Pregnancy 2010 - Week 4

Options

Replies

• apatrick23
    Options
    I'm new to this site and I recently got married in May. When I got married I was at my ideal weight but since then I have put on 10-15 lbs. My husband and I are talking about getting pregnant and I just want to lose the weight before the pregnancy, and when it does happen, staying healthy and active (well, as active as possible).

It makes me happy that there is a pregnancy board on this site... very inspirational.

So this is me... introducing myself!
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    welcome apatrick
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    i went over my calories today by 1,140 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AUGH
  • carmenfernau
    Options
    I just recently got married and we are wanting to start a family soon but I would like to lose weight and be at a healthy weight before I get pregnant. I'm new to this site and new to counting calories so if anyone has any advice for me please let me know! Also looking for friends to help support me during this challenge! Thank goodness for a great site like this!
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    Welcome apatrick23 and carmenfernau! I just got married last March too. This is a great site to be on. It's very inspirational and informative.

Angela - hang in there. From the couple people I know who have been pregnant very recently or are now, they were more hungry like this during their first trimester than second or third. My one friend would wake up in the middle of the night starving and would eat. She said it went away though for the most part and she has gotten back to a normal eating pattern. Listen to your body and eat when you're hungry. Maybe you could pack foods that are really filling, like oatmeal or fiber bars/cereal.
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't log on for 24 hours, and am amazed at all the post's and newbies! For all the newbies, welcome to our group! We weigh in every Wednesday. We also start a new topic each Wednesday with the new week number, and we start a new "little" challenge each week.

I didn't even try to log my food yesterday as I took the day off to spend with my mom. We got popcorn at the movies, and then went out for dinner, where I had chicken strips and fries. On the plus side, I had water with both, so at least no soda. Have I mentioned I have been soda free for 28 days!!! A HUGE accomplishment for someone who had 2-4 cans a day up until December 31st.

Have a great day everyone:happy:
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Would you guys mind if I joined your group?

My name is Sara, I live in MI and have been trying to get pregnant since June. I was pretty naive, and figured that I would just get pregnant right away, little did I know, it's not that easy. :ohwell: So, now I'm concentrating on becoming as healthy as possible while my husband and I continue trying to conceive. If anyone has any advice, tips or suggestions I would love to hear them. It's so frustrating to want something so bad and it not happen. I think this thread is the support that I need. :flowerforyou:
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sara!

There are a few on this thread that are already pregnant, and there are some of us trying to get pregnant, and then the rest of us are trying to loose the weight so we can try to become pregnant.

Everyone here is very supportive!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    welcome to carmenfernau and McFatterton!

McFatterton, I'm not sure what you guys have tried to get pregnant so forgive me if this is repetative.

I read a book on finding your fertile week by taking your basal body temperature daily and checking your cervical fluid. I got pregnant the first month we tried this.

So the reason for taking your basal body temperature is to find out when you ovulate. It's a special thermameter (not expensive at all) and basically your temperature is low after your period then shoots up when you ovulate and stays high until your period. If your temp remains high for 16+ days you're pregnant, if it is high for 18+ days then begins to drop you're miscarrying. It's also nice to determine you're ovulation because if you ovulate late you'll have a longer cycle and rather than expeciting to be pregnant since you're late you'll understand that it's just that you ovulated late and won't be dissappointed.

Cervical fluid is more important as far as trying for a baby. Usually when you ovulate it's too late to fertilize that egg, so checking your cervial fluid will let you know when you are in your fertile period (usually lasting a week) and will allow you to begin trying. To check your cervical fluid before you pee swipe a finger around the inside of the lips of your vagina. Most of your cycle it will be dry, as you begin your fertile period it will be a little sticky and feel moist, then may become creamy or lotiony or milky looking, when you're really fertile it will appear like egg whites. The stretchier the better, the wetter the better.

If you're husband has normal sperm count it's best to have sex every day of your fertile period including the day of and possibly the day after ovulation. If he has a lower sperm count it's best to have sex every other day during your fertile period. Hope this helps everyone, let me know if there's any questions.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Angela - thank you so much for the info - I really appreciate it! We haven't really "tried" anything special, I usually know when I ovulate and I do keep track of that so we just try once a day during that period. I'm due to ovulate in about a week so I'll try checking my cervical fluid this coming week. Problem is my husband will be out of town from Sunday till Friday, so hopefully it will hold off until at least Friday :ohwell: . I'm thinking of making an appointment with an obgyn if I'm not successful this month, just to see what (if anything) she suggests. Maybe I'll give the basal body temperature a try first though. I've heard about doing that too - mainly that it's a pain in the *kitten*, but it's good to hear from someone that has had success with it.

Again, I really appreciate it Angela and if anyone else has any words of advice I would love to hear it. :flowerforyou:
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Angela - thank you so much for the info - I really appreciate it! We haven't really "tried" anything special, I usually know when I ovulate and I do keep track of that so we just try once a day during that period. I'm due to ovulate in about a week so I'll try checking my cervical fluid this coming week. Problem is my husband will be out of town from Sunday till Friday, so hopefully it will hold off until at least Friday :ohwell: . I'm thinking of making an appointment with an obgyn if I'm not successful this month, just to see what (if anything) she suggests. Maybe I'll give the basal body temperature a try first though. I've heard about doing that too - mainly that it's a pain in the *kitten*, but it's good to hear from someone that has had success with it.

Again, I really appreciate it Angela and if anyone else has any words of advice I would love to hear it. :flowerforyou:

They actually say that if you try this method and you don't get pregnant within 3 months your considered infertile and should be seen ... so it works pretty well!

CHOOSING THE SEX OF YOUR BABY:

I forgot to mention that if you have sex a few days before you ovulate you're more likely to have a girl, and if you have sex the day before ovulation or closer to ovulation you're more likely to have a girl ... WHY? because female sperm are heavier and swim slower and servive longer so it takes them more time to get their, boy sperm are fast and will get to the egg first, but die quicker. Not 100% garauntee, but worth trying if you have a preference. We didn't much care, just wanted to be pregnant so we had sex every other day (since we didn't know his sperm level) and it worked. :-D
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Sara have fun with trying case it will not be the after the baby comes along. But my tip is to count your days and try to figure out your best days to try and make a baby.

Can I join your group to I had a my baby in June and we want to try and have another one but we are waiting in till she turns at least one. I would love to also like to be heather at the start of my next pregnancy. What were the last 4 weeks goals? :happy:
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    welcom ndfcdf,

We actually just started the goals last week. We did a water goal last week and then calorie goal this week (sorry guys yesterday majorly sucked! Appetites back to normal today ... at least so far).
  • shannonsnail
    shannonsnail Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I haven't been on MFP in a long time but am trying to get into some tracking for a bit here for my nutritionist. I am 18 weeks pregnant and anticipating developing gestational diabetes due to history. I did an early screen at 15 weeks and just barely passed so I will do it again in about 9 weeks. I'm trying to make some changes before then. I don't know if I can avoid it but if I make changes now it will be less overwhelming when I have no choice but to make changes.

Have a great day!
    Shannon
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I haven't been on MFP in a long time but am trying to get into some tracking for a bit here for my nutritionist. I am 18 weeks pregnant and anticipating developing gestational diabetes due to history. I did an early screen at 15 weeks and just barely passed so I will do it again in about 9 weeks. I'm trying to make some changes before then. I don't know if I can avoid it but if I make changes now it will be less overwhelming when I have no choice but to make changes.

Have a great day!
    Shannon

Shannon - welcome to group, and CONGRATULATIONS! :flowerforyou:

We're here to support you, so use us! And remember that the important thing is that you and baby come out healthy.

May I ask how they screened you> I haven't heard of that before. I'm worried about it myself when get preggo.
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    Welcome McFatterton, ndfcdf, and Shannon. This is a great group, and it's fun that we are all in different places (pregnant, trying, and preparing).

How has everybody's challenge been going so far? I was under calories, but over fat today. :-( I couldn't figure whether to count that as a day over or not. I think I am going to. While the challenge was calories, I could have skipped the guacamole and opted for salsa. At least I was good in dipping it with mini rice cakes instead of chips.

I am so excited tomorrow is Friday!!! Any fun plans this weekend?
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    I would eat pasta tonight to fuel yourself for your long day tomorrow. In the morning, I would eat oatmeal and two eggs. It will be pretty filling. That breakfast keeps me going for awhile before I feel hungry.

Good luck tomorrow!!! Have a fun day, and smile knowing you are doing good for yourself and others. :flowerforyou:
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Thanks for all the words of encouragement for tomorrow!

One of classes I'm taking right now is Growth & Development. I wanted to share with you a website that has some amazing information about development - I was especially interested in the section detailing the baby's first year. Hope you like it!

http://www.growinghealthykids.com/english/home/index.html
  • cannon15
    cannon15 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Mind if I join? I've been using MFP for about three weeks and love it! I have a 16 month old son and just found out today that I'm pregnant! According to the due date calculator, I'm due on October 6th. While obviously this is great news, I've been doing so well eating better, exercising, and losing weight, I don't want to lose steam. I was fortunate to only gained 15 pounds with my first pregnancy and I'm hoping I can stay as active with this pregnancy. (Perhaps it had something to do with the 18 weeks of vomiting!)

00Angela00, I was always hungry in my first trimester last time. That slowed down a bit in my second & third. Hang in there, it'll get better. Since I just found out today, I haven't done any research yet. Do you know how many calories we should be eating each day to lose weight yet still keep the baby nourished?