hollowing out a bagel

Options
124»

Replies

• swtdelta
    Options
    I think you guys are missing the point. I, too, ask for my bagels to be hollowed out. When you order out, they will give you the WHOLE thing and it is difficult for me to eat just half of it and throw the other half away. So, I get them to hollow it out. That way, I eat all that I have and I know in my mind that I have saved at least "some" calories.
    I do believe the best way to figure out how many calories I've saved is to weigh it before and after, but who has time for that.

Some of you are just plain rude for mocking and making fun of people for their small ways of trying to save calories...

Your FIRST post ever on MFP...after having been here for over TWO YEARS...is to bump an almost THREE MONTH old thread...about HOLLOWING OUT A BAGEL???

That's awesome.

:flowerforyou:

And count again... it will BE two years in August....
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    69. It's always 69.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think you guys are missing the point. I, too, ask for my bagels to be hollowed out. When you order out, they will give you the WHOLE thing and it is difficult for me to eat just half of it and throw the other half away. So, I get them to hollow it out. That way, I eat all that I have and I know in my mind that I have saved at least "some" calories.
    I do believe the best way to figure out how many calories I've saved is to weigh it before and after, but who has time for that.

Some of you are just plain rude for mocking and making fun of people for their small ways of trying to save calories...

Your FIRST post ever on MFP...after having been here for over TWO YEARS...is to bump an almost THREE MONTH old thread...about HOLLOWING OUT A BAGEL???

That's awesome.

Ha!!! Thanks for noticing. I'm flattered.
    Now bite me!

Ha! :laugh:

That's fair.

(So anyhow, welcome to the MFP forums.)
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I love hollowing out bagels.
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Nice, guys. Clearly she asked "Hey, can everyone *kitten* on me for asking a question? Also, could everyone tell me how they eat and how I should do what they do?"

To the people who suggested weighing before and after, thank you for just answering a question without being judgemental.

Here here! I have been hollow out bagels for years. I like the crust best abd it saves wasted calories and carbs. As to how many calories and carbs - I guestimate the % left and record it as that % of a bagel.

Keep on scooping!!
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love how angry and snarky people get over hollowing out a freaking bagel. Hollow out that bagel if you want! I might do it now that I think about it- Esp for sandwiches- Then you have "pockets" to hold the food. Thanks for the Idea forum!

P.S. There is a reason the question says how would I find the calories and not "Please. Tell me how you really feel about the way I eat my food."
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I never thought about hollowing out or squishing down the soft bit of a bagel, it's an excellent idea!

I love bagels but very rarely treat myself as they are so calorie dense but I will certainly be scooping the excess out (and freeze it for breadcrumbs) to save some calories but mainly to get more filling in.

There are so many fillings I've wanted in a bagel but never bothered because I knew half of it would squeeze out, not any more though!

Thank you OP for this top tip. :flowerforyou:
  • jennamt87
    jennamt87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know at Bruegger's Bagels, a "skinny" cut bagel is worth 2/3 the calories of a whole bagel.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

That's awesome.

Ha!!! Thanks for noticing. I'm flattered.
    Now bite me!

And count again... it will BE two years in August....

Wow, so confrontational about being pointed out she answered a question about hollowing out a bagel from a couple months back. Did you just search bagel and find this thread? lmao. Weird thread to get revived.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I half or quarter my bagels when I have then which is not too often anymore in the am. Hard to comprehend some days I'd eat two sometimes with eggs, or cream cheese, butter, jam...ugh the olden days.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I love hollowing out bagels.

I bet you do
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Ha, I'm completely going to respond to this zombie thread, because I love bagels

I love the idea of hollowing out the bagel. I always hate when fillings oosh out..

And, I'm thinking, keep the scooped out centers in the freezer and later make a nice dense stuffing or bread pudding.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Same concept as Jimmy John's TBO = Take Bread Out.

The crust is the best bit, so if I had a choice between half a piece of a bagel/bread or just the crust for the same calories, I'll take the crust.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    lol By the time you hollow out the bagel, your probably eating half. So why don't you just eat half, record half, and save the other half for tomorrow?
  • swtdelta
    Options
    Yes, I did...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Same concept as Jimmy John's TBO = Take Bread Out.

The crust is the best bit, so if I had a choice between half a piece of a bagel/bread or just the crust for the same calories, I'll take the crust.

Jimmy John's will do that? Brilliant!

(But hey, this would be a totally normal thing to do...not like hollowing out a bagel...which is weird. (I wonder if they'll put the hollowed out parts on the side for me.) Don't question my judgment.)
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    This...this is effing genius.

Right, that's it. This weekend, I shall make me and The Man some Hollow Breakfast Bagels. Scoop that mutha, scrambled some eggs, grate some cheese, grill some bacon, and get stuffin'. Also, a cup of tea.