Do you see MFP as a Diet of a Lifestyle change?

cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
I see it as a lifestyle change myself, what about you?

In my eyes 'dieting' is depriving yourself. With MFP, you can eat what you like (in moderation) so you aren't depriving yourself...

Replies

• chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Lifestyle change for sure. I'm not interested in losing weight as fast as possible, and I want to do it right so I know how to stay healthy without the assistance of this site later on.
  • Personally, I have made a HUGE attempt to totally eliminate the word "diet" from my vocabulary.

If it is not a a lifestyle change, it simply is NOT going to last. Diets are a thing...a noun...an event, if you will. Just like New Year's resolutions. They have a beginning and an end.

A lifestyle change is not an event. It is a total change of habits and my way of looking at...well...life.

That's my 5 years experience nickel's worth.

jonesey65244
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    It's a fun healthy way to live. I'm a numbers gal, so I like seeing the bottom line, and having an easily accessible database to pull from. Any diet I've every done has lasted until I reach a goal, then I've stopped and regressed, just to gain back more than I lost.

This is different, I reached my initial goal and didn't think "phew, now I can stop" I thought "gee, now I can watch myself and keep it off". I stayed there a few months and decided to lower it a bit. Now I still go through motivational lulls, but then you have your friends to either commisserate or give you a swift kick in the rump to get you going.

I love MFP!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    My use of the site has evolved, as I've spent more time on here. Initially, it was purely and simply a way of recording what I ate, quantifying what exercise i'd done and measuring the results. But, as I spent more time on here, as with most half decent forums, it's turned more into a community thing - I realised i'd got quite a lot out of the place, and wanted to help put something back. So, I know a bit about bikes, and help out answering questions on kit, and / or training / improving ride distance/quality and so on. Which led to running a couple of challenges last year - which pretty much went well, and may result in something similar next year - though I'd like to make it a little less work on my part, especially if it takes off properly...

I admit, I'm not the best at giving "pats on the back" and "well dones" to people when they've logged in for a certain no. of days - most of my "friends" on here are much better than I am at that, and to be honest make me feel guilty for not joining in a little more, but it's really not quite my style.

So - to return to the question - well - neither really - it's part community and part toolkit. It can't actually DO ANYTHING for you, but it can help YOU to do something for yourself.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Lifestyle change - in more ways than one! :drinker:
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Lifestyle change, no "diet" here, or I wouldn't still be here after a year!!!!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    I see the initial weight loss part as a diet. And once achieved, I see maintaining and body improvements part as a lifestyle change.

I think that weight loss goals and maintenance goals are inherently different, and so one can view the two phases differently.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Also, I'm motivated by my goals. Not the labelling of the journey.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Definitely lifestyle change. My goal is to live a healthier life, which includes losing weight and getting a fit as I can.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Not a "diet" - too many negative connotations, and you go ON a diet, you can come OFF a diet.

I consider it a new lifestyle.
  • karen4ever
    karen4ever Posts: 46 Member
    I don't know how to put this, but MFP is like getting a grip with reality.

Seeing exactely what you've eaten and how many cals it has and the other info.

As without it , I might look at something and maybe look at the cals and think that hasn't got too many calories in it. and eat it. Repeat through the day and those calories add up.
    But if your not counting then who knows what you've consummed throughout the day.

MFP is now part of my life and I think it will have to stay in my life to keep me upto date with my choices.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    MFP was part of a personal change for me...i'm not just changing my lifestyle but actally making a better me.

My diet is the food I consume and that includes small portions of ice cream, deep dish pizza, alcohol and anything else that I want and can work reasonably into my calorie balance. For example, I blew my alloted calorites on Halloween by probably 400 (even after exercise calories) or so but I did it knowingly and of choice. I also made sure to cardio hard that day to allow for more calories.

I like what one poster said about MFP being a real dose of reality - making you really cognizant about what you are eating.
  • neither - I see it as a meat market. :drinker:
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    neither - I see it as a meat market. :drinker:

With the ratio of ladies to men, seems more like Tsukiji :laugh: :drinker: :laugh:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Don't stop believin'
  • neither - I see it as a meat market. :drinker:

With the ratio of ladies to men, seems more like Tsukiji :laugh: :drinker: :laugh:

Hey, I ain't discriminatin' ;)
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Lifestyle. I'm not even happy with my diet now that I reached my goal. I have learned so much about what I put into my body. I think we can use the site to continue to set goals after the weight loss happens. I am still struggling with my fat and salt content but this site gives me the tools to keep tracking it while I try to get my diet cleaned up.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    I agree with the reality check aspect which in turn has helped me change my life :)
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    I think it is a lifestyle change. I has made me VERY aware of what I am putting in my mouth. I am trying to log everything so I can see my shortfalls. It think this is a necessary tool to maintain your weight also.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Lifestyle change-I will be here forever!! lol