I just had a total food binge

Options
I have been really strict with myself regarding food intake for the past 3 weeks, and I just had a food binge. I ate and ate and ate. I had a 20 ounce of Pepsi, my favorite, and a whole bag of chips. I can not believe I consumed 810 calories in one sitting. That is so disgusting. I am so frustrated that I did this. I am about to be weighed for my weight loss group that I am, and I am sure that I am up. Last week I was the biggest loser, and I feel that there is a part of me that is self-sabotaging. I could have done well this week too, but instead I went on this big binge. I can not believe I did this to myself. I mean, I am the only one that it is hurting. I did it all in secret too, when no one else was around. I hate the relationship that I have with food. I wish that I could just eat normal amounts of food, and not have this Love/Hate relationship that I have with food. I am really glad that I am going to my support group tonight. I am also glad that I totalled the amount that I ate, I was not going to even record it. It was 810 calories, and God knows how much fat. Please if you have ever been there, please post support.

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i ate a 750 calorie breakfast.

then spooned some almond butter from the jar...

then got a pita at pita pit... extra cheese.

life happens...

high five??
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    That wasn't much of a binge. You might feel bad but it's really not that huge of a setback. Make a better choice at the next opportunity and forgive yourself.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i ate a 750 calorie breakfast.

then spooned some almond butter from the jar...

then got a pita at pita pit... extra cheese.

life happens...

high five??

Love this. My breakfast was 650--so a binge relative to my size I guess. In all seriousness though--OP--it was not that big of a deal. Many people eat that large of meals routinely and still lose weight.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    That's not a binge my friend. I eat 1,000 + on every meal. It depends on your goals, but 800 cals won't do a lot of damage. Just try to figure out what triggered this and try to deal with the root problem instead of just beating yourself up.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. And once i start eating junk i can't quit. It was really bad the last week with the halloween candy.
    Don't beat yourself up over it. We all do it. Tomorrow is a new day. Just remember the next time you pick up that bag of chips how you feel right now.
  • GodzillaR35
    GodzillaR35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    thats not a binge...thats just going a little overboard...a binge is rocking a Large Pizza,6 pack of beer..you get the drift.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    If your weight is up when you weigh in, know that it's probably from the sodium from the chips (water retention), not the actual food, which is only 1/4 of a pound worth of calories.

You're doing great. Don't let a small setback ruin your journey.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Don't let this one mistake ruin your progress. No matter what happened today you CAN do better tomorrow.

Do not let this be an excuse to back slide. Do NOT give yourself permission to fail because you made this one mistake.

"I can't do it." -Words you can NEVER say to yourself.

You CAN do this. You want to do this.
    So do it already.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I hope your support group helped you...personally I think a lot of the weight issues are getting your mind in the right place...I may be wrong but I hope you find your way!!!

If I can do it and lots of people on MFP can do it then you can too xx
  • janeelizabethhoff
    Options
    I did that today too. I am trying to figure out why. I think part of it is boredom, but I also wonder if it is because I am not eating enough on other days. I am suppose to be eating 1600 to 1800 calories per day, but I try to keep it between 1200 and 1300 so that I will loose faster. I tend to be impatient. The other thing I do is eat very very light throughout the day and then by the time I get home I am REALLY hungrey and then eat to much. I think just being aware of it is a start. Understanding why I do it will help me to get better about it. Some people say that we have to take it one day at a time. For me, it is one meal at a time.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I love chips. I hope they were good chips at least and not some crappy kind. Life goes on. Take a deep breath, forgive yourself and move on.
  • ealmy
    ealmy Posts: 17
    Options
    You already did it, stop beating yourself up and forget it. Move on to tomorrow and get back on track, anyone thats ever lost weight has had bad meals, days or weeks. This one meal doesn't define you!!!!
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I sat on my bathroom floor once, in a ball, crying because of how much food I ate one day. You are NOT alone in this. I don't care if it is "technically" not a "binge". I agree with you, it is a lot of unhealthy food for one sitting. Doing it in secret? No, not good.

Adding it up and counting it. AMAZING!

Stand up, dust yourself off, and be proud that you admitted it to yourself. It's one day. One meal.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    It's not the end of the world. It could have been much worse. Do you have time for a killer workout before your weigh in? If you go out and burn some calories you'll probably feel much better
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Some extra exercising, a ton of water intake and you'll be fine! That's not to say you should do this all the time, but it won't throw off your entire three weeks of hard work. Some people even believe in staggering there calorie count for the week as your weekly deficit is more vital then your day to day. Don't starve yourself tomorrow thinking you can fix what happened "yesterday" (today). Just keep going. Get in a little jog in place or a little walking in place tonight and watch any more of your eating. Tomorrow, get up and act like it never happened!! You did it, you owned it. I did this for like a whole WEEK...that my friend, is giving up lol. I went hardcore for 2.5 months, lost about a good 29lbs, and then suddenly got burned out. I took a break, slacked up on my exercise, and just ate what I wanted. I just ate at maintenance level, instead of gaining levels. Eventually, after about a week (which turned out to be the week before my...ya know, which explains why I was so ravenous) I got tired of eating crap again and got back on the wagon and have finally hit 32lbs lost in 95 days.
    No one said it would be easy. And to be a cliche`, as they say, "You didn't put it all on overnight, it won't all come off overnight." :flowerforyou:
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Go easy on yourself. That's just a little slip up, not an all-out binge. And even if you did have a huge binge, so what? It's just one bad day. None of us are perfect. It's really difficult to be good all the time - especially if you're overly restrictive to yourself. It's not just your relationship with food (goodness knows I have my own food issues), but your relationship with yourself. Be kind to yourself. You can do this! Look at your accomplishments and your successes. If we don't have small failures, then we don't appreciate the successes. Just last Friday I passed up a "sensible" dinner I had planned for and ended up with a 900 calorie entree and then chased it with Chocolate cake. Did I feel guilty? Absolutely. But, I enjoyed it (the food, not the guilt), and the next day I went back to eating more healthy foods. One day won't make or break any of us.

Oh, and I have a bag of candy hidden under my bed that I keep for "emergencies". Now if that's not a bad relationship with food, I don't know what is..........

Hang in there.
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You know what? - it's okay. You made a bad choice at this one meal. The next meal gives you a new opportunity to make a healthy choice. It's not about this one meal or even one bad day. It's about looking at the big picture.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Not trying to rationalize it away for you, but you would have to eat an excess...(an *excess*, not just total calorie count of one meal but an *excess* for the entire day)...like this for at least four days to result in one pound of actual weight gain. I'm not saying you should make a habit of it, but put this one behind you get right back on plan from here.

Actually, while you're being all retrospective about this whole situation, perhaps now is a good time to reevaluate your goals and consider if your current plan is appropriate for you. If this happens frequently, it may be a sign that your daily deficit is a little more than it should be. If that's the case, the consider bumping that up a hundred calories or so each day. By eliminating or at least diminishing the hunger, you reduces the likelihood of a "loss of control" meal. While those aren't catastrophic, the emotional impact of it is worth avoiding if you can.
  • positivepineapple
    positivepineapple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Really strict with food intake for 3 weeks straight? Good job! Sounds like you were about due for a break :-)
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start doing it right again. No biggie.

BUT, don't be so strict. That's what leads to binging. Allow yourself treats (measured/tracked), and now and again, go a little over your calorie goal. If you're "good" nearly all of the time, you will still succeed. Just, maybe, a little slower than someone who is very strict and manages to be that way w/o falling off the wagon. So, try to do food and exercise changes that you can live with. Then you'll be okay for the long term.

Good luck!