Is it okay for some people to go under 1200 calories?

Options
I know the amount of calories you need depends on your size, and it is commonly said that a person needs at least 1200 calories a day just to have their body functioning normally. But I was wondering if the person is kinda small, can they have less?

I signed up for my fitness pal a while ago, and it put me on a calorie count of 1200 calories, but I've found it kinda hard to get to 1200 calories. Instead getting from 850-1000 calories per day, I've been doing fine! I was just wondering if that's's due to my height and weight, 5ft 1.5in and 127lbs. And if it's not healthy, why exactly?

Replies

• Jester522
    Options
    NO.

/thread
  • mmcd59
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator this is what you need to just do nothing.....
  • mmcd59
    Options
    actually.....that will keep you at your current weight......so anything less than that will lose you weight....

2. How to Lose Weight Safely

A safe rate of weight loss is ½ -1 pound per week. You’ll need to burn an extra 250 calories per day to lose ½ pound per week and 500 calories per day to lose 1 pound per week. A 140-pound person can burn approximately 330 calories by walking for 60 minutes at a pace of 4 miles per hour. Heavier people will burn more calories (performing the same activities) due to the increased effort it takes to move a heavier body. When trying to lose weight eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fiber and healthy (unsaturated) fats; also reduce your overall calorie and sugar intake.
    3. How to Lose 5 Pounds

To lose 5 pounds you will have to burn 17,500 calories. At a weight loss rate of ½ - 1 pound per week it should take you approximately 5 – 10 weeks to lose 5 pounds. Since losing those last 5 pounds always seems to be difficult, try changing up your workout routine (cross train) and reduce your sugar intake.
    4. How to Lose 10 Pounds

To lose 10 pounds you’ll need to burn an extra 35,000 calories. A 10-pound weight loss should take you about 10 -20 weeks. Continue to incorporate regular physical activity and healthy eating into your weight loss program.
    5. How to Lose 20 Pounds

You’ll need to burn an extra 70,000 calories to lose 20 pounds; depending on your starting weight it may take you 20 weeks or more to lose the weight. Set short-term goals and keep food and weight diaries to help you track your progress.
    6. How to Lose 50 Pounds

A 50-pound weight loss requires you to burn an extra 175,000 calories and will likely take you 50 weeks or longer. This may seem challenging; start with short-term goals (weekly or monthly goals), track your progress, and reward your successes along the way. Remember after you lose up to 10 percent of your initial body weight, maintain the new weight for at least 6 months before attempting another weight loss
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Are you HONESTLY not hungry for more or are you just telling yourself you're not?

If you truly don't believe you're setting yourself up for failure then I think it's fine to continue. I aim for a 1200 NET per day (which means I can eat up to 1500 on days I workout, which is almost every day), but some days I only hit 800. I feel fine but then again, I'm only 5'2 and 120.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    no.
  • mls4455
    Options
    I try to eat around 1200, a lot of times I'm under but only by 50-100 calories.
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Wait. How is it hard to eat 1200 calories? Are you saying that you are absolutely stuffed full, or is it a mental thing where you think 1200 is too many or that less is best?

If you're not able to come up with 1200, which is what your body actually needs, you simply add healthy fats like raw nuts, avocado, olive oil, etc. If you consistently eat less than the 1200, you're setting you're body up to hold on to fat because it thinks it's starving.
  • jewel1013
    jewel1013 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    NO! You will sabotage your metabolism. There are many articles out there why it is unsafe to go under 1200 calories. Nutrients being one of them.

One thing to remember it really isn't daily, it is weekly. If you eat less than 8400 calories a week your body will hold onto fat for survival. I would be curious to know what a typical day looks like for you that you are able to keep calories under 1200 and how long have you been doing that. I have eating disorder issues and use to really control what I put in my mouth and told myself I wasn't hungry. I believe it set me up for binging later in life.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Duck and cover!!
  • athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    Options
    Not without a doctor's supervision.
  • loliblullama
    loliblullama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    fallout-shelter-5.jpg
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    Oh no you didn't!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    fallout-shelter-5.jpg

You are my hero.

I hate these posts because it always cries for a need for a fallout shelter lol

To the OP, generally it is not a good idea. This question is best asked of a licensed nutritionist though for your individual needs. If you cannot afford one, then I wouldn't recommend eating below it for health reasons.

If you are having trouble getting calories, up your protein and healthy fats. Generally these foods will be a little higher in calories and still good to eat. Good luck!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I know the amount of calories you need depends on your size, and it is commonly said that a person needs at least 1200 calories a day just to have their body functioning normally. But I was wondering if the person is kinda small, can they have less?

I signed up for my fitness pal a while ago, and it put me on a calorie count of 1200 calories, but I've found it kinda hard to get to 1200 calories. Instead getting from 850-1000 calories per day, I've been doing fine! I was just wondering if that's's due to my height and weight, 5ft 1.5in and 127lbs. And if it's not healthy, why exactly?

I am your height. You are very close to your goal so you don't need to eat that low (below 1200). I was able to eat under 1200 while under my doctors care because my RMR is low AND I had significant fat to lose, AND I don't have ED, AND I simply was able to reduce the stress in my life and set up an environment for success .

Your RMR will be low compared to taller people and may or may not be lower than mine. I am older so mine could be lower, but I've been lifting for over 30 years so my LBM is a couple pounds more than most females my height (mostly from bone density), but it' not really significant for weight loss until you get leaner. The only way to truly know your RMR is to go to a lab to have it tested. I had a DXA scan and I feel the RMR it gave me is fairly accurate 1380.

Here is why you don't want to eat so low now, but could have when you had significant fat to lose.

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

Always check with your doctor.

. What you need to eat for a deficit is relative to your RMR. If you are short you really don't have much room for up compared to the 1200. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit (way above 1200) so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit.

To tell everyone eat more is wrong.

To tell everyone to eat less is wrong.

To find the exact amount of calories for you to be in a sustainable calorie deficit is correct. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others. Some people have emotional eating disorders and it comes into play. Even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such and everyone is different.

Since you are close to your goal your weight loss needs to be a slower shallower deficit, that is just how it is when you don't have significant fat on your body anymore. You just have a little more to lose and it needs to come of slowly, nice and easy and consistent.
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I slept almost the entire day after breakfast and then after I woke up and had dinner my total comes to about 900
    and I really dunno what to do . . .

Sometimes I end up with 1100 or 1000 and I wonder what i should do to reach 1200
    I think you should atleast try to get upto 1200 calories
    Although we might not feel hungry our body needs those calories for maintaining bodily functions
    So I keep bananas or some fruits handy . .
    :flowerforyou:
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options

It depends. This is a list of why someone would reasonably have less than 1,200 calories per day:

1. You would need to speak to your doctor and have a BMR or RMR tests and have results under 1200 calories. You must eat your BMR/RMR and then some.

2. You would need to have had a gastric bypass (which I assume you didn't) and be monitored by a doctor.

3. You would need to have some other medical reason for eating a low calorie diet and have it be monitored by your doctor.

I see no other good reason to eat under 1,200 calories per day unless you gain weight at 1,200 or 1,300 calories. If you do, then you also should find out (from your doctor :]) why your metabolism is running so slowly. Otherwise, you could really damage your system if you are eating below your BMR, which you very way could be doing at the moment.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    AJhc1.gif
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    AJhc1.gif

seriously.
This discussion has been closed.