High Intensity Interval Training

I just read this article, and I am intrigued about the possibilities. Anybody have any feedback/experience of High Intensity Interval Training and its effectiveness?

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/11/02/interval-training-and-intermittent-fasting.aspx?
e_cid=20121102_DNL_art_1

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    It sucks, but it will definitely improve your conditioning.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Just started adding HIIT to my routine a couple of weeks ago. Promptly got the flu...so no results yet.

I am finding it challenging, but hoping to spend less time on the cardio machines and more time with weights as a result of using it.
  • 40 min on the elliptical, 10 min warm up, 20 min of 1 min hard 1 min med paces, 10 min cool down. I do 5 days a week. 17 LBS lost in 1 month doing so.
  • Also after reading the artical your posting I dont believe in the Fasting end.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    I do HIIT as part of my workout. It's hard but it works really well (that's what she said).
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Do some research on Tabata. He is the guy who pretty much invented interval training. It's been proven time and time again that HIIT is a very effective way to torch calories and increase speed. I try and run 3-4 times a week, and for one of those runs I do intervals.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    I've done HIIT since March, no more than 20-25 mins though 2-3 times a week, and have dramatically dropped my BF due to it. It's hard but I love it. I also love being done in 20 mins, dripping in sweat and the person next to me who has moved slow for 45 mins+ hardly looking like they have done anything ask how the hell do I look like that after 20 mins?? Hmmm quality over quantity.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    I just read this article, and I am intrigued about the possibilities. Anybody have any feedback/experience of High Intensity Interval Training and its effectiveness?

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/11/02/interval-training-and-intermittent-fasting.aspx?
    e_cid=20121102_DNL_art_1

I do HIIT in the form of Sprint 8 intervals--warmup, 8 x (10-15 seconds all-out sprint, 90 seconds recovery), cooldown--once a week. I haven't seen great improvement from it, but I think the principle is sound.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    40 min on the elliptical, 10 min warm up, 20 min of 1 min hard 1 min med paces, 10 min cool down. I do 5 days a week. 17 LBS lost in 1 month doing so.

HIIT is good, but you lost your weight by eating at a deficit. Your HIIT helped to increase that deficit.
  • 40 min on the elliptical, 10 min warm up, 20 min of 1 min hard 1 min med paces, 10 min cool down. I do 5 days a week. 17 LBS lost in 1 month doing so.

HIIT is good, but you lost your weight by eating at a deficit. Your HIIT helped to increase that deficit.

Bingo. But HIIT also increases your oxygen recovery post workout also, therefor continuing to burn calories longer after the workout. Bottom line it is working for me.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member

e_cid=20121102_DNL_art_1

I do HIIT in the form of Sprint 8 intervals--warmup, 8 x (10-15 seconds all-out sprint, 90 seconds recovery), cooldown--once a week. I haven't seen great improvement from it, but I think the principle is sound.

10-15 seconds all out followed by 90 seconds rest is not really HIIT.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Love HIIT - bang for your buck, and I just love feeling as if I am going to die after only 15 minutes!!

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Lifestyle/Blog/311/Tip_13_Substitute_Intervals_for_Aerobic_Cardio_To_Improve_Body_Composition_&_Save_Time.aspx
  • SP2Bfit
    SP2Bfit Posts: 114
    I actually enjoy HIIT...in small doses like 30 minutes--it certainly gives a great workout in a short amount of time. crazy intense for the burst but recovery times make it all worth while...I much prefer exercising on the treadmill with HIIT vs. a steady pace. Give it a try--If I were you I would make sure to wear a heart rate monitor. Respect recovery periods get your HR back down into target zone (60-70% of maximum HR)....the first few times I did it I didn't let myself recover enough between interval bursts (90% of maximum HR) and wound up with a few seconds of double vision--20-30 minutes after my workout was over which was very unpleasant!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member

Well, Phil Campbell, M.S., M.A., ACSM-CPT, FACHE, the guy who wrote the book, thinks it is. I'm not an expert like you, though, so I can't say if he's right or not.
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Nick mentioned earlier about not agreeing with the fasting aspect of the article that started this post. Anybody have any experience/feedback on the fasting part?

I usually lift on an empty stomach, but mostly because I had a few bad experiences of almost throwing up if I ate pre-workout.

Any thoughts?
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Also, any other suggestions you have for HIT workouts would be awesome
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    I have started adding it in a couple times a week on the eliptical but it is so tough for me right now I end up wheezing and nauseous after 3 30-second intervals. I use the eliptical normally at 150 steps per minute and sprint at about 230-250steps for 30 seconds, then 90-120 second recovery and repeat. Once I get more consistent I will do more sprints. It definitely ups the game on my workout and I am positive it is a benefit if I don't kill myself in the process (my normal exercise is walking 3 hours a day)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member

Well, Phil Campbell, M.S., M.A., ACSM-CPT, FACHE, the guy who wrote the book, thinks it is. I'm not an expert like you, though, so I can't say if he's right or not.

not an expert either but I wonder if that 10 second hard then 90 second recovery is for total beginner or warm up?
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    I incorporated HIIT into my routine a few days a week because I was having alot of trouble getting on the treadmill and running/jogging at a steady pace for more than a couple minutes. It's helping my conditioning - I am finding more endurance in steady state running. Right now, I"m running at 7mph for 60 seconds, followed by a 90-120 second cool down walking at 4mph. I keep this up for 15-20 minutes after lifting for about 45 minutes. I enjoy it, so I'll keep it up.
  • Have you heard of Beachbody's Insanity workout?

that is basically HIIT but they call it Max Interval Training... has done wonders for many people, i LOVE it :) definately gets results and my cardio has improved 10 fold