Single Mom leaves no tip

Options

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I would not spend $138.00 going out to eat.

I knew someone who spent $239 one night for Korean BBQ. He was my manager at Burger King:noway:

I have spent a LOT more than that. I have spent $400 on 2 shots of scotch alone...(83 years old, NOT worth it). If you got money to spend on eating out, then you got money to spend on tipping. No excuses.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I can't understand the 'tip' thing at all. Is the waiter not getting paid at all to do the job? I don't get a 'tip' for cooking the family a meal. It's my job.

Its pretty much common knowledge that waitress make about $1-4 an hour from their employers...with the exception im sure but most of their income DOES come from tips. I have always operated under the assumption that If you cannot afford to tip at least %15 for a meal then there is probably a McD's across the street.

Your right and nowadays if your tips don't add up to minimum wage the employers have to pay you more to balance out your pay. I worked in a place that was always slow, (I quit btw) and would write you up if you didn't make enough. If service is slow then that is wrong. But Still everything comes from tips.

My niece worked as a waitress, and at a few places she lost money, because she has to pay a certain amount to the servers, no matter how much she is tipped. She is also a single mom. My son also buses tables. The waiters pay him a percentage of money from their tips.

It is very rude to tip less than 10% You are stealing from the waiter that served you if you do. If you can't afford to tip, go to fast food, or eat at home.

I had to quit one job because we were busy and still people would leave with nothing on the table. I wasn't making enough and was getting wrote up. i can't force ppl to leave money but it still is rude to not tip. I know how hard it can be to bust your *kitten* waiting on people. I am glad i was a waitress, now i know to tip. My friend refuses to tip and i keep telling her to do so because that is how they make money. Everytime we split the bill she leaves a dollar for OUTSTANDING service and I throw a five on the table on top of it. THey deserve it

why isn't there a food industry lobbyist for you guys. I mean this sincerely. I myself am just becoming educated on how servers get "paid' and from what I'm hearing from you guys, is sad. it sounds illegal for a server to make less than minimum wage, regardless of the tips. If it's not illegal, why hasn't anyone lobbied for a better wage?
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    i don't know if that person should be fired for putting it online, besides the signature, which does not tell you the persons name legibly. I'm not sure if that would be legal grounds to fire anyways.

I will tell you this, I've left completely different amounts of tips, for different reasons, NEVER because of a "personal" reason, like being a single guy that has to pay rent on his own, or some other b.s.

I've left tips that cost more than the meal, if the waiter/waitress did an awesome job and really made me feel good dining there. I've also left a quarter(25 cents), rather than leave nothing. I was taught if you leave nothing, it's possible they(waiter/waitress) might just think you "forgot' to leave a tip. I leave the quarter so they know I didn't forget, and i only do that with horrible service.

Sometimes I feel a lot of waiters/waitresses just flat out expect a decent tip, regardless of the service, as though they'd become so use to getting a tip regardless. Sorry sweetheart, you have to earn my tip, but if you do, you might be going home saying, ":some guy left me a tip that was bigger than his whole bill'. Same for the fella's, treat me right, and I'll tip you as good as that waitress, period.

side note: Why do as a society feel obligated to tip only at non fast food restaurants? I've never worked a day of fast food in my life, but could possibly agrue they work harder than waiters and waitresses, just my opinion.

In regards to the last sentence: I worked fast food in college (years ago) and we were paid minimum wage and not allowed to accept tips. If we were offered a tip we had to refuse it.
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I can't understand the 'tip' thing at all. Is the waiter not getting paid at all to do the job? I don't get a 'tip' for cooking the family a meal. It's my job.

Its pretty much common knowledge that waitress make about $1-4 an hour from their employers...with the exception im sure but most of their income DOES come from tips. I have always operated under the assumption that If you cannot afford to tip at least %15 for a meal then there is probably a McD's across the street.

Your right and nowadays if your tips don't add up to minimum wage the employers have to pay you more to balance out your pay. I worked in a place that was always slow, (I quit btw) and would write you up if you didn't make enough. If service is slow then that is wrong. But Still everything comes from tips.

My niece worked as a waitress, and at a few places she lost money, because she has to pay a certain amount to the servers, no matter how much she is tipped. She is also a single mom. My son also buses tables. The waiters pay him a percentage of money from their tips.

It is very rude to tip less than 10% You are stealing from the waiter that served you if you do. If you can't afford to tip, go to fast food, or eat at home.

I had to quit one job because we were busy and still people would leave with nothing on the table. I wasn't making enough and was getting wrote up. i can't force ppl to leave money but it still is rude to not tip. I know how hard it can be to bust your *kitten* waiting on people. I am glad i was a waitress, now i know to tip. My friend refuses to tip and i keep telling her to do so because that is how they make money. Everytime we split the bill she leaves a dollar for OUTSTANDING service and I throw a five on the table on top of it. THey deserve it

why isn't there a food industry lobbyist for you guys. I mean this sincerely. I myself am just becoming educated on how servers get "paid' and from what I'm hearing from you guys, is sad. it sounds illegal for a server to make less than minimum wage, regardless of the tips. If it's not illegal, why hasn't anyone lobbied for a better wage?

Which is why I work at a hotel now. My town is small and not alot of ppl have money. The only decent tips we get are from oilfields. The resturant has to make sure your tips plus what you get equal up to minimum wage. Thats the law there.
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    "In regards to the last sentence: I worked fast food in college (years ago) and we were paid minimum wage and not allowed to accept tips. If we were offered a tip we had to refuse it.'

Kudos to you for pursuing your education, and being humble enough to work a minimum wage job in fast food. I hope college paid off for you and you never work fast food again. (nothing against fast food workers, I use to eat there a lot)
  • iluvprettyshoes
    Options
    "In regards to the last sentence: I worked fast food in college (years ago) and we were paid minimum wage and not allowed to accept tips. If we were offered a tip we had to refuse it.'

Kudos to you for pursuing your education, and being humble enough to work a minimum wage job in fast food. I hope college paid off for you and you never work fast food again. (nothing against fast food workers, I use to eat there a lot)

Yes college did pay off very well, I graduated, got a job, etc :) thanks
    The fast food job was one of 3 that I had- and actually it wasn't the worst LOL
  • JosephVitte
    Options

So if I can ask, what was worse?????????????????
  • iluvprettyshoes
    Options

So if I can ask, what was worse?????????????????

The genetics lab at college- I took care of 1000's of cockroaches. Aren't you glad you asked? LOL
  • TabbathaAnne
    TabbathaAnne Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    $2.63 an hour in Mass is min wage for servers. I would have ****ing flipped my **** harddddcore and went all Worcester ghetto on her *kitten*!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    $2.63 an hour in Mass is min wage for servers. I would have ****ing flipped my **** harddddcore and went all Worcester ghetto on her *kitten*!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

:drinker: Lol same here.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have alway been a generous tipper because my wife was a waitress for almost 7 years. That would have been at least a $25-30 tip for exceptional service. People dont realize that tips make up about 85% of a servers income and on top of that they have to give a certain % to the bus boys.

I always tip well for good service. My entire family have been, or currently are involved in the restaurant business. Either working for, or owning their own restaurant. Infact,I'm the black sheep in a way, with having a career in IT.
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    "The genetics lab at college- I took care of 1000's of cockroaches. Aren't you glad you asked? LOL"

LOL, Geez, I sure am glad I asked, LOL. You should be honored to have that position bestowed upon you!

And how exactly did you take care of them? LOL
  • JosephVitte
    Options

Wow, this sad, the wages I mean.
  • Echo_Dan
    Echo_Dan Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I could never, ever , ever, get my head around this whole ' tipping ' culture you have there. why not pay restaurant staff a fair and reasonable salary so they aren't tip dependant for their income? that way, a tip would be a boost to their income and inspire higher levels of service, and not the ONLY means of their income.

In the UK, tipping is totally discretionally..you get great service, you give what you feel that service deserves...but the staff certainly do NOT make minimum wage, as is the case in North America...and the service levels are no where near CLOSE to the standards in north america.

The US tradition of leaving cute messages on the bill has also arrived in the UK, but the UK is NOT a service driven country and a waitress or a waiter in the UK dosn't understand that scribbling a little smiley face with 'thanks' next to their name on the bill is not their ticket to earn a tip...only great service should earn them a tip.

I feel bad for the OP for being denied an income...but if she was paid an equitable and fair salary to begin with, then she wouldn't have been denied her income.

Totally agree. Im in the UK and I know that waiters and waitresses get a low but decent enough wage. Its certainly not US levels of pay. I tip if the staff fulfill basic customer service standards. If they are polite, helpful, and informative they get a tip. If they act like they don't care at all then they get nothing. If they are exemplary they get a bigger tip than is the norm (5 to 10% in the UK) I've given a 20-25% tip in the past to a waitress who was super helpful and friendly and quickly sorted out problems.

Writing "Single mom, sorry" though is rather tacky.

$138 for a meal.........perhaps there's a lot of people all chipping in......maybe its the only time of the year she can afford to take her family out. Who knows /shrug
  • Echo_Dan
    Echo_Dan Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    On a side note in Europe, waitering is considered a career in several countries and they won't accept tips. They make a good wage and consider a tip to be a little bit insulting.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you can afford in one meal what I basically spent last month in groceries, then you should be ashamed of not leaving a tip.

:drinker:
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    I could never, ever , ever, get my head around this whole ' tipping ' culture you have there. why not pay restaurant staff a fair and reasonable salary so they aren't tip dependant for their income? that way, a tip would be a boost to their income and inspire higher levels of service, and not the ONLY means of their income.

In the UK, tipping is totally discretionally..you get great service, you give what you feel that service deserves...but the staff certainly do NOT make minimum wage, as is the case in North America...and the service levels are no where near CLOSE to the standards in north america.

The US tradition of leaving cute messages on the bill has also arrived in the UK, but the UK is NOT a service driven country and a waitress or a waiter in the UK dosn't understand that scribbling a little smiley face with 'thanks' next to their name on the bill is not their ticket to earn a tip...only great service should earn them a tip.

I feel bad for the OP for being denied an income...but if she was paid an equitable and fair salary to begin with, then she wouldn't have been denied her income.

Totally agree. Im in the UK and I know that waiters and waitresses get a low but decent enough wage. Its certainly not US levels of pay. I tip if the staff fulfill basic customer service standards. If they are polite, helpful, and informative they get a tip. If they act like they don't care at all then they get nothing. If they are exemplary they get a bigger tip than is the norm (5 to 10% in the UK) I've given a 20-25% tip in the past to a waitress who was super helpful and friendly and quickly sorted out problems.

$138 for a meal.........perhaps there's a lot of people all chipping in......maybe its the only time of the year she can afford to take her family out. Who knows /shrug
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    WHAT?! Remind me to never move because in California, you cannot get paid less than minimum wage ($8.00); which isn't a lot but it's a hell of a lot better than 2- 4 dollars!!!

I personally tip based on the service. If I get bad service, they get a bad tip. If it was good service, they get a good tip. The end. I know they work hard but people forget that tipping is not mandatory. Polite? Yes. Mandatory? No. Tips are to show your gratitude towards your server. If they did a horrible job, why should I show them any gratitude? lol

ANYWAY, in regards to the pic, obviously, this person was just being a troll. If a person can afford to spend THAT much on dinner, they can obviously afford to at least put in SOMETHING for the tip. No struggling, single Mom would go out to eat and spend over 100 dollars. lol
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    WHAT?! Remind me to never move because in California, you cannot get paid less than minimum wage ($8.00); which isn't a lot but it's a hell of a lot better than 2- 4 dollars!!!

I personally tip based on the service. If I get bad service, they get a bad tip. If it was good service, they get a good tip. The end. I know they work hard but people forget that tipping is not mandatory. Polite? Yes. Mandatory? No. Tips are to show your gratitude towards your server. If they did a horrible job, why should I show them any gratitude? lol

ANYWAY, in regards to the pic, obviously, this person was just being a troll. If a person can afford to spend THAT much on dinner, they can obviously afford to at least put in SOMETHING for the tip. No struggling, single Mom would go out to eat and spend over 100 dollars. lol

California here too, thats why I was wondering about this 1-4 dollar business. But for cali living, 8 an hour isn't much of anything, even if you work fulltime, although it's better than no job.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options

wow, totally agree! If it is actually pretty much compulsory, why not just have it automatically included and be done with it? If the tip is needed to give them enough wages, then the employer should be paying more! Somones right to a living wage and suitable remuneration for the work they do should not be at whim of customers, the boss should make sure their basic salary covers that. the prices must be being kept artificially low by the bosses failure to dothis, which they need to address.

Tipping should be a bonus, asan incentive to gie really great service. The way it is there sounds likeit isnot tipping at all, just another kitem on the bill to pay for. it's messed up!!
This discussion has been closed.