Is it okay for some people to go under 1200 calories?

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I can't believe human bodies can work in that linear a fashion that there is an absolute cut-off as so many believe.

I suspect it's merely a figure plucked out of the air to ensure this website doesn't get sued, etc.

However that being said, it certainly can't hurt to consult a doctor first. Then you can always sue the doctor instead! :P
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm with you not everyone is the same, Some one thats 5.1 is going to require a lot less than someone thats 5.8, it also has to do alot with age and activity level, the more you burn the more you require or the more you vegitate the less you require.
  • FairyTerri
    Options
    I am small as well and decided to go under the 1200 calories because that is the only way I can loose weight. I do eat clean and very healthy so I am not worried about it. Even when I used to do weight watchers I had to go under the calorie count they wanted me to hit to loose weight. So I am with you and going to try for 1100 per day to see how that effects my weight loss.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I know the amount of calories you need depends on your size, and it is commonly said that a person needs at least 1200 calories a day just to have their body functioning normally. But I was wondering if the person is kinda small, can they have less?

I signed up for my fitness pal a while ago, and it put me on a calorie count of 1200 calories, but I've found it kinda hard to get to 1200 calories. Instead getting from 850-1000 calories per day, I've been doing fine! I was just wondering if that's's due to my height and weight, 5ft 1.5in and 127lbs. And if it's not healthy, why exactly?

I am your height. You are very close to your goal so you don't need to eat that low (below 1200). I was able to eat under 1200 while under my doctors care because my RMR is low AND I had significant fat to lose, AND I don't have ED, AND I simply was able to reduce the stress in my life and set up an environment for success .

Your RMR will be low compared to taller people and may or may not be lower than mine. I am older so mine could be lower, but I've been lifting for over 30 years so my LBM is a couple pounds more than most females my height (mostly from bone density), but it' not really significant for weight loss until you get leaner. The only way to truly know your RMR is to go to a lab to have it tested. I had a DXA scan and I feel the RMR it gave me is fairly accurate 1380.

Here is why you don't want to eat so low now, but could have when you had significant fat to lose.

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

Always check with your doctor.

. What you need to eat for a deficit is relative to your RMR. If you are short you really don't have much room for up compared to the 1200. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit (way above 1200) so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit.

To tell everyone eat more is wrong.

To tell everyone to eat less is wrong.

To find the exact amount of calories for you to be in a sustainable calorie deficit is correct. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others. Some people have emotional eating disorders and it comes into play. Even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such and everyone is different.

Since you are close to your goal your weight loss needs to be a slower shallower deficit, that is just how it is when you don't have significant fat on your body anymore. You just have a little more to lose and it needs to come of slowly, nice and easy and consistent.

I really dont like it when you post the stuff about eating really low when you have significant fat to lose.
    Most people here will be way more successful and most likely to STICK with it if they can EAT....and they CAN and still have excellent results.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Yes, but not many. I'm 5'8" and 116lbs so I'm already fairly small AND I have medical issues that cause me to require less food. Before anyone jumps on me and tells me I'm crazy/anorexic/whatever, my doctor is aware of how much I eat and exercise but she's also aware of my medical issues. Most people should not go under 1,200kcal/day.
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't think that anybody should go under 1200 unless advised by a doctor. If you notice on label when they give you the information about % of daily vitamin, mineral, etc., they base it on 2,000 calories a day. So in order to get the right nutrition for your body to function good, you need to eat your vitamins and mineral, etc. through your food. Does that make sense? I hope so. Your body does alot (organs, etc.)so it needs energy to function right.
  • aubreykkkk
    aubreykkkk Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! 1200 is not the magic number for everyone because everyone is obviously different. I'm very small, so my bmr is lower than 1200. That means that I would gain eating 1200! So, it really doesn't make sense to have that minimum for everyone!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    i am 5'5" and currently 200.0 pounds and im set for 1200, but dont eat that. Just as some of you over eat, some of us under eat...

There is NO WAY I could eat 2000 calories. the ONLY time i go over in calories is when i drink beer, and I do that every Saturday.

I am supervised by my doctor, and he says as long as its not less than 750-800 its fine, and i do NOT eat my exercise calories back UNLESS I AM HUNGRY...

I cannot see shoving food down my throat "just because". I listen to my body. When i am hungry, i eat. Not because im bored, or because someone says i should. When i am not, i dont.

Do what is best for you. Dont let yourself get weak, certaintly dont get dehydrated (i drink half to one gallon of water per day) and make sure you are getting a variety of foods.. i use portion control and allow myself to lag on weekends more... I lose consistantly, and evenly and have over the last 120 days.

This is your journey, so some may say NO and some may say YES and some may try to shove down your throat THEIR WAY.. but ultimately, its your decision. As long as you are having your blood work done, and your doctors says you are healthy.. then keep doing what works for you. There is NO WAY I could eat that much...

and for those who say.. (ive seen this..) lets face it, you didnt get overweight by NOT eating less than 1200 calories.. YES, i did. I went from being very active to bed-ridden from strokes at the age of 24 years old.. so it CAN happen.
  • jewel1013
    jewel1013 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Really shocked at the comments and lack of knowledge about nutrition and the body on here. That is why asking a question on this forum is not the best. My guess is you will believe the one that aligns with what you want to believe. I think the best advice - consult a doctor or nutritionist. Learn more from experts not forums - way too variable. The human body is not a one size fits all, but when it comes to health. I would say ideally everyone should get to a place where they are listening to their body not tracking calories. I include myself in that. It is my goal to get there, but lost track of my body and its needs by constantly watching calories and then not. Again, ask the experts!

ANd those trying to lose weight by eating under 1200 my money is you gain back at some point.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and I eat my TDEE less 20% which is 1056 calories a day. It works for me.
  • TheFairyJester
    Options
    fallout-shelter-5.jpg

You are my hero.

I hate these posts because it always cries for a need for a fallout shelter lol

To the OP, generally it is not a good idea. This question is best asked of a licensed nutritionist though for your individual needs. If you cannot afford one, then I wouldn't recommend eating below it for health reasons.

If you are having trouble getting calories, up your protein and healthy fats. Generally these foods will be a little higher in calories and still good to eat. Good luck!

oh why bother with a licensed nutritionist when you have all these internet experts.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Really shocked at the comments and lack of knowledge about nutrition and the body on here................

ANd those trying to lose weight by eating under 1200 my money is you gain back at some point.

THIS is coming from someone who just said they binge ate yesterday and hasnt lost a single pound? You have a LOT of room here to talk.
  • rydersgrammy1
    Options
    I'm 5'4 1/2"....I vary between 1100 & 1200.... I will eat at 1200 to maintain, but if I start gaining, I just go back to 1100....My Doctor approves of this...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm glad that's cleared up!
  • tamba01
    Options
    I posted earlier about this...but I did want all the people that responded that were upset about her coming her to get advice, she is 18 yrs old and trying to figure this out. At 18 I didnt know much about nutrition., so let's help her and not criticize her for asking. Just my opinion.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Are you HONESTLY not hungry for more or are you just telling yourself you're not?

If you truly don't believe you're setting yourself up for failure then I think it's fine to continue. I aim for a 1200 NET per day (which means I can eat up to 1500 on days I workout, which is almost every day), but some days I only hit 800. I feel fine but then again, I'm only 5'2 and 120.
    I am a lot bigger, 5'4" and 165lbs and even I don't get hungry at all some days :/
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    ~OP asks about 1200 calories on a MFP forum~

~World War III commences.~
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is 5' tall, 39 years old, currently about 115 pounds, is hyper-vigilant about nutrition, and has had weight loss surgery a few years ago, so her stomach is about the size of a walnut.. and she eats over 1200 a day.

She can't eat too much in one sitting without food literally coming out her NOSE, and she still manages to eat a decent amount of food. So I'm not quite buying the "I can't possibly eat more than 1200 calories" mentality.
  • tamba01
    Options
    A friend of mine is 5' tall, 39 years old, currently about 115 pounds, is hyper-vigilant about nutrition, and has had weight loss surgery a few years ago, so her stomach is about the size of a walnut.. and she eats over 1200 a day. She can't eat too much in one sitting without food literally coming out her NOSE,

But after awhile doesn't the stomach stretch back out ?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is 5' tall, 39 years old, currently about 115 pounds, is hyper-vigilant about nutrition, and has had weight loss surgery a few years ago, so her stomach is about the size of a walnut.. and she eats over 1200 a day. She can't eat too much in one sitting without food literally coming out her NOSE,

But after awhile doesn't the stomach stretch back out ?

Can't have stretched out that much if she gets food coming out her nose when she eats too much at once. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.