MFP telling you that you didnt eat enough calories

Options
Today I came just 29 calories under my goal, which if i add in the bite of this the bite of that I had this afternoon with my girls I probably didnt, but when i finished logging my food it told me I wasn't eating enough calories and i am doing the opposite of what my body needs. WTF? when I was 75 calories under after being good all day with what i ate i didnt get this.
Can someone please explain? I have been at this a week and a day and starting to see/feel results. I dont want to go backwards. Advice please

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Today I came just 29 calories under my goal, which if i add in the bite of this the bite of that I had this afternoon with my girls I probably didnt, but when i finished logging my food it told me I wasn't eating enough calories and i am doing the opposite of what my body needs. WTF? when I was 75 calories under after being good all day with what i ate i didnt get this.
    Can someone please explain? I have been at this a week and a day and starting to see/feel results. I dont want to go backwards. Advice please

its hard to say without looking at your diary...but I believe logging under 1200 calories a day triggers this warning. If it really was only 29 calories, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    mfp goes by net calories. so if you are supposed to eat 1800 calories and you eat 1600 but burn 1000 during exercise, you've only only netted 600 calories
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    You probably make 100-200 calories worth of mistakes in calculating every day.

This is why I never "Complete Day" or whatever it's called. It's silly.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    mfp goes by net calories. so if you are supposed to eat 1800 calories and you eat 1600 but burn 1000 during exercise, you've only only netted 600 calories

This is what I had in mind too. So, the warning is that you could actually slow your metabolism down by lowering your caloric intake too much. I'm still ironing it out too! I get the message occasionally but never consecutively so I think we are still on the right track. I will be interested to hear more from the folks who have been using MFP longer though! Good luck with your fitness journey!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    HAHA, I was going to say, after reading the title, No one has ever told me, EVER, that I have not eaten enough calories! :blushing:
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It has always had this warning no matter how much I am under by... even 1 calorie. Who cares about the little warning if you know you have actually consumed more than your 1200 with the little bites here and there. Ignore it, if you're being honest with youself.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I got this message yesterday, I ignored it. I had a slow exercise day and was about on target w/food intake (about 50 under) It also *told* me I completed my goals for 11/02/12 when in fact it was for 11/01/12...it's a website, run by imperfect humans, it's bound to have some glitches.

If you have any doubt about the # of calories eaten or burned, check with a couple other sites, I do it all the time. If they don't agree, I average it UP. and my exercise DOWN.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    That warning always comes up if you're under 1200 calories. For some reason this site thinks that's the end of the world number for everyone.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It always says the warning if you are under 1200 calories. There was a day I was 1 calories under but it didn't both me. I read some where that we under estimate how much we eat by as much as 15%. Like you said a bite of this, a bite of that adds up.