Calorie burned - decreasing

Options
2»

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The stronger your heart and body gets, the more efficient your body is during workouts so you will see lower calories burned during a workout. BUT the more muscle you have, the higher you BMR so that you are burning MORE calories throughout the day as opposed to someone who has a higher BF%. They might burn more calories during a 30 minute workout, but the rest of the day they are burning less than someone with a lower BF%. Keep building that muscle!
  • aphid
    aphid Posts: 47
    Options
    if you've lost weight, you'll burn less calories because you burn more if you have more mass
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    The less you weigh, the less you burn in general. Can you add in something else? Maybe a 30 minute walk every day or every other day? If you move more, you will burn more, so don't necessarily have to quit a workout you love, but may need to shake other things up. And definitely don't eat less!

I lost my first 16 lbs. this time doing very little (gave up Cokes and started walking the dog up to 30 minutes per day), but then things stalled, so I added in some heavier workouts on the weekend (still just walking the dog during the week) and started counting calories. When that wasn't enough (lost 13 lbs. in just under 4 months), I added in weekday workouts (so that I was working out 6 days per week) and lost the last 12 lbs. over the next 4 months. The closer I was to goal, the more I had to do to maintain a 500 calorie deficit and keep losing.

How are you measuring what you burn? If you are confident that the burn is correct, just find another way to burn another 100-150 calories and you should keep losing.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Guys, it's not true that the more you weigh the more you burn. It's a lot more complicated than that.

It's a factor of muscle memory mixed with overall lean mass that really determines how much you burn (over and above BMR that is).

Two people could weigh the exact same weight, and they could burn 300 to 400 calories different amounts every day doing the exact same amount of activity.
    If one person weighed 180 lbs but had 10% body fat and the other weighed the same 180 but had 20% body fat that's one person with 18 lbs of fat and the other with 36 lbs of fat, that's a big difference in active metabolics. Now add in the exercise being done. If one person has been doing the exercise for 3 months 3 times a week and the other is doing the exercise for the first time, there can be a 2 or 300 calorie difference if it's a moderately hard exercise and is lasting say 45 minutes.

So you see, it's not about how much you weigh so much, it's about active metabolic tissue (lean mass) vs passive metabolic tissue (fat) and how efficient your muscles are at performing the activity.