Favorite Chicken Breast Marinades or toppings?

Options
Good morning!

I have been eating a lot of chicken for protein lately-- and I mean a LOT of chicken. It's getting boring, so I wanted to see what your favorite marinades or toppings are. I'm trying to stay away from breading anything, even though I'd kill for chicken parm. Here are things I've been doing:

-Taking chicken out five minutes before done, slathering on a 30 cal wedge of sundried tomato laughing cow cheese, and popping it back in the oven so cheese can warm. When I take it out I cover it in diced up roma tomato. Tastes like a low cal version of Chicken Bryan from Carrabas.
-Normal chicken breast in low-carb barbeque sauce
-McCormick's Back Yard Brew marinade... not trying to advertise, just obsessed
-Lemon pepper
-I've toyed around with soy sauce and sesame seeds, but since I don't want to use flour or anything greasy, it's hard to get the sesame seeds to actually stay...
-Combination of dijon mustard and either a tiny bit of honey or maple syrup
-Fat free italian dressing

What do you do with chicken that you love?

My next thing will be coating in yogurt and middle eastern spices, but haven't done it yet-- any suggestions for that in particular?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    lately my 2 favs are:

chicken breasts covered in diced tomatoes w/basil, minced onions and black pepper...baked until juices run clear..its bruchetta chicken..delicious.

Then I love to make fajita chicken in the crockpot...5-6 chicken breasts whole, 3-4 different colored bell peppers cut into slices, 1 small onion sliced thin, 1/2 cup fat free low sodium(or sodium free chicken broth), cumin, chili powder, and cayenne powder..add all into the crockpot and cook on low 6-8n hours or on hi 4-5 hours..yummy!
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    sometimes i even sprinkle the powdered italian dressing on top of the breats(1 packet does about 6 perfect portion breasts) and bake unil juices run clear...this only adds about 5 cals to the chicken and its sooooo good!!
  • bebaile2
    Options
    Bruschetta chicken!!! Stealing this. I think I need to invest in a crock pot-- haven't done it yet, but with recipes like that, it'll be worth it!
  • Katt1320
    Katt1320 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • fatboyruss
    fatboyruss Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    search sites like www.taste.com.au
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    salsa and sriracha (slow cooker). Works pretty well.
  • swells1604
    swells1604 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my crockpot and that's mainly what I use since I don't get home until 6:45-7:00 every night. Cooking dinner while caring for an almost 6 month old along with homework for my 5 & 6 year olds, showers, etc. all before 8:00 is impossible without my crockpot.

3-4 Chicken Breasts
    Salsa (Large)
    Taco Seasoning (I make my own but you can use 2 packets of store bought)
    Low for 7-8 hours and it makes delicious Shredded Tacos

3-4 Chicken Breasts
    2 Cans Rotel (small)
    1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
    Low for 7-8 hours (I serve over rice)

I have more but I'm at work. I'll add them to my profile this weekend. =)
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I have been eating a lot of chicken for protein lately-- and I mean a LOT of chicken. It's getting boring, so I wanted to see what your favorite marinades or toppings are. I'm trying to stay away from breading anything, even though I'd kill for chicken parm. Here are things I've been doing:

-Taking chicken out five minutes before done, slathering on a 30 cal wedge of sundried tomato laughing cow cheese, and popping it back in the oven so cheese can warm. When I take it out I cover it in diced up roma tomato. Tastes like a low cal version of Chicken Bryan from Carrabas.
    -Normal chicken breast in low-carb barbeque sauce
    -McCormick's Back Yard Brew marinade... not trying to advertise, just obsessed
    -Lemon pepper
    -I've toyed around with soy sauce and sesame seeds, but since I don't want to use flour or anything greasy, it's hard to get the sesame seeds to actually stay...
    -Combination of dijon mustard and either a tiny bit of honey or maple syrup
    -Fat free italian dressing

What do you do with chicken that you love?

My next thing will be coating in yogurt and middle eastern spices, but haven't done it yet-- any suggestions for that in particular?

Thanks in advance!
    I eat a TON of chicken, too, and was recently trying to figure out ways to change it up as well. I have tried 2 different things...

Chicken Breast
    Marinara-I usually measure out 1 cup for 5 breasts, and 1/2 cup is 50 cals so it equates to 20 additional cals per chicken breast
    Mushrooms-can sautee fresh portobellos in pam spray or use canned.

I put the chicken in a baking dish, add the mushrooms, then marinara and it has been my tasty lunch for 2 weeks now! LOL.

AND

4-5 chicken breasts
    1 jar salsa
    1 package taco seasoning.

Mix salsa and taco seasoning. Put chicken breasts in a crock pot and put the wet mixture over and cook for 4-8 hours depending on heat setting. Once it's done, I shred the chicken with a fork and made chicken taco salads with it or you could make chicken tacos.

Both of these recipes do not add much additional calories to the chicken itself but are yum!!
  • pkrichar
    pkrichar Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I love using pesto. Put some on the bottom of the pan put down the breast and put some more on top and bake.
  • dlveck
    dlveck Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options

This looks awesome. Thanks for posting. I eat about 2-3 chicken breasts a day on average. Getting tired of the same old Mrs. Dash.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I like to marinate chicken in frozen orange juice concentrate (without the water, straight from the can) and some low-sodium soy sauce for a citrus/asian taste.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Bruschetta chicken!!! Stealing this. I think I need to invest in a crock pot-- haven't done it yet, but with recipes like that, it'll be worth it!

you can find crockpots as cheap as $15 I think but I would go to walmart and get the SmartPot. I paid $24.99 and I love it because it you choose the setting whether you wanna cook kinda slow like 4-6 hours or really slow like 8-10 hours and it takes care of the temp for you and when the time is up it switches automatically to the warming setting. It's nice to know if I get home an hour later than I planned that I'm not worried about it scorching. Also it is very good size, one of the oval shaped crocks that fit a whole chicken or roast and tons of veggies. Enough for leftovers! Spend the extra $10 and get one that will truly make your life easier. And never buy one that the crock can't come out for easy cleaning. My 1st one was like that! ugh
  • ShadowShriek
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    bumping .. love the suggestions so far; hoping for a few more suitable for oven cooking (not crock pot) :bigsmile:
  • Rita_Rocker
    Rita_Rocker Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been buying chicken tenderloins...2 pcs. is a serving with like 100 cal....I brush "lightly" with Olive Oil on both sides, sprinkle very lightly with McCormick Montreal Chicken seasoning on both sides....put on grill.....yummy smell makes neighbors want to come over for dinner! I make all the pieces in the pack, then have also chopped up in a salad. Give it a try! Rita
  • lilacstars
    Options
    I really like to experiment with chicken marinades. If I just want something simple, I'll add soy sauce and some sugar. I also use a lot of McCormick seasonings just because they come in such big bottles and I can never seem to use them up. Otherwise, I'll just mix in whatever I have on hand and see how it turns out. I prefer to marinate them for at least 12 hours, though.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yogurt marinated chicken... I'm considering doing a turkey this way for Thanksgiving

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/summer/r/yogchicken.htm

Edit to say- Please please please try it!!! It's fall off the bone delicious!
  • lihananzi
    lihananzi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love to mix Honey, Soy, Garlic, Ginger and Peanuts to chicken, goes down very nicely with brown rice, sweet potato, broccoli, spinach and beans :)