Tell me again why I should NOT have gastric bypass surgery

Options

Replies

• dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm a little over three months post-op and I am doing amazing. BUT...

1.The surgery was my last resort after trying unsuccessfully for years to get my eating and weight under control to know avail.

2. I spent almost two years in the gym 5-6 days a week BEFORE my surgery to make sure I could make the necessary changes in my fitness routine.

3. Had several health issues that were getting worse and wanted them handled before they got out of hand.

So having said the above and there are more reasons but I won't turn this into a novel (LOL) and meeting with an amazing team of health professionals I realized that the gastric bypass was the tool I needed to get control of things.

The key is this: surgery is an amazing tool but this is NOT an easy way to weight loss. True the weight comes off rapidly but it can go back on rapidly too if you aren't committed to the lifestyle changes!

Best of luck with your decision, don't take ti lightly!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    If you don't actually need surgery, why get it? I know someone who had some WLS and has to eat the tiniest amount of food in a day to keep the weight from coming back, it's beyond ridiculous.

Listen to the advice of others here, and stop giving up on yourself! You can have your cake and eat it too, just eat a little less of it when you do. Track your food religiously, and you can see what is going on. It's really easier done than said, I've found. I used to think it'd be so hard to count calories, watch what I eat, and work out, but after a while, it's fast and easy (the tracking part, at least).

You can do it - in fact, you will have to do it regardless of if you get WLS, so why not just truly commit and give it a real shot?

Look, I've purposely eaten 30 small bags of Lays Wavy Original potato chips (and a pizza) in the last 24 hours... Yet, I DON'T feel like a failure because of it. Chips happen. It won't derail me, and it won't undo all of my progress. Back on the horse tomorrow, no guilt.
  • SaraJanePOWER
    SaraJanePOWER Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am not offended at all- matter of fact I appreciate the reality check. I watched the vid and will continue with the others when I need a little tuff love
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    "Then "cake happens?" 2 Snickers bars are happening for me right now, so what?

Focus on calories, you're focusing on things that really don't matter. Weight loss is a psychological game. You get frustrated, upset, feel like a failure, you lose. Keep your head on straight. Pick your self up like nothing happens and continue. Many of us have tried to lose weight many times. We have failed many many times, yet eventually we learn from our mistakes, we learn what's works for us and we become successful.

Weight loss surgery won't work for you. You know why? It doesn't cure the true issue to weight loss/gain. It's psychological not physical. Lets say you get your surgery, and cake comes around, what will happen? You're going to magically pass it up? Doubt it. You'll eat it, probably feel worse, and start a downward spiral back to being over weight.

Focus on "IMPROVING" your diet, doesn't mean change it. Maybe eat 50% good, and 50% what you usually eat. Learn to cook things you like but a low calorie version. After you have your diet about 50% good, then eat good a bit more, maybe 60% and so on. This doesn't happen over night. Weight loss is about habits, it takes time forum habits.

Sometimes people ask me "What did you do to lose your weight?" My reply is, "I didn't quit." There is no secret, just patience, and learning from your mistakes, take your time. Weight loss is a skill, the more you practice it the better you get. So put your time in and practice a lot so you get good.

I second this.Ultimately it needs to be your own decision, but since you asked on a forum be prepared to get some feedback. Which I'm sure is what you wanted anyway. In my own opinion, I have seen so many people on this site lose massive amounts of weight on their own and you really CAN do it on your own, it'll just take discipline and hard work. Today I ate crappy food, everyone messes up, it's apart of trying to change your behavior. Just because I had one crappy day, or two in a row, doesn't mean I'm going to give up, doesn't mean that the 10-15 pounds I've lost mean nothing. You are human, you're going to mess up occasionally. But to just take that risk of surgery when you can by yourself change up your eating habits and light exercise starting out just seems that an needed risk to me. Hope you let us know what you decide on.
  • SaraJanePOWER
    Options
    I can tell that this is going to be a long 5.5 months(mayber more realistic to look at this as a lifetime change) of learning and making mistakes. I feel that It is important for me to continue on the process toward surgery because I will learn while I am doing it, but in my heart of hearts I just want to take responsibility and make the changes that I need to make. Learn what it is that I need to learn about my self and then hopefully I can make the decision that will support my intentions for a healthy life... At this moment knowing what I know about the surgery and what it does to the body with malabsorbtion and side affects. I want with all of my being to be successfull on my own with out the surgery. I know that I am not yet too far gone despite my BMI but there is no waiting anylonger this is my life here and like Ed said ... I choose it. Let me choose it continuously and be willing to forget about perfection when it comes to this process... I'll be perfect when I am dead and gone to Heaven. Here and now I have to get serious because I have a better life to live ... I am lucky to be where I am and have these choices.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    For me- and this might not be the case for anyone else- I would only have wls if I really had an obstacle that would prevent me from losing the weight nataurally. My future FIL is about 500lbs and mobilty has become an issue. He can't exercise so I can understand that wls might be a good option for him or someone in his condition. His weight is life threatening and he's been in the hospital several times in the last year with issues that stem from his obesity.
    As for me, I am able to exercise and I feel that has been the key for me. I am not just losing fat but gaining muscle and getting fit. I am doing things I never thought I could do. And I love my results. Thanks to lots of cardio as well as strength training I am losing without any loose skin so far. As I get closer to my goal skin might be an issue but since I'm losing it slowly and mostly through fitness, I expect it'll be better than losing too fast and without exercise. I also think I'll be more likely to keep it off. Instead of waiting until I'm thinner to start living the active lifestyle of a fit person, I've adopted that lifestyle now to achieve those results.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Why? Because you don't need it. Stick to it, don't give up & be strong. You do NOT need it....nobody needs it. In fact that is a cheats way around it & you learn nothing from it.

I have 2 friends who had it done.... both still eat the same crap they did before.... one almost died having it done...the other throws up when he eats.

I've lost more weight & done it faster than they both have. In fact both stalled at a still large size & do not do any kind of exercise at all.

Getting it done will mean you eat less yes.... but you don't learn how to eat properly, and have no need to exercise. It's not a winning situation. Do it like everyone else should..... without surgery. Use your willpower..... everyone has enough to do it...some just choose to not listen to it.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    you need to change your behavior/mind set to loose weight old fashioned way like calorie deficit and exercise.. or surgery.. i had a friend who had gastric band with plication.. she was 50+ pounds more then me .. few mo back.. around the time i started mfp.. she was told she couldnt have sugars etc.. she was so sugar crazy that she went to take her vitamins (gummy chewables) and ATE THE WHOLE JAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 500 calories in gummy vitamins.. my God.. if that isnt lack of control! and this is AFTER a SURGERY... so it really does begin with the MIND.. and trickles down to the body.. i myself pray for strenth a lot and to go do God for emotional help NOT food.. an overwt body is a hurting soul/spirit.. how i see it.. and i know my body is a temple and i should treat it that way and not like a trash can!... there are many complications with surgery too..
    so back tomy friend.. i started mfp around the same time she had surgery.. and i being 50 #'s less and NOT having my stomach SEWN in half and a also a band in it.. lost wt faster then her! yes.. she couldnt believe it.. she is struggling.. and the surgery also cost her 15 GRAND of her own $$ and she still isnt doing well.. shes fighting it... eating till her 'band' hurts.. and all of that.. its sad.. but i dont judge.. cuz i was debating gastric band/sleeve myself.. but man oh man i love food and i'd rather learn w/out surgery how to manage and willpower to do portions and keep loosin this weigh and inches and not go as extreme as surgery...
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    oh you guys, Im sorry. I went about this the wrong way. The reason that I am even here is because I am seeing a Surgeon and as recommended following thru with my 6 mo. dietician visits befor surgery and I get so super motivated and think maybe just maybe I really can do this thing on my own with out the help of a surgical tool then all of a sudden my motivation wanes. Cake happens and I am lost in a downward spiral --- feeling a failure. That indeed I can not do this on my own. I think maybe I am better asking for help in staying motivated. ... I did not intend on offending anyone... I have already done the psyc. eval and the Dr. are all in approval of surgery for me - they say I am in a good place in my life to proceed..... really??? I think I am mess and rather week when it comes to my resolve.

Ok Dear so here's the deal. I'm 27. I have tried to lose weight on and off since I was 12. I never did it. I'd do it for a week, two weeks and fall of the band wagon because I wasn't ready. Not ready to commit, not ready to face the reasons why I was eating like crazy just NOT ready. You have to be ready. Weight loss surgery won't change your readiness.

I do NOT believe that weight loss surgery is an easy way out. I believe it's a way to attempt to take charge of your health. It will not solve your weight problems but its a very good aide. One of my good friends got LapBand and she has to monitor everything she eats. She can still gain weight if she eats poorly. My ex mother and father in law got gastric bipass, have lost an incredible amount of weight and if they have a bad week they gain. There IS NO easy way out.

If you don't want the surgery than don't get it. If you want to try diet and exercise then do it but really DO IT. Don't not get the surgery and die from a heart attack in 10 years because you did nothing. Whatever decision you choose will be good for you and your health in the long run. You've got this but unfortunately motivation has to come from within. Support? We've got that. Motivation? That's all you.

extremely well said!!!!
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I think surgery is the wrong answer for weight loss. I know a few people that had it and ALL gained it back except one. I think you need to train your mind and body to make healthy choices. What is the surgery going to do for you? You don't learn to change your eating habits so you gain it back.

I hope I did not offend anyone that had surgery and If I did I am sorry.
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    The way I see it is weight loss with or without surgery is 90% mental. If your head is not in the right place with or without surgery the weight loss battle, as I like to call it, will be a problem. For me if my head is not in the right frame of mind I will eat out of boredom, depression, loneliness, etc. )

I would say it is partly mental and also physical.
    My dad is 6'4 and weighed about 360lbs. He had surgery about 10 years ago, and lost 130lbs. Then he started increasing calories (slowly but he did end up at his"normal"), had a beer at saturday night, had dessert (he ate almost everything without having problems), fast food etc. So about 3 years after surgery he was exactly where he started..
    Now a decade has past, my dad is still/again obese, and luckily he doesnt have problems with diabetis, high blood pressure or anything else.. But we all know that he lives an extremely unhealthy lifestyle and hope nothing bad happens..

So, it may work for a lot foralot of people, but everybody is different and some people (like my dad) may not be willing to change their lives..

If you decide for surgery I wish you all the best and hope you have great results!
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It's a decision you have to make for yourself. And you need to research everything you can get your hands on about it so you can make a truly informed decision.
    I wanted the surgery for a long time, but I'm terrified of surgery (haven't had one yet) so I never did. I saw my aunt's success with WLS and that made me think I wanted it again, but a few years down the road her body is shutting down on her, she has to get iron transfusions every 2-3 weeks, she is in pain all the time, and the doctors are telling her it's normal with the surgery, but they didn't tell her about this side effect beforehand and she didn't do any more research than reading the pamphlets they provided so it wasn't an informed decision.
    I didn't say that to try to talk you out of it... I know several people who've had the surgery, most with great results, 1 with bad results, and another with near life-ending results. Informed decision.... can't say it enough.
    Personally, if I were healthy in every way but my weight, I wouldn't even consider the surgery. If you're not on the brink of a bad health precipice you have time to struggle through the slow way. The surgery won't teach you good eating habits, you'll still have to learn those or risk gaining back all of the weight, so if I were to make a recommendation to you, it would be work on your eating habits. If you have a bad food day, come back from it. We all struggle, make mistakes, slide backwards sometimes, you just have to push through it.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options

Focus on calories, you're focusing on things that really don't matter. Weight loss is a psychological game. You get frustrated, upset, feel like a failure, you lose. Keep your head on straight. Pick your self up like nothing happens and continue. Many of us have tried to lose weight many times. We have failed many many times, yet eventually we learn from our mistakes, we learn what's works for us and we become successful.

Weight loss surgery won't work for you. You know why? It doesn't cure the true issue to weight loss/gain. It's psychological not physical. Lets say you get your surgery, and cake comes around, what will happen? You're going to magically pass it up? Doubt it. You'll eat it, probably feel worse, and start a downward spiral back to being over weight.

Focus on "IMPROVING" your diet, doesn't mean change it. Maybe eat 50% good, and 50% what you usually eat. Learn to cook things you like but a low calorie version. After you have your diet about 50% good, then eat good a bit more, maybe 60% and so on. This doesn't happen over night. Weight loss is about habits, it takes time forum habits.

Sometimes people ask me "What did you do to lose your weight?" My reply is, "I didn't quit." There is no secret, just patience, and learning from your mistakes, take your time. Weight loss is a skill, the more you practice it the better you get. So put your time in and practice a lot so you get good.

See guys, the AMAZING thing about WLS is that you can still have a piece of cake ... but just a couple of bites and you are full and maybe, just maybe you will 'dump'. Dumping is a sideffect of eating sweets after having your internal plumbing rerouted - sugars hit, insulin is released, you spiral and end up on a couch passed out somewhere sleeping off a sugar high. It creates a definite adversion to eating any new sweets, limits your starches.

It's all about limits ... you feel like you are stuff with just a few little bites and youn don't want anymore food!!!! A few bites and you get up and feel like you just ate a turkey Thanksgiviing dinner!! The gastric bypass tool is Awesome!!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

See guys, the AMAZING thing about WLS is that you can still have a piece of cake ... but just a couple of bites and you are full and maybe, just maybe you will 'dump'. Dumping is a sideffect of eating sweets after having your internal plumbing rerouted - sugars hit, insulin is released, you spiral and end up on a couch passed out somewhere sleeping off a sugar high. It creates a definite adversion to eating any new sweets, limits your starches.

It's all about limits ... you feel like you are stuff with just a few little bites and youn don't want anymore food!!!! A few bites and you get up and feel like you just ate a turkey Thanksgiviing dinner!! The gastric bypass tool is Awesome!!

And then what happens when you have not had enough food to sustain your body? A few bites of something is very very low in calories & so not good for your body in the end. Also what happens when you get the band taken off? You go back to your habits that got you there in the 1st place.... cause you have learnt nothing about eating right cause you just think a few bites & I'm full.......

nope not amazing at all. Give me a FULL meal that really does fill me up & sustain me any day over a few bites
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    But I am healthy - no co-morbidities Yet.

I don't think it's worth it! If you don't have any major obesity-caused illnesses at the moment, then don't get WLS! It's MAJOR SURGERY and comes with a host of risks and side effects. Diet changes and exercise - that's the way to go.

I don't doubt that your consultants and doctors will say you are ok for the surgery, after all they are getting another customer. But if you are otherwise healthy you should not be getting unnecessary surgery. Take the money you would've spent and get a personal trainer to start you off exercising. If you don't get on with him/her, hire someone else until you get someone you click with. If you are going to throw thousands of pounds into losing weight, this is what I would recommend.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options

And then what happens when you have not had enough food to sustain your body? A few bites of something is very very low in calories & so not good for your body in the end. Also what happens when you get the band taken off? You go back to your habits that got you there in the 1st place.... cause you have learnt nothing about eating right cause you just think a few bites & I'm full.......

nope not amazing at all. Give me a FULL meal that really does fill me up & sustain me any day over a few bites

Before I had my gastric bypass I was on the verge of beginning insulin for type II diabetes, cholesterol and triglycerides were off the charts and had severe arthritis in one knee and in my lower back. Today, along with the low-carb and low-cal diet, my insulin levels are normal, cholesterol and triglycerides are perfect, the arthritis in my knee and my back only act up when I work out too much (before it was all day every day and I took meds all the time). BTW, I didn't have a 'band', I had a gastric bypass and 11 years later it's still here and I am now using my tool properly. I can, unfortunately, attest to the fact that you can definitely eat around the tool and not keep the weight off that you lose, as I gained back 50 of the 117 pounds lost. My point is that, for the first time in my life, I felt SATIATED with just a few bites of anything ... be it cake, steak, whatever. I think it was the first time I could remember ever being truly FULL and happy ... and all it took was a few bites ... of course you graze during the day and don't eat all of your meals at one time so you do get enough food to maintain your body. People with normal sized stomachs always ask me doesn't it bother me that I can never eat an entire steak again (at a sitting)? I just tell them no way, cut it into three pieces (according to the cut), doggie bag it and I eat it for three meals. I have now re-lost that weight and back on the way to my original goal weight. And yes, it is amazing to have this wonderful tool still in my body helping me!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    The problem is that for it to work afterwards and for you to keep the weight off, you need to be in the frame of mind to change your lifestyle. But if you were in that frame of mind then you wouldn't need the band in the first place.

You can lose the weight just as quickly by changing your eating habits so basically it is a band aid over the real problem which is in your head. If you really can't resist eating cake then all that will happen is either you'll get thinner, then as soon as they take it off yo'll get fat again, or you'll just manage to keep eating anyway and not even lose the weight at all.

There are so many people on here who have lost masses of fat by eating appropriately. Step one is getting your head right.
  • SaraJanePOWER
    Options
    indeed I am healthy according to an extensive blood work up and physical including ekg.
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the surgery. Learning how to eat, meaning what to eat and how much of it and putting yourself first so that you do it is something you need to do. The surgery will take a lot of weight off of you, but it's not something you that will teach you how to eat properly. That, my friend, is the key to it all. That's also the key to keeping the weight off after surgery and there are a lot of people that fail there. Even the surgery is not magic because you're going to have to take care of yourself in the end....one way or another.

Add me.....I started out with my BMI in the lower 50s (about 52) now I'm "just overweight." I'm proof it can be done and proof it can be done in a healthy way.

You're here, you're logging and you want this. You've done the number one most important thing you could do - you started!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Read as many accounts as possible without ignoring people who have not had successful results or have had negative consequences from the surgery -- all surgeries pose a risk. Get an accurate picture.