight all four years. I weigh about 5 pounds less now than in school and drink diet soda every day.
  • violenceandlace
    Options
    I drink (drank) a ton of soda. We are talking 3-4 dr peppers a day. Sometimes more. Not to mention the one or two green monsters i would drink a day (i know they are bad for you). I always hear "oh when i came off sodas i dropped 20 pounds just like that). I haven't had one single regular soda or monster in 2.5 weeks and i have NOT seen the dramatic weight loss i expected. I know it's only been two weeks but going from so much a day to nothing for two weeks i should see SOMETHING..wouldn't you think?? I have only drank diet and water. No sweet tea, no chocolate milk, nothing like that. Only diet and water.

Anyone have any inspiring words? I'm getting bummed out about it and am really starting to think I should just go ahead and drink a regular Dr. Pepper. I wouldn't do that...bc i've gotten used to diet now so it would just be a dumb health decision, but you get the point.

Words of encouragement please??? I just don't understand why nothing is fallling off :(

3-4 sodas a day is a ton? I drank a 12 pack of Coke every day for almost a decade 0.o

It was hard to switch. I switched to Coke Zero, and now I mostly do fizzy water. Maybe half a can of soda a day, usually zero calorie. I'll have maybe 2 cans of something full sugar, like a Cream Soda or regular Coke, when I'm PMSing so I don't murder everyone. I try to drink an adequate amount of water, and fizzy kinda-sodas like Cascade Ice or Pelligrinos.

Just discovered the Hi-Ball energy drinks, which are zero sweeteners, fizzy water, grapefruit oil, caffeine. Fantastic.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    There is a LOT of misinformation here and it is really unfortunate for the OP. SODA diet or regular will cause you to gain weight. Even the zero calorie. Fact. There are plenty of studies to back this up. The caffeine in regular and diet soda promotes cortisol production which causes you to gain weight, especially in the belly area or prevents weight loss. Google that yourself and find tons of links backing it up. Also, stress produces cortisol, again causing weight gain or preventing weight loss.

Next, is the sodium in regular and diet soda is high which also contributes to weight gain or lack of weight loss.

Finally, there is a lot of other crap in sodas that will contribute to weight gain or lack of weight loss.

If you want to lose weight, drop ALL sodas, juice, processed foods and sugar..........drink only water. No juice. No milk. No faux drinks in a bottle. Water and water only. Also cut out breads, pastas and anything made with white flour. But most important is to drink only water. Your body will thank you for it, I promise!

I have been a soda addict for 20+ years. I gained a lot of weight from it. I decided to do lots of research and found that soda was bad news on so many levels. I quit cold turkey one day and never looked back. I am losing weight due to it.

If one truly wants to lose weight, they would eliminate ALL crap from the diet which includes diet soda/zero calorie soda. What is the point of even trying if you go at it half-assed and keeping some crap around? Go all or go home is what I say! Good luck OP..you can do it!!

My favorite part was when you posted the studies showing that zero calorie beverages cause weight gain.

I know, right? *smh*
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    that's just it you are still drinking the sodas. Diet soda or regular soda it doesn't matter, it's soda.... If you replace EVERYTHING you drink with water you will lose the weight...

Diet soda does not have calories and is a far better choice than regular soda if the user wishes to lose weight.
    I lost 60lbs drinking more soda than the OP

Bolding the above from Drmerc because I think it got lost with the broscience being tossed about.

As a few have basically said, if it is within your calorie goals, you'll still lose weight. Drinking soda, diet or otherwise, isn't an automatic gain, maintain, or loss factor.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    if it came to drinking normal soda and there was no such thing as diet. I would give it up, I dont even drink juice.
    F that. I would rather eat ****ing candy than that ****. Drinking straight carbs and satisfaction of it blows. Would rather drink a beer or wine.

I honestly dont even drink juice

not worth the calories. Would rather eat a big piece of chocolate cake.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

By the way, you don't see many skinny people drinking diet soda do you? They are usually fat. I believe diet soda contributes to a large stomach.

So true!!! Most are fat!

Many lean people drink diet soda. I drink a lot of it and have a BMI of 20 with about 10% body fat. If your only concern is weight loss calories in vs calories out will answer all your questions.

It can take more than a few weeks to see results but if you consume fewer calories than your TDEE you will lose weight over time regardless of your food/beverage selections.

If you want to discuss other health issues besides weight that is a topic for another thread.
  • EuSaNaD
    EuSaNaD Posts: 33
    Options
    Here's my two-cents-worth regarding diet pop: Aspartame is POISON and it's NOT worth it!!!

http://pinterest.com/pin/161566705354574558/

Also, the High Fructose Corn Syrup in regular pop isn't any better...

http://pinterest.com/pin/258745941063013354/

Just decide to stop poisoning yourself altogether, and drink water. I've heard a good rule-of-thumb is to divide your weight by 2, and that's how many ounces of water your body needs. Good luck!!!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    that's just it you are still drinking the sodas. Diet soda or regular soda it doesn't matter, it's soda.... If you replace EVERYTHING you drink with water you will lose the weight...
    This is totally wrong. You can lose weight with diet soda.

You are likely not dropping weight because you are either overeating now (compared to what you were before) or holding onto water.
    your body is looking for energy and calories are spontaneously created out of thin air. laws of thermodynamics do not apply to diet soda.

Dont you dare question the almighty me
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Here's my two-cents-worth regarding diet pop: Aspartame is POISON and it's NOT worth it!!!

You should ask for change.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking after six months, the OP has found her words of encouragement elsewhere and probably isn't monitoring this post anymore.