Mike’s Daily Rant 11/02/2012 Topic: Starting Monday

Options
I love to live my life by the cliché that tomorrow is never promised. I live my life like every day is my last and tomorrow may never come. However, I didn’t always live by the cliché. I did what I wanted but would then say that I would change things tomorrow or the day after, yet never changed. That was the procrastinator in me.

381 pounds ago I had trouble staying committed to anything. I sucked at my job (due to being lazy). I took short cuts in school (poor research leads to poor writing). I was a horrible friend (made excuses all the time not be social). Now that I have lost some weight, the tides have turned and I stay busy and constantly work on improving myself. Although I get irritated, agitated, annoyed and sometimes angry with people; I love helping others that need and want my help (Situations
vary). My weight loss is noticeable to the people that I have worked with prior 2010. Many people in my building come to me now to ask for weight-loss tips and advice. They have no problem asking me now that they know with certainty that I do not have an internal bacterial flesh eating disease. They come to me before they come to our coworker named Tony Rambo. Tony Rambo is chiseled and cut up like an action figure. However, they may feel intimidated asking him because he can’t relate. I thought about why they would ask me before asking him and I believe that I came up with a valid answer. Asking a person that has
been fit all of their life about weight loss is like asking a person that has never been married for marriage advice. The single person can’t relate so why bother? This is the exact reason why I really don’t watch Dr. Oz for weight loss advice. When that light bulb went off in my head it all made sense to me.

Now back to why I get irritated, agitated, annoyed and sometimes angry with people. Providing weight loss advice really gets redundant when it comes from the same people and they don’t even attempt to write it down, record the conversation or ATTEMPT! My coworker Adele’ asks me about exercise and diet and really seems so interested every time that
she asks. My irritation comes into play because she asks over and over and I have even emailed her a few things that would help. The very last time that she asked me inspired me to express my irritation with her and ultimately write this rant. I told her that I was done with her this time until she gets serious. Serious does not mean looking at
me with intense eyes and nodding slowly while I explain it to you or restating what I just told you. Serious means actually doing it! Serious means asking questions if you feel that you have attempted and you went wrong somewhere. Serious means not wasting precious time having me repeat the same thing over and over and taking nothing away from it.

Now I did not wash my hands with her because she continues to ask the same questions over and over. I can deal with that. People learn differently and at different rates. It annoys me but I can deal with it.
What set me off this time was a phrase that I was guilty of using prior August 2010. After I went over what she asked for she concludes the conversation with, “This time I am serious! I’ve got to get this weight off of me!” “Starting Monday I am going to be a whole new person” Now I am more than annoyed because I know that every time I said that
exact same thing, nothing ever happened once Monday Started. I tell her that “Starting Monday means another failed attempt.” She tells me that she does not understand what I mean and that I have to explain. I tell her that Monday is only the day that we have designated as a society to begin the work week. You can begin physical activity and diet anytime and any day of the week. I continue to explain to her that today is Wednesday. Waiting until Monday gives her 96 hours to come up with an excuse why Monday is not a good day to start and that she will push it off until the next Monday. Trust me 96 hours is enough time to come up with many more than one. She looks at me and says “you are right.” She then asks me, “Did you have that speech ready for me? Or is that a speech that you have to give often?” I tell her, “That was no speech, it is personal. I know how to fail because I have experienced it so much. It’s easy to fail but I try to help people succeed. So sitting there and saying nothing about you waiting till Monday would be me accepting your failure.” She then asks, “When should I start?” I say “Wednesday”. She says “as in today?” I say, “If you look at that way. I say you could say the day before tomorrow of the day after yesterday.” She smiles and says “Ok Jerk.”

She had a salad for lunch yesterday and today she has grilled chicken and asparagus. She came running to my office to show me this morning that she has steamed cabbage and brown rice. She also told me about her exercise the past 2 days.
It appears that she is more serious than she was Wednesday WHILE talking to me. AFTER talking to me it is clear that she is serious and is committed. I tell her that if she is able to do this for 21 days then I am convinced. A habit becomes a habit after 20 days. I’m rooting for her.

I know that my approach may have seemed a bit pushy and not supportive the way that it came off but I think that she needed the extra push to start. Some people push back when you push them. If they are in defense mode the whole time, no changes can be made. She was not in defense mode so this made things much easier for the both of us when she was addressed with the truth. Never put things off until Monday if it can be done today.

MikeMontana1914

Replies

• AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    :)
  • acidglaze
    acidglaze Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That's great. I used to use the Monday excuse also. Then, almost 2 months ago on a random Sunday morning, I pulled the scale out of the bathroom and weighed in. I told myself "this starts now" and started that morning eating better and learning how to track my food. I've since added running to my routine and will soon be finding time in my schedule to get to my gym to add weight training.

And after around 20 days, I no longer had my cravings for cookies or other sugary snacks.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    applause1.gif?w=340&h=356
  • NoMoreFlubbering
    NoMoreFlubbering Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A good message. I've done that myself many times, and I always did find an excuse :P
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • bvinette31
    bvinette31 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Get her on MFP so she can track her calories all day. I'm wishing her luck but I hope she's not just eating healthy in front of you and grabbing a large big mac meal with a diet coke on her way home!
  • prinlea2000
    prinlea2000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I didn't get the impression from your post that you were being pushy with her. Sounds like she's taking some control now - with your words & actions helping her.
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    great post! I love what you had to say. It is so very true!

Awesome weightloss!!!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the other excuse I hear often.. "I could never run, I have bad knees"

Well guess what. I got planar faciatias from over training. I stopped running for a bit, BUT I DIDN'T STOP EXERCISING even though it would have been a reasonable excuse to most people. Instead I started using the exercise bike and the ARC trainer.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Love you, Mike. :drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you know, you have your own blog you can use...
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    You rock! I think that's great what you said to her, that may have been the push that she needed :)
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    :) Enjoyed this
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    What I don't get is how you find something EVERY day to rant about. That's just sad.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    **slow clap**
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    This is pretty long so I'm just going to read it on Monday....
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how many times I've said "starting Monday" and never did. In fact I don't even remember what day I started on my path to healthy living,
  • Pnknlvr96
    Pnknlvr96 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is pretty long so I'm just going to read it on Monday....

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    That's great. I used to use the Monday excuse also. Then, almost 2 months ago on a random Sunday morning, I pulled the scale out of the bathroom and weighed in. I told myself "this starts now" and started that morning eating better and learning how to track my food. I've since added running to my routine and will soon be finding time in my schedule to get to my gym to add weight training.

And after around 20 days, I no longer had my cravings for cookies or other sugary snacks.

Way to go!!! That's great. happy to hear that.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    applause1.gif?w=340&h=356

LOL. I like these things.