No loss in two weeks...

Options

Replies

• stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Those who say "You're not ready yet," "You don't want it enough..."

Those things don't matter. I HAVE to do this whether I want to or not. I HAVE to drop this weight... it would solve or prevent so many health problems if I did....

I like what another poster said about printing this out. Here is what I would do if I was you. I'd print this out:

I HAVE to do this whether I want to or not. I HAVE to drop this weight. My good choices WILL solve or prevent so many of my health problems when I DO.

Also, I'd print a lot of copies and them all over the place where I would see them every day and where temptations exist. Put one on myfridge, put one wherever I kept my snacks, where i kept my shopping list, my bathroom mirro, put one in my billfold, etc.
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    EXCUSES NEVER GOT ANYONE............... ANYWHERE

This. Sorry for the tough love, but you're either on board and making every effort you can (within moderation) or you're not.

You've already outlined your problems:
    1. Didn't drink enough water
    2. TOM
    3. Bad choice when eating at a restaurant
    4. No meal planning
    5. Very low calorie goal
    6. Don't want to prepare your own foods

All excuses. You're an adult and if you really want to lose weight, you will find a way to manage the above situations. You don't have to give up your favorite foods, you just have to make them fit in your day (and eating above 1200 cals will help with that quite a bit). You need to track your TOM so you know when/how that will affect your weight. You need to plan most of your meals and do your own shopping. There are too many resources out there to claim that you don't know how to cook or that you don't have time. There are all sorts of blogs, books, websites and podcasts devoted to learning to cook and preparing quick and easy meals.

Don't expect results from the work you didn't do.

Good luck getting it figured out! :smile:

I agree with this. And perhaps most importantly: learn to cook. It may seem like it is a waste of your time now, but it is a true LIFE SKILL that gives you the power to change your own life.

All of this!
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    probably all been said..but your food intake is mostly garbage.... less candies pizza and other crap..you can still have it..but not every day.. and get ur buns in to the gym or pool and start moving. you need tell your body it needs to start functioning like it is supose too. your body changes..some times u lose some times you dont..it is going to depend on how much effort you put in to it...
  • linkinpark1990
    Options
    you are making a lot of excuses i am also just started and lost 10 gained 3 back but well i am also happy with what i bin doing don't look it as a bad thing just look back at what you bin doing and you can change and head up all the junk food not good any way try change them out for some thing healthier that you also like i bin doing that i stop soda and potatoes all to gather knowing they are my big problems drink water and tea sins i know i love tea i get with out sugar in it and head up if u know were u going out to a head of time most of thow place have a menu online so u can pre plan on your fave places i do that for all my fave i eat out a lot also did u know most places like fast food post online there menus maybe not the nutrition but u can at least know what they got and plane that way
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    OP, since many people have very eloquently pointed out and repeated not only the answer to your question, but why your lifestyle is not healthy, and what you can do to improve it... I will hit on some things you keep repeating yourself.

You keep saying, "I'm GOING to change" and "I can't do this OVERNIGHT."

Talk is cheap. You keep SAYING you're going to do things; why would people see a very unhealthy diary, a person who can't seem to handle constructive criticism and actually CREATES insults in their head, and someone who has made many different excuses for why their lifestyle is the way it is... and then take your "I'm going to change!" statement at face value?

You said you've been on another health site--you've been logging here at least a month, and you've BEEN in the forums, as this wasn't your first forum post. You're not squeaky clean new to this "new lifestyle"... but the lifestyle hasn't changed.

How long can you keep saying, "I'm GOING to change"? Don't say, "I'm GOING to change," start thinking, "I AM changed. I AM changing." You have set yourself up with many phrases I have heard people use... and they all ended up obese.

I'm not exaggerating, either. The, "Well, but it's the holidays" turned into "Well, it's a Tuesday" for them, and all of a sudden they were 50+ lbs overweight. Similarly, I heard many people say, "I'm going to start limiting my portions/exercising/join a gym/etc."... and they just kept saying that as the weight gained.

Ultimately, while your food and exercise and even time management habits might not be great, I think you need to work on your cognitive behavior before anything else. You say you own up and are aware of your choices... but you are giving yourself reasons to do them, even if you don't think you are. Saying, 'At least I didn't eat a Blizzard..." in response to eating double the candy serving size of something is dangerous. Dangerous.

You lost 7 lbs. That's good. You STARTED. You just have to COMPLETE it.

You wouldn't run through Azeroth saying, "I'm going to get to level 90 eventually..." and then twink yourself. You wouldn't say, "I'm going to defeat Ganon!" and then stay at the Deku tree for a year.

So why would you say, "I'm GOING to change and lose weight" then sit and give yourself excuses and question why nothing's changing?

Not to sound whiny... I really don't mean to... but nobody knows what my habits were like before I started this journey, and nobody knows how I've changed since I started. I keep struggling with my own inner "drill instructor" who is "go hard or go home, you pathetic maggot" and seeing harsh or tough responses from other people just brings that out more, and I get defensive. Heck someone just busted out Courage Wolf here. This can't be all or nothing... that's not sustainable. I TRIED that my first week back on SparkPeople and was miserable and wanting to quit. I felt better when I was easier on myself and saw results. Now... people are pushing me again and that "drill instructor" in my head is coming back.

What do I have to do to get people to stop being hard on me so I can stop being hard on myself?
    Don't get discouraged by some of these replies. Especially if you are doing your best. You need to do as the last poster said--start adding veggies and fruit and lean protein in your diet, get a George Foreman, and definitely start reading about nutrition. It will make your eating choices so much easier when you eat out. (eg spaghetti marinara will always be better than fettuccine alfredo) You have the "best" idea for weight loss, which is a lifestyle change that you can live with...but it will still have to be a change. Please, don't give up because people have been aggressive with you. This is your life and you will have to learn what works for your weight loss, but without a doubt in order to be successful you will need to learn about food and its nutritional properties. It will make your journey more fun and exciting as well. Not just about loss but about gaining--gaining wisdom and knowledge and skills!

Thank you! But... have people completely overlooked the salads and celery and carrot sticks I eat so they can nag on my bad choices instead?

I quit all the crap all at one time. I drank my last soda, I ate my last candy bar, I ate my last bag of chips June 8th. I did this because I really wanted to make a change in my life. I do not feel I'm on a diet, I'm on a new way of living and if you really want it you will make a change in what you eat. It's that simple!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP, since many people have very eloquently pointed out and repeated not only the answer to your question, but why your lifestyle is not healthy, and what you can do to improve it... I will hit on some things you keep repeating yourself.

You keep saying, "I'm GOING to change" and "I can't do this OVERNIGHT."

Talk is cheap. You keep SAYING you're going to do things; why would people see a very unhealthy diary, a person who can't seem to handle constructive criticism and actually CREATES insults in their head, and someone who has made many different excuses for why their lifestyle is the way it is... and then take your "I'm going to change!" statement at face value?

You said you've been on another health site--you've been logging here at least a month, and you've BEEN in the forums, as this wasn't your first forum post. You're not squeaky clean new to this "new lifestyle"... but the lifestyle hasn't changed.

How long can you keep saying, "I'm GOING to change"? Don't say, "I'm GOING to change," start thinking, "I AM changed. I AM changing." You have set yourself up with many phrases I have heard people use... and they all ended up obese.

I'm not exaggerating, either. The, "Well, but it's the holidays" turned into "Well, it's a Tuesday" for them, and all of a sudden they were 50+ lbs overweight. Similarly, I heard many people say, "I'm going to start limiting my portions/exercising/join a gym/etc."... and they just kept saying that as the weight gained.

Ultimately, while your food and exercise and even time management habits might not be great, I think you need to work on your cognitive behavior before anything else. You say you own up and are aware of your choices... but you are giving yourself reasons to do them, even if you don't think you are. Saying, 'At least I didn't eat a Blizzard..." in response to eating double the candy serving size of something is dangerous. Dangerous.

You lost 7 lbs. That's good. You STARTED. You just have to COMPLETE it.

You wouldn't run through Azeroth saying, "I'm going to get to level 90 eventually..." and then twink yourself. You wouldn't say, "I'm going to defeat Ganon!" and then stay at the Deku tree for a year.

So why would you say, "I'm GOING to change and lose weight" then sit and give yourself excuses and question why nothing's changing?

Not to sound whiny... I really don't mean to... but nobody knows what my habits were like before I started this journey, and nobody knows how I've changed since I started. I keep struggling with my own inner "drill instructor" who is "go hard or go home, you pathetic maggot" and seeing harsh or tough responses from other people just brings that out more, and I get defensive. Heck someone just busted out Courage Wolf here. This can't be all or nothing... that's not sustainable. I TRIED that my first week back on SparkPeople and was miserable and wanting to quit. I felt better when I was easier on myself and saw results. Now... people are pushing me again and that "drill instructor" in my head is coming back.

What do I have to do to get people to stop being hard on me so I can stop being hard on myself?
    Don't get discouraged by some of these replies. Especially if you are doing your best. You need to do as the last poster said--start adding veggies and fruit and lean protein in your diet, get a George Foreman, and definitely start reading about nutrition. It will make your eating choices so much easier when you eat out. (eg spaghetti marinara will always be better than fettuccine alfredo) You have the "best" idea for weight loss, which is a lifestyle change that you can live with...but it will still have to be a change. Please, don't give up because people have been aggressive with you. This is your life and you will have to learn what works for your weight loss, but without a doubt in order to be successful you will need to learn about food and its nutritional properties. It will make your journey more fun and exciting as well. Not just about loss but about gaining--gaining wisdom and knowledge and skills!

Thank you! But... have people completely overlooked the salads and celery and carrot sticks I eat so they can nag on my bad choices instead?

Ugh, sorry to contribute to a long quote chain now here, but...

You don't seem to see lifestyle or health in terms of gray (grey? whatever), but only black or white. That is, again, a cognitive behavior you need to change. You need to retool that brain drill instructor; you need to learn to not give yourself excuses, but also not to call you a filthy maggot. And I have to be honest... I'm not buying the drill instructor business, because that drill instructor seems to be letting you eat pretty high-sodium, high-sugar, super processed foods everyday.

Rewire the way you view things. It's great you don't eat a whole pizza anymore. Now start not eating a slice everyday... or if you eat a slice or two on one day, don't eat fast food or nutrient empty foods the same day. See? No black or white here... you can have your cake and eat it, too... just not all the time.

As for the "carrots and celery" bit, some have already pointed it out... you say that, but those "healthy" meals are minuscule compared to the unhealthy foods you eat and have recorded in that diary (and I went all the way back to the first time you ever recorded). Also, fyi: don't fall into the well known "salad trap"... those restaurant salads that total ~600 calories are not doing you favors, either.

It's like you're wiping in a raid, then saying, "Hey, but I did 1k crit on the final boss who had 100k total health!" One little blip here and there isn't making enough of a change to warrant success here.

Can you tell I like analogies? You said you're a gamer... I'm trying to reach you here, girl!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

What I said was to add a lot more. They can be very filling for very little calories and are another step in the right direction. I suggested adding a lot more every day for a few weeks and then trying another change - one at a time. It is you focusing on the negative.
  • jeddy3mcc
    jeddy3mcc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ok this needs to be said....and I am in no way attacking you. This thread has gone on for a while and it seems as though you are continuing to fuel the fire with some "key statements" that might send some ppl into defense.

By your original messages and subsequent messages you seem like a bright girl, you speak eloquently and you seem to be educated.

Everyone who has "helped" be it helpful for you or not, that has not really been your focus, your focus has been to rip those who are being "negative". That to ME, IMO, says your trying to milk this for attention.

You are bright enough to know that u didn't eat as well as you would have liked and that factored into you weigh in...This is a journey and you know your habits are going to be modified.....and I know your bright enough to know that change doesn't happen overnight.

My advice to you, instead of fueling the fires of the ppl you say are being negative, ignore them, and focus your responses on the ppl who said positive things..... Maybe ask a question like, "so Iknow I don't like cooking, what are some techniques that u guys have tried to make cooking more bareable." Or "What are some ideas you guys have for eating out unexpectedlythat will help me make better choices" I promise you will get better responses from everyone in this thread!

That is just my advice, take it or leave it.
  • justicekenny
    Options
    Bump for later..
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    To the OP: What you eat is 100% your choice. Your health is no one's responsibility but your own. Take responsibility for this lifestyle change that I know you want to make and make it! You have made a good start - you are here, afterall, and you are tracking what you eat. That's a lot more than most people. Just take a step back and look at your diary, understand that all the hinderances you've listed so far are really just excuses and make some changes for the better!

Nothing to eat in the house? Leave the house and go get a healthier option. In fact, take a nice, brisk walk to the grocery store and carry your groceries home so you can get some exercise in too.

Out to eat at a restaurant and you feel pressured to make a quick decision? Know that anyting "alredo" is NOT a good choice. Pretty much every restaurant offers a green salad w/grilled chicken - go for that option and pick a light dressing.

Don't know how to cook? You're missing out on one of the joys in life. You may find it quite satisfying to cook a healthy meal that actually tastes good. Do you ever want a family someday? Wouldn't you like to be able to make healthy meals for future children so they don't face the same struggles and hurdles in life that you have? Learn to love your crock pot and others have suggested skinnytaste.com and I've found that to be great too. I also highly recommend Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" (for example, does a recipe call for leeks but you have no idea what one even looks like? He's got illustrations and instructions on how to prep them! He also has primary recipies and small variations you can do to keep things interesting).

Exercise more. Let's face it, most of us don't actually enjoy the act of exercising just for the sake of getting required exercise. But, when you DO make the effort and spend more time working out, you may find that unhealthy foods start becoming less appealing because you start really internalizing the need to NOT sabotage yourself.

Overall, I think you are on the right track, you just need to take ownership of your situation and turn things around. You will be SO HAPPY and SO PROUD of yourself if you can! You will gain a truckload of self confidence, you may find yourself going out more and more with friends and that will give you even more opportunities to practice healthy eating habits when dining out :-).
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ok this needs to be said....and I am in no way attacking you. This thread has gone on for a while and it seems as though you are continuing to fuel the fire with some "key statements" that might send some ppl into defense.

By your original messages and subsequent messages you seem like a bright girl, you speak eloquently and you seem to be educated.

Everyone who has "helped" be it helpful for you or not, that has not really been your focus, your focus has been to rip those who are being "negative". That to ME, IMO, says your trying to milk this for attention.

You are bright enough to know that u didn't eat as well as you would have liked and that factored into you weigh in...This is a journey and you know your habits are going to be modified.....and I know your bright enough to know that change doesn't happen overnight.

My advice to you, instead of fueling the fires of the ppl you say are being negative, ignore them, and focus your responses on the ppl who said positive things..... Maybe ask a question like, "so Iknow I don't like cooking, what are some techniques that u guys have tried to make cooking more bareable." Or "What are some ideas you guys have for eating out unexpectedlythat will help me make better choices" I promise you will get better responses from everyone in this thread!

That is just my advice, take it or leave it.

Well said.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

Support is not enabling you to continue to lie to yourself. We've all been there, and we know how hard it is. Everyone has their reasons for not being healthy and excuses for when they are failing at it.

What you aren't going to get here is both approval and carte blanche to eat the way you have and then complain you haven't lost any weight in a couple weeks. I know exactly why I haven't lost weight in MONTHS. It isn't a mystery. Not when you are honest with yourself.

Put on your big girl panties, make some smart, adult decisions and take responsibility for yourself.
    That's all.

Best of luck.
  • ladioffaith
    Options
    Honestly, I would absolutely make my diary private. I have. And the way I see people jumping on the dietary choices of others makes me absolutely want to stick with that decision!

I am making slow, gradual changes. Weighing and measuring what I eat is a change. Adding more veggies is a change. Learning that even though my calorie amount at this point allows quite a bit, having too many calories at one point is a problem, and adjusting that is a change. Joining a gym is a change. Pushing myself to stay on the treadmill longer than I want to is a change!

And there are weeks of the month I will gain or not lose no matter what I do.

Some days, I may go beyond my calories. The next day, I will look at what I ate, and ask myself what I could have done differently. Sometimes it's eating a healthier breakfast. Other days it's adding in more veggies and fiber. Some days I decide I really should reduce the size of snacks, like the time I realized a pack of peanut butter crackers was 200 calories so the next day, I only ate half of it.

As you said, it's a gradual lifestyle change. Just don't expect immediate results. And don't expect what works for somebody else to work for you.

I have lost 18 pounds in about 3 months. I did a look at my weight loss over the past 30 days and noticed a pattern. I ONLY lose weight in the first week of the month. The rest of the time is spent packing on the water weight due to Aunt Flo as well as other weight. I can lose 3-4 pounds in a day just by flushing it away!

Last night my roommate went to the fast food place and returned with a large frosty for each of us. I checked the calories. 600. SIX HUNDRED? It sat in the freezer. I had 400 left for the day. At some point later I got a bowl and a spoon and removed half of the frosty. The rest stayed in the freezer for another day. Which will NOT be today. I made poor choices at lunch. Live and learn, live and learn.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    Hi,
    You could buy yourself a bag of frozen veg or prepared salad. When your parents cook ask them just to give you half a plate full of food, and fill the other half of the plate with veggies. This would be a healthier option. I have a sweet tooth too, and try to keep it in check by eating sweet fruits. I'm not the greatest cook but on BBC Good Food they have lots of recipes, you can choose ones with a calorie limit and pick the easy section. Once you have learned a few things you can offer to cook for your parents once a week. My boyfriend doesn't even realise that half the meals I've cooked him lately were 'diet foods' :) So once you learn to cook, and cook for your family you can slowly introduce them to healthy foods too.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

Support is not enabling you to continue to lie to yourself. We've all been there, and we know how hard it is. Everyone has their reasons for not being healthy and excuses for when they are failing at it.

What you aren't going to get here is both approval and carte blanche to eat the way you have and then complain you haven't lost any weight in a couple weeks. I know exactly why I haven't lost weight in MONTHS. It isn't a mystery. Not when you are honest with yourself.

Put on your big girl panties, make some smart, adult decisions and take responsibility for yourself.
    That's all.

Best of luck.

^THIS!
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Do yourself a favor and stop posting on the forums if this is so hard on you. Stop seeking acceptance from complete strangers on the internet....who cares if we collectively don't think you're eating enough veggies but you say you are! Answer to yourself...you know if you're lying to yourself or not deep down.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I will say one word of encouragement-at least you are logging everything, even the crap. Looks like you're being honest about having fast food and candy multiple times a day. Some people try to keep that secret or leave it out. Logging everything and asking for people to look at your diary is a step in the right directions, just keep your mind open to advice.
  • nicdorda
    nicdorda Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don’t post a lot but I’ve checked out your diary and honestly, I struggle with sugar addiction as well. Halloween is the worst! Lots of people have just said cut the crap and exercise and you’ll see results. I agree. However, I admit, it’s hard!

For the last five years I’ve been about 280lbs. I spiked up to 315lbs last year and has 60% body fat and I have worked my way back to the 280s this summer and have been stuck there for 3 months. But I'm at 41% body fat now! My nutrition is far from perfect, but I’ve decided to make small incrementally changes and treat this as a long term journey rather than a sprint. M

I suggest easing into the clean eating and planning. Right now you eat out alot. Most of these places have nutrition information. What has helped me is to look up the calorie counts of the fast food places I go to a lot and then identify the best choices in terms of fat, calories and sodium ahead of time. That way when I don’t have a meal planned out, I know a good choice that isn’t going to blow my day. Panda Express – it looks like you had a two entrée meal and white rice as a side. You can swap the rice for mixed veggies. Mixed Veggies are only 70 calories. Or you can get the bowl and just have one side and one entrée. The chicken mushroom and green bean chicken entrees are great choices. Whataburger – get the kids meal. Over time you’ll be satisfied with less. Mentally planning your fast food meals this way will help you ease into planning your own meal and stay within a calorie budget.

Same thing with candy (although personally I’ve been guilty of indulging in the sweets lately.) If you have the urge, pick sugar free or something that will give you the same satisfaction, but less calories and carbs. You’ll have to experiment to you what choices your palate likes. For me, frozen grapes taste a lot like jelly beans. A chocolate protein smoothie with greek yogurt and peanut butter? Can be just good as a blizzard!

So there are some tips. Feel free to add me as a friend…I’m in Texas as well.
  • Valm0n
    Valm0n Posts: 88
    Options
    I'd say: eat more, but less crap.

eat veggies, fruits, lean meat, wholegrain, etc... but seriously, I don't remember which day it was, you ate breakfast at PizzaHut, then Lunch at McDonald's. That's probably "too much".
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My advice: find some MFP friends who are about the same height and age as yourself who have had good results (hint: check the Success Stories threads and send friend requests). Then, every day, study their food diaries and ask questions. Learning how to plan your meals ahead and finding quick and convenient options is easier when you learn from people who know how.