Is it possible to lose 12 pounds in a month ?

Options
Don't get me wrong: I know that this is possible, but I would like to know the best way to achieve it without feeling deprived or starving.

October was a lazy month for me, and I sucked hard at losing weight. If I want to reach my goal of being under 245 pounds for November 31st, I really need to kick butt (mine, at first) in November.

I am not ready to eat less then 1700 cals a day (for me, it's a minimum to be able to eat a variety of food, and if I'm eating less then 1500-1600, I feel seriously dizzy), but I am ready to work out hard, and harder if needed.

Any tips or advice to help me in this journey ?

(You can check my diary, but I was sick since friday so I hadn't log anything in the last two days, and I had a pretty messy week before that. Previously (October 25 and before), it's almost accurate, I tried to log everyday.).

Replies

• Biodemon
    Biodemon Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It actually depends on your weight. Those that are much much heavier tend to lose more weight than those that are under the 200 lb range. Otherwise, if you're under the 200 lb range, losing 12 lbs is unhealthy (you'd be losing muscle mass with it).
  • Jester522
    Options
    Sure. But its not a good idea.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    How about instead of focusing on a specific pound loss goal you focus on an eating/exercise goal to reach by November 30th?
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Tip: Stay focused and good results will happen.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong: I know that this is possible, but I would like to know the best way to achieve it without feeling deprived or starving.

October was a lazy month for me, and I sucked hard at losing weight. If I want to reach my goal of being under 245 pounds for November 31st, I really need to kick butt (mine, at first) in November.

I am not ready to eat less then 1700 cals a day (for me, it's a minimum to be able to eat a variety of food, and if I'm eating less then 1500-1600, I feel seriously dizzy), but I am ready to work out hard, and harder if needed.

(You can check my diary, but I was sick since friday so I hadn't log anything in the last two days. Previously, it's almost accurate, I tried to log everyday.).

go to India for 2 weeks, and eat where the locals eat. * guaranteed * to make you drop at LEAST 12lbs in a week
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yes but it's not healthy, It actually floods the Gaul bladder with toxins when a person loses weight too quickly, Slow and Steady wins the race!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My daughter got a personal trainer at Fitness Connection and lost 6 pounds in one week.She is working very hard and logging everything she eats so she is doing it right.She does not expect to lose this amount every week but yes it is possible!
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options

(You can check my diary, but I was sick since friday so I hadn't log anything in the last two days. Previously, it's almost accurate, I tried to log everyday.).

go to India for 2 weeks, and eat where the locals eat. * guaranteed * to make you drop at LEAST 12lbs in a week

Oh, sure ! How could I have not think to go to India before !
  • Fathima0712
    Fathima0712 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

i am from india..and no...you cant drop 12lbs eating what we eat...

and @DaivaSimone..its all bout burning calories..eat well...get ready to workout out 3-4 hours a day..and you can lose that much pounds..!!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Yes but it's not healthy, It actually floods the Gaul bladder with toxins when a person loses weight too quickly, Slow and Steady wins the race!

It's gallbladder and this has no scientific basis!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    If you can low carb for the month, you will lose that much, but a lot of it will be water weight. Cut out the processed carbs you eat and you should lose most of that. No guarantee it will stay off if you add them back in, tho. If you want something more permanent, not a great idea to lose that fast.
  • scpeach04
    scpeach04 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Focus on lifestyle changes... cut out that desert - replace a high calorie beverage with water... replace a few TV shows with some walking or a trip to the gym. Learn to move more and you'll realize that as you get into a routine you see steady progress. Maybe not 12# but more progress over time!

GOOD LUCK
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    What I read here in MFP is that people having more then 75 pounds to lose (which is still my case, as you can see in my ticker) could lose at a pace of 2 pounds a week safely. I normally try to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. I thought that if I increase this goal for a month only, I'll still be in a "safe" pace of weight loss because I normally go a little slower then needed.

I don't want to lose 12 pounds each month, it's like a one time goal to boost my confidence before Christmas and all the temptations coming with that.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    How about instead of focusing on a specific pound loss goal you focus on an eating/exercise goal to reach by November 30th?

Great advice from someone who is obviously doing something right.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    don't know why you'd want to. shocks your body to lose like this and it is unsustainable. you'll just gain it back. not nice to yourself at all. why don't you just say 12 pounds at a rate of 1-1.5 pounds a week? what's 12 weeks out of your life to do right by yourself.
  • djtulppo
    djtulppo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes its possible but not a very wise goal. We didn't gain this weight in a month and its not a good thing to lose it fast. If you don't reach that goal your setting yourself up for failure.

Focus more on changing your lifestyle. IE eating healthy, incorporating exercise in your diet. Taking your measurements along with your weight.

I spoke with my doctor about these issues and she convinced me to just try this instead of focusing on losing the weight so fast. The result is I don't feel like I am on a diet. I have changed my lifestyle by choosing healthy choices. Since Sept. 13 to today I have lost 12 lbs.

Just suggesting what works for me. Good luck.
  • DaivaSimone
    Options

Great advice from someone who is obviously doing something right.

You two are probably right. But I know that it's all my fault if I hadn't lose enough in October to reach my goal and I think I want to redeem myself by kicking out November. I only want to be "even" with my goal and then continue with my normal weight loss pace.

If I instead try to focus on a goal, what would it be ? I was slacking my exercise, so the first thing I want to do is starting again to exercise four to five days a week (this is what I was doing in August and September, and it works well).
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

It's gallbladder and this has no scientific basis!

I wouldn't call it toxins but, rapid weight loss (crash dieting) is one of the causes of gallstones. Your body will secrete extra cholesterol into the bile which causes the gallbladder not to be able to empty properly, thus forming gallstones.
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    If you can low carbs for the month, you will lose that much, but a lot of it will be water weight. Cut out the processed carbs you eat and you should lose most of that. No guarantee it will stay off if you add them back in, tho. If you want something more permanent, not a great idea to lose that fast.

Could you please define processed carbs ?

I try to eat mostly sprouted grains bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, quinoa, legumes and rice noodles (those are probably my baddest carbs).

I sometimes eat protein bars, crackers (mostly Mary's crackers, but sometimes things like Pretzel Crisps) and potato chips as a treat, and those will obviously be cut for this month. Those are the one you call processed carbs ?
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yeah you can but most of it will probably be just water weight.