How to Smoke a Brisket???

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    -put in big turkey-sized Reynolds oven bag, poke some holes in bag as directed, then put in 220-degree oven overnite (8 hrs). Before putting in bag, cut off some of the smoked cap fat to render down to use in making your BBQ sauce

tracey-jordan-nope.gif

Ed Zachary!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    For brisket I make a rub with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and whatever else strikes my fancy. I put the rub on the meat and then keep it in the fridge over night. I take the meat out of the fridge when I start the fire. I use charcoal to get the fire going and then put wood on. I like mesquite, pecan/hickory (they're the same) or oak for beef. I get the fire up to about 300 and then put the meat on. I let it drop down to about 200 and keep it there for about 8 to 12 hours. After a few hours I wrap the brisket up in aluminum foil for the remainder. Real barbecue doesn't need sauce.

I did a pork but today. I just rubbed it with salt and pepper and a little bit of sugar. Put it on a 200 degree mulberry wood fire for about 6 or 7 hours. Wrapped it in foil after about three hours. It was heavenly.

Sounds fantastic! Thanks! I normally just smoke the whole thing on low heat (200-225). Do you start on higher heat setting to help expedite cooking time?

No, nothing should be done to expedite the cooking time - it's a labor of love. The higher intial heat gives a little bit of a sear to the meat. I typed 300 but I usually go a little higher - 400 or so. The temp comes down pretty quickly and I keep it stabilized around 200 for the duration.

That makes sense (the searing). I'm patient, so I'm willing to put the TLC required into this to get it right.

Thank you for all your help!
  • sjohnny
    Options
    For brisket I make a rub with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and whatever else strikes my fancy. I put the rub on the meat and then keep it in the fridge over night. I take the meat out of the fridge when I start the fire. I use charcoal to get the fire going and then put wood on. I like mesquite, pecan/hickory (they're the same) or oak for beef. I get the fire up to about 300 and then put the meat on. I let it drop down to about 200 and keep it there for about 8 to 12 hours. After a few hours I wrap the brisket up in aluminum foil for the remainder. Real barbecue doesn't need sauce.

I did a pork but today. I just rubbed it with salt and pepper and a little bit of sugar. Put it on a 200 degree mulberry wood fire for about 6 or 7 hours. Wrapped it in foil after about three hours. It was heavenly.

Sounds fantastic! Thanks! I normally just smoke the whole thing on low heat (200-225). Do you start on higher heat setting to help expedite cooking time?

No, nothing should be done to expedite the cooking time - it's a labor of love. The higher intial heat gives a little bit of a sear to the meat. I typed 300 but I usually go a little higher - 400 or so. The temp comes down pretty quickly and I keep it stabilized around 200 for the duration.

That makes sense (the searing). I'm patient, so I'm willing to put the TLC required into this to get it right.

Thank you for all your help!

You seem to have the right attitude! Time, love and smoke. That's what you need.

And the only time it should go in the oven is to keep it warm after it's done and you're getting the cole slaw ready or something.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This is why Kansas City BBQ is the best! It ain't real BBQ without the sauce!

Here's your rub:
    Gates-_-Son_s-Kc-Bbq-Rub-Recipezaar-18897.l.png

Choose your sauce: (Again, Gates is my favorite)
    kansas-city-barbecue-sauces.jpg

Learn from the best:
    "Hi, may I help you?"
    09gatesbbq0.JPG

You haven't tasted real BBQ until you've had Gates! :tongue:

:smokin:
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I just got the hookup for two 9-12 lb briskets delivered next weekend, and I've never smoked one before.

I do have a decent charcoal smoker, and I have some experience smoking pork products, beef ribs, and salmon. I'm wondering if anyone has some good recipes for a brisket marinade and rub and some instructions on how to properly smoke a brisket.

There are some recipes online, but I prefer to hear from people who actually do the smoking themselves and what tweaks you find make it better.

Thanks in advance.

Best advice is amazingribs.com Meathead knows all.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    GOOD GOD! The only thing worse than sauce is sauce from a bottle.

The only reason people think Kansas City barbecue is the best is because they've never been to Texas.

Disclaimer - I do keep a bottle of bbq sauce at the house for hot dogs or sammiches or whathaveyou but it never goes on brisket.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Everyone has some good advice. The one thing I want to add - brisket is a lot less forgiving than pork. There's a window between the "not done" and "overdone" stages.

Enjoy!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    9 - 12 pound brisket.... need to smoke it at least 12 hours. Heat range from 215 to 225. Keep the rub simple. Depending on your taste here are a couple I like. 70% paprika, 30% chili powder. Or Onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Rub, let sit for one hour, then coat with yellow mustard (lots of it). makes a nice crust. Or just rub & smoke. Wood.... almond or oak go well with beef. Hickory goes good with everything. Fruit woods work well too, apple, cherry....ect. Good luck and enjoy!
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Everyone has some good advice. The one thing I want to add - brisket is a lot less forgiving than pork. There's a window between the "not done" and "overdone" stages.

Enjoy!

True. Wrapping in foil extends that window by a large degree.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

The only reason people think Kansas City barbecue is the best is because they've never been to Texas.

Disclaimer - I do keep a bottle of bbq sauce at the house for hot dogs or sammiches or whathaveyou but it never goes on brisket.

Hey, I've actually *tasted* Texas BBQ. My brother lived there (God knows why) for over a decade. That was his biggest complaint about Texas is that there's no Gates BBQ there. They do have better Mexican food in Texas. I'll give ya'll that one!

ETA: (Oh, and ya'll have good pizza as well.)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...

All I want to know is what time should I be there for dinner?

yum.gif
  • mikeyboy
    Options
    Want to add, you can use a mop sauce too if you like. I sometimes use a mix of apple cider vinegar & apple juce.
  • 76tech
    Options

Enjoy!

does it screw up the crust?
  • sjohnny
    Options

Hey, I've actually *tasted* Texas BBQ. My brother lived there (God knows why) for over a decade. That was his biggest complaint about Texas is that there's no Gates BBQ there. They do have better Mexican food in Texas. I'll give ya'll that one!

He was doing it wrong. There are a lot of crappy BBQ places in Texas but the good ones are the best in the Universe.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Enjoy!

No. Mine still has a nice crusty exterior with a thick red ring right inside of that and moist tender meatiness inside of that.
  • 76tech
    Options

Enjoy!

No. Mine still has a nice crusty exterior with a thick red ring right inside of that and moist tender meatiness inside of that.

Nice, thanks!

i shall not fear the foil...
  • mikeyboy
    Options

He was doing it wrong. There are a lot of crappy BBQ places in Texas but the good ones are the best in the Universe.

I have had great BBQ in Texas and a lot of other states. I have had bad BBQ in most of those places too.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Enjoy!

Nice, thanks!

i shall not fear the foil...

As long as you've given it a few hours prior to wrapping you're all good.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I prefer dry rub and to cook a little higher heat (275ish) and let a brisket go, until the smoke ring is good (1/4"-3/8" deep) and you have developed some good bark. Cook briskets fat side down because the juice from the fat will boil up through the meat as it cooks, this is key for moisture and flavor. (fat side up allows juice to escape and drip off the outside and essentially wastes it.) Usually 3 hours. At that point put it in a foil pan and cover tightly with foil and continue several hours until you get to preferred temp. This will keep it from drying out as it finishes. Not to mention that you'll end up with a quart or more of the best tasting au-jus you could ever have.

FYI brisket is great at about 195-200, if you prefer it more tender go to 205. At about 208-210 it will start to fall apart when you cut it.
  • dmurphy1975
    dmurphy1975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Now I want to go get a brisket to smoke, I've been thinking about it for weeks and haven't had enough time.

I start with a getting a good fire going in my smoker box and bringing the temp up to about 300 - 350 in the cooking area of the grill, once I get the brisket on I try to keep the temp between 225 - 275 for 8 - 10 hours.

To get the brisket ready I do a dry rub of brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder. This goes onto the brisket the night before. When the grill is ready I put the brisket on with the fat side up for about 4 - 5 hours (internal temp up to about 130). Then I wrap the brisket in foil and put it back on with the fat side down for the next 4 - 5 hours. When I take it off I leave it wrapped for 30 minutes to reabsorb the juices before unwrapping and slicing. When it's done it can be cut with a fork. The biggest problem that I usually find is getting a brisket with a decent layer of fat on it. Seems that all of the stores near me want to trim it to almost nothing.
    Good luck and enjoy.