Single Mom leaves no tip

Options

Replies

• stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

side note: Why do as a society feel obligated to tip only at non fast food restaurants? I've never worked a day of fast food in my life, but could possibly agrue they work harder than waiters and waitresses, just my opinion.

Because the company is paying its employees minimum wage. I worked at a Burger King during High School and parts of college and it was a lot of work.

I work at McDonalds and some people do try to tip us, but we are not allowed to accept tips. Which bothers me, Tim Hortons is allowed though, a lot of people tip there....just usually the loose change from their toonie or something, but it adds up.

I've always been an over tipper. Especially if my server is really nice, I'll tip 25/30%. I always get great service on return trips to restaurants. People will remember you for that, haha.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    On a side note in Europe, waitering is considered a career in several countries and they won't accept tips. They make a good wage and consider a tip to be a little bit insulting.

Err not quite. Or this is a Europe I have not lived in for 20+ years.
    Tips or service fees are included in several countries as well as more reasonable salaries. One does not tip the owner of a restaurant usually for the reason above but even that has some flex. In France, we tip a little, but it's included basically. 5% is a nice additional tip. In Germany, my experience has been to round up a Euro or two is the reasonable expectation, with larger groups we'll add bit more. As I bussed as a teenager, I've always left tips across Europe (30+ countries) and have never been made to feel that I was insulting a waiter/waitress. One thing to avoid is leaving money ON the table in Germany, that could be considered insulting - one deals directly with the person providing you the service.
    Europeans that don't know better are perceived as stingy in America when they unfortunately leave no tip but the issue is the crap wage system for this service industry that basically slaves people to grovel at the table for tips - I'd rather have discrete and direct service with good food than the "perky, hovering every 5 min, bring you the check before I ask get you out quickly" service that I see in the US.
    And as Taunto, above says I've certainly spent more than that on a meal, anyone not leaving a tip in the US for some sorry-*kitten* excuse like that deserves a ladle full of urine in their soup.
    And service staff at higher end restaurants hopefully makes more than min wage.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Your tipping culture is strange.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    In Oregon everyone makes at least minimum wage and that's over $8.00 an hour. Which states are waitstaff only making $1 an hour?
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    should of got a 120.00 dollar meal and left a 18.00 tip or should of went to subway 26 times and got a 5 dollar foot long or should have but the money in gold to pay for childs college or i am guessing therapy for "mom" for why people dont respect her lol
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    Your tipping culture is strange.

it's the people that work these jobs that don't pressure upper management and start the chain reaction to lobby a better wage, like nearly every other industry.

edit: and then there talking about slapping people and pissing in there food if they don't tip, what an escalation due to a lack of getting a better paying job and or not speaking up for themselves and or the industry.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I don't tip unless there was something special about the service.
  • loliblullama
    loliblullama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I could never, ever , ever, get my head around this whole ' tipping ' culture you have there. why not pay restaurant staff a fair and reasonable salary so they aren't tip dependant for their income? that way, a tip would be a boost to their income and inspire higher levels of service, and not the ONLY means of their income.

In the UK, tipping is totally discretionally..you get great service, you give what you feel that service deserves...but the staff certainly do NOT make minimum wage, as is the case in North America...and the service levels are no where near CLOSE to the standards in north america.

The US tradition of leaving cute messages on the bill has also arrived in the UK, but the UK is NOT a service driven country and a waitress or a waiter in the UK dosn't understand that scribbling a little smiley face with 'thanks' next to their name on the bill is not their ticket to earn a tip...only great service should earn them a tip.

I feel bad for the OP for being denied an income...but if she was paid an equitable and fair salary to begin with, then she wouldn't have been denied her income.

tumblr_mcwtg4rbyg1r4df50.gif
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    In Oregon everyone makes at least minimum wage and that's over $8.00 an hour. Which states are waitstaff only making $1 an hour?

Oregon has a higher min. wage then Ca.? That's strange, good for Oregon though!

As well, I want to hear what states have a $1-4 min. wage like I've heard stated. Not denying the possibility, just want to know what states these are.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    A tip to me is a reward for an excellent job. Its not a requirement. Its not my fault you took a job that pays low and now you think b/c you did your job you deserve extra money.

I go to work everyday and no one gives me a TIP. On a side note, that's an awfully expensive dinner but that doesn't mean the waiter deserves a tip.
  • lqlucas81
    Options
    I actually work in the credit card dept for a bank and yes this recpt should have not been posted because it has the auth code and the type of card..I have merchs call in to release holds on credit cards an all they are needing is the auth code so YES this is a MAJOR security violation. And I am a single mother of three children and I ALWAYS tip. Yes the tip should always be included in your expenses when deciding to go out. Even when I received BAD service from a waiter I looked around and saw how hard another waiter was trying to waiting on my table and was not even my server, so I nicely handed her the tip. But we never know how the mother was treated either..I have had some very RUDE servers and if it wasn't for the fact that some places split the tips I would have not left a DIME...But NEVER use "I'm A Single Mother" as an excuse!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    A tip to me is a reward for an excellent job. Its not a requirement. Its not my fault you took a job that pays low and now you think b/c you did your job you deserve extra money.

I go to work everyday and no one gives me a TIP. On a side note, that's an awfully expensive dinner but that doesn't mean the waiter deserves a tip.

While this opinion will not be popular, I agree.
  • skygoddess86
    Options

As well, I want to hear what states have a $1-4 min. wage like I've heard stated. Not denying the possibility, just want to know what states these are.
    . $8.80 in Oregon right now.
  • JosephVitte
    Options

While this opinion will not be popular, I agree.

Agreed, although I tip handsomely for a job well done, no freebie's, get another job if you think your gonna be a d*** head or B*tch to me and get a decent tip, LMAO! get real!
  • katie070563
    Options
    My skeptical senses are tingling. I've seen this story around, but I'm having a hard time believing it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/single-mom-leaves-outrage_n_2051354.html

I'm inclined to disbelieve it too....the handwriting is rather different!!
  • JosephVitte
    Options

That's incredible. I am next to positive the cost of living is lower as well! Good for the waiters and waiteresses there, they don't have "stress out" about getting a tip or not, which probably makes there work easier, and in turn probably do a better job then stressed out servers.

How much is a gallon of gas up there. San Diego was $5 a gallon a month ago, but it's down to about 4 and some change right now.
  • katie070563
    Options
    I always leave a tip....unless the service is absolutely dreadful!
  • lqlucas81
    Options
  • katie070563
    Options
    I actually work in the credit card dept for a bank and yes this recpt should have not been posted because it has the auth code and the type of card..I have merchs call in to release holds on credit cards an all they are needing is the auth code so YES this is a MAJOR security violation. And I am a single mother of three children and I ALWAYS tip. Yes the tip should always be included in your expenses when deciding to go out. Even when I received BAD service from a waiter I looked around and saw how hard another waiter was trying to waiting on my table and was not even my server, so I nicely handed her the tip. But we never know how the mother was treated either..I have had some very RUDE servers and if it wasn't for the fact that some places split the tips I would have not left a DIME...But NEVER use "I'm A Single Mother" as an excuse!

Quite right about the security violation....it would be a breach of the Data Protection Act in the UK too!
    I admire single mums and dads........but not when its used as an excuse!
  • skygoddess86
    Options

That's incredible. I am next to positive the cost of living is lower as well! Good for the waiters and waiteresses there, they don't have "stress out" about getting a tip or not, which probably makes there work easier, and in turn probably do a better job then stressed out servers.

How much is a gallon of gas up there. San Diego was $5 a gallon a month ago, but it's down to about 4 and some change right now.
    It was $3.79 a couple days ago. Oregon is a pretty progressive state.
This discussion has been closed.