Birth Control Questions...

Options
13»

Replies

• nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I couldn't take the pill because of this, so I went on The depo injection, been no troubles for 5 years now
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Definitely see the doctor with the family history. I'm. Recovering from. Liver surgery. I had liver tumors caused by the contraceptive pill. I would go for a no hormone option if possible. I know this is not a very regular occurance... But why take any chances if you don't need to? Something to think about.

Zara x
  • afikaris
    afikaris Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been on a generic BC (Levora) for 3 years now and I'm always ready to go. No problems with libido here. lol
  • afoz1990
    afoz1990 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Been on Nuvaring for about a year! Works wonders, everything from my PMS being way less extreme, my periods being lighter, and no mood swings! And contrary to popular belief, it is not felt during lol. It's very easy to put in and the first day maybe you realize it's there but then you forget! No need to set an alarm everyday just in for 3 weeks out for 1 and you're good to go! I would highly suggest it :)
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This is between you and your doctor, but if I had a family history of blood clots, there would be no way in hell you'd get me to take hormonal BC.
    I'd use something else.
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I see some misinformation here...

Combined hormonal birth control options, including the ring, increase your risks for clots. It has to do with the estrogen in it. There is some evidence that desogen type progesterone may play a role, but it is DEFINITE that the estrogen does. For most women combined BCP are totally safe, for those that they aren't, they can be fatal or heartbreaking (strokes at 24?). Most of the time they're safe for women under 35 who don't smoke, but if you have ANY family history of clots, strokes or hypertension, I'd consider something else. If you have a history of migraines with aura, I'd consider something else.

Progesterone only choices include the mini-pill, which is nearly as effective as the combined pills, but must be taken within a three hour time frame everyday. You have a much smaller window for remembering your pill. In standard birth control, missing a pill by even a day is not much of an issue. This is not the case with the minipill, you have to be exact. I use this, and I just set my alarm to go of at 7 am everyday since I'm usually asleep at that time and I keep my pills on the nightstand. Alarm goes off, I pop the pill, and am back to sleep in about 10 seconds flat.

Implannon is a good choice for women who are at risk for blood clots. It is implanted in the arm, and it lasts 3 years. Side effects can include some weight gain and spotting, but the reviews on it are far more favorable than for many kinds of birth control.

The Mirena IUD and the paraguard are both good options. I had a paraguard for years (and I've never had a baby nor been pregnant) and I loved a lot of things about it. I did have very heavy periods, and eventually started to get freaked out by the idea of something in my uterus. I wish I had kept it now. The Mirena has a shorter lifespan (5 years vs the 10 to 12 of the paraguard), but the hormone is progesterone only and is, in theory, limited to presence in the uterus. Personally I don't believe the hormone is limited to here, but as I said, its progesterone only so its not a risk factor.

Depo is safe for at risk women, however the side effects are iffy and once you take the shot you have to let it wear off. You can't just stop it if you react badly. Weight gain is common, but not guaranteed. It may lower bone density used long term, but this can be watched with scans if necessary.

Good luck. I am a midwifery student working towards becoming a nurse practitioner. Women's health and birth control options are a passion of mine.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor/nurse/pharmacist, so I can't speak for every pill out there -- but I was on Junel 1.5/something, which is a "low dose" pill, and in the instructions it said (several times) that you shouldn't take that pill if you have blood clotting issues. My gyne said there are different kinds of birth control pills, so maybe there's one with a reduced risk...but I'm not sure that doctor was a great source for information. She kept suggesting more pills to cure the problems that THE PILL had caused...so I wasn't sure whether there was a safe alternative for me, or if she just wanted to write me more prescriptions.

For me, the pill caused far more problems (for my health and my family/social life/career) than it EVER helped. In fact, all it did for me was temporarily hide the symptoms of a problem I will have to have surgery to fix. (Problem started in my senior year of high school, in 2008/09; surgery is scheduled for the week of Thanksgiving.) I don't have any hang-ups about doctors or medications, but you couldn't pay me to recommend the pill, let alone get back on it. If you're taking this for cramps, switch to Ibuprofen if you can/haven't already, use heating pads, take fish oil, do yoga or something...but skip the life-screwing chemicals. I WISH I had.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I would just talk to your doctor about your concerns. If it's risky due to family history, there are always other alternatives. Good luck! :)
  • AdventureVia
    AdventureVia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Vasagel! I can't wait to get it approved in the USofA. Seriously, going to be a game changer.