How to Smoke a Brisket???

Options
Hi all,

I just got the hookup for two 9-12 lb briskets delivered next weekend, and I've never smoked one before.

I do have a decent charcoal smoker, and I have some experience smoking pork products, beef ribs, and salmon. I'm wondering if anyone has some good recipes for a brisket marinade and rub and some instructions on how to properly smoke a brisket.

There are some recipes online, but I prefer to hear from people who actually do the smoking themselves and what tweaks you find make it better.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jencooks
    jencooks Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump

sorry, no advice... i have smoked several pork butts though!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    bump

Pork butts are on my list too! What's your strategy for smoking them?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    bump

Light the end and haul like a mother. ;)

Interested. I'd like to get a smoker.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    bump

Light the end and haul like a mother. ;)

Interested. I'd like to get a smoker.

:laugh:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Just buy a rub or make one up with some herbs and spices, put in the smoker and let it go for about 4 to 6 hours or so depending on how bug it is.. The wood smoke imparts most of the flavor. The pork shoulder goes for about 10 to 12 hours. I use a gas smoker and let it go overnight. The key thing is just experimenting with the amount of smoke and what rubs you like. I use Montreal Chicken on pork and I use a brown sugar bourbon on brisket. Keep the temp between 200 and 225. Hope this helps!
  • VelociMama
    Options
    Just buy a rub or make one up with some herbs and spices, put in the smoker and let it go for about 4 to 6 hours or so depending on how bug it is.. The wood smoke imparts most of the flavor. The pork shoulder goes for about 10 to 12 hours. I use a gas smoker and let it go overnight. The key thing is just experimenting with the amount of smoke and what rubs you like. I use Montreal Chicken on pork and I use a brown sugar bourbon on brisket. Keep the temp between 200 and 225. Hope this helps!

I love a good brown sugar and molasses marinade on pork. Never tried it on beef though. I usually go with a cajun spice, but this sounds great!

Thanks!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I love a good brown sugar and molasses marinade on pork. Never tried it on beef though. I usually go with a cajun spice, but this sounds great!

Thanks!

I like a cajun or creole one also! Whatever mood that strikes you!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I am not much help but I usually have good luck googling it!
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    I've never done it but my dad used to do what he called a Texas dry rub, which was a little cinnamon, brown sugar, red pepper and salt. I dont know the proportions though, sorry! Im sure you could find a similar recipe easily, it was really good! He used to put that on turkey and smoke it to NOM NOM!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Some of the best brisket in Texas is seasoned with a simple rub of only salt and pepper.

I use an off the shelf rub. I prepare the meat with a dry rub, wrap it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge overnight. When I'm ready to cook I'll take it out of the fridge and let it come up to room temperature while I'm preparing the smoker. With the smoker running at 225 -250 the rough estimate is about 1.5 hrs per pound of meats. But this is just an estimate, depending on the cut of meat it may take longer or less time. I usually cook my brisket to around 195 degrees.

Wood choice is important. I smoke Pork using Apple wood. For Brisket I'll use either Oak or Pecan.

Here's a site with a fair amount of information regarding smoking brisket
    http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

Enjoy your smoke!
  • VelociMama
    Options
    Some of the best brisket in Texas is seasoned with a simple rub of only salt and pepper.

I use an off the shelf rub. I prepare the meat with a dry rub, wrap it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge overnight. When I'm ready to cook I'll take it out of the fridge and let it come up to room temperature while I'm preparing the smoker. With the smoker running at 225 -250 the rough estimate is about 1.5 hrs per pound of meats. But this is just an estimate, depending on the cut of meat it may take longer or less time. I usually cook my brisket to around 195 degrees.

Wood choice is important. I smoke Pork using Apple wood. For Brisket I'll use either Oak or Pecan.

Here's a site with a fair amount of information regarding smoking brisket
    http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

Enjoy your smoke!

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! I'll post pics and what I did here next weekend after the smoke. Hopefully, everything will turn out nicely.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    For brisket I make a rub with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and whatever else strikes my fancy. I put the rub on the meat and then keep it in the fridge over night. I take the meat out of the fridge when I start the fire. I use charcoal to get the fire going and then put wood on. I like mesquite, pecan/hickory (they're the same) or oak for beef. I get the fire up to about 300 and then put the meat on. I let it drop down to about 200 and keep it there for about 8 to 12 hours. After a few hours I wrap the brisket up in aluminum foil for the remainder. Real barbecue doesn't need sauce.

I did a pork but today. I just rubbed it with salt and pepper and a little bit of sugar. Put it on a 200 degree mulberry wood fire for about 6 or 7 hours. Wrapped it in foil after about three hours. It was heavenly.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Real barbecue doesn't need sauce.

My people
  • sjohnny
    Options

My people

I will occassionaly make sauce if yankees are coming over but I treat it with disdain and shame them into not using it.
  • VelociMama
    Options

I'm not a fan of barbecue sauce either. It just hides the flavor of the meat.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    For brisket I make a rub with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and whatever else strikes my fancy. I put the rub on the meat and then keep it in the fridge over night. I take the meat out of the fridge when I start the fire. I use charcoal to get the fire going and then put wood on. I like mesquite, pecan/hickory (they're the same) or oak for beef. I get the fire up to about 300 and then put the meat on. I let it drop down to about 200 and keep it there for about 8 to 12 hours. After a few hours I wrap the brisket up in aluminum foil for the remainder. Real barbecue doesn't need sauce.

I did a pork but today. I just rubbed it with salt and pepper and a little bit of sugar. Put it on a 200 degree mulberry wood fire for about 6 or 7 hours. Wrapped it in foil after about three hours. It was heavenly.

Sounds fantastic! Thanks! I normally just smoke the whole thing on low heat (200-225). Do you start on higher heat setting to help expedite cooking time?
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the rub (salt, pepper, red pepper, garlic & onion powder) overnite in fridge wrapped in plastic. Bring up to room temp; sear on hot grill; smoke w/mesquite for about 3 hours...then--here's the lazy way after that--put in big turkey-sized Reynolds oven bag, poke some holes in bag as directed, then put in 220-degree oven overnite (8 hrs). Before putting in bag, cut off some of the smoked cap fat to render down to use in making your BBQ sauce---I never said it was diet food :-)
  • sjohnny
    Options

Sounds fantastic! Thanks! I normally just smoke the whole thing on low heat (200-225). Do you start on higher heat setting to help expedite cooking time?

No, nothing should be done to expedite the cooking time - it's a labor of love. The higher intial heat gives a little bit of a sear to the meat. I typed 300 but I usually go a little higher - 400 or so. The temp comes down pretty quickly and I keep it stabilized around 200 for the duration.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Ditto on the rub (salt, pepper, red pepper, garlic & onion powder) overnite in fridge wrapped in plastic. Bring up to room temp; sear on hot grill; smoke w/mesquite for about 3 hours...then--here's the lazy way after that--put in big turkey-sized Reynolds oven bag, poke some holes in bag as directed, then put in 220-degree oven overnite (8 hrs). Before putting in bag, cut off some of the smoked cap fat to render down to use in making your BBQ sauce---I never said it was diet food :-)
    Finish in a bag in the oven? I just died inside a little.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    -put in big turkey-sized Reynolds oven bag, poke some holes in bag as directed, then put in 220-degree oven overnite (8 hrs). Before putting in bag, cut off some of the smoked cap fat to render down to use in making your BBQ sauce

tracey-jordan-nope.gif