Favorite Chicken Breast Marinades or toppings?

Options

Replies

• Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Though high in sodium, I like to put a couple servings of Buffalo Wing Sauce on chicken and go to town. It is very low in calories and so full of flavor I don't really want anything else to go with it. I also use Jamican Jerk Seasoning on both fish and chicken, pretty yummy!
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I don't do much by way of marinating most of the time, largely because I'm a terrible meal planner - I usually end up taking the chicken out of the freezer and just fly by the seat of my pants to come up with something good. :laugh: That said, I have an cupboard that is literally overflowing at times with spices. A couple that I really enjoy with chicken are both from Penzeys - Fox Point seasoning and Northwoods seasoning are both fantastic. Fox Point is more of an herbal seasoning - it's very green, lots of parsley and shallots and chives. I use that one for sauteeing and also for steaming (I use those steam bags for the microwave sometimes - they're handy, and while it's not as good as a saute or a bake, it gets the job done.) Northwoods is kind of like a super-fancy, less-salty seasoning salt. I mixed the Northwoods seasoning with Ian's gluten-free panko crumbs and made some freakin' amazing baked chicken nuggets.
  • nopudgepoot
    nopudgepoot Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My favorite marinade is 1/2 teriyaki sauce and 1/2 light italian dressing (I always used wishbone). Let it sit overnight in that, and then cook it however you prefer. It's so good!
  • maddiezoellner
    maddiezoellner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love chicken bryan from carrabas! thanks for the low-cal version! I've gotta try this!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    my favorite ... minced garlic, pepper, a can of hunts diced italian seasoned tomatoes and vermouth = Yummy! Marinate the chicken for a few hours in the mixture (in a baking dish. Then put the WHOLE THING in the oven to bake. Serve with rice and use the tomato and vermouth sauce over the rice as a gravy. Great served with squash and zucchini saute or sauted eggplant cubes. Or slice korean eggplant and grill or roast with rosemary and olive oil.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I like taking 2 hard tacos from walmart (50 caloies? I had no idea) add some shredded chicken and some bought 5 layer dip (the kind I buy at walmart is 35 calories for 2 tbsp). Quick and low calorie tacos. Even add some shredded lettuce if you like.
  • tatcatzoogrl
    Options
    Mix together mayo, mustard, garlic, worcestershire sauce in one bowl & mix together seasoned breadcrumbs(or stuffing mix or croutons, crushed), grated parmesan cheese in another bowl. Dredge rinsed chicken thru wet mix then in dry mix to coat. Bake covered in 350 degree oven for 30 min. Yum!
  • amv1023
    amv1023 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I have been eating a lot of chicken for protein lately-- and I mean a LOT of chicken. It's getting boring, so I wanted to see what your favorite marinades or toppings are. I'm trying to stay away from breading anything, even though I'd kill for chicken parm. Here are things I've been doing:

-Taking chicken out five minutes before done, slathering on a 30 cal wedge of sundried tomato laughing cow cheese, and popping it back in the oven so cheese can warm. When I take it out I cover it in diced up roma tomato. Tastes like a low cal version of Chicken Bryan from Carrabas.
    -Normal chicken breast in low-carb barbeque sauce
    -McCormick's Back Yard Brew marinade... not trying to advertise, just obsessed
    -Lemon pepper
    -I've toyed around with soy sauce and sesame seeds, but since I don't want to use flour or anything greasy, it's hard to get the sesame seeds to actually stay...
    -Combination of dijon mustard and either a tiny bit of honey or maple syrup
    -Fat free italian dressing

What do you do with chicken that you love?

My next thing will be coating in yogurt and middle eastern spices, but haven't done it yet-- any suggestions for that in particular?

Thanks in advance!
    I eat a TON of chicken, too, and was recently trying to figure out ways to change it up as well. I have tried 2 different things...

Chicken Breast
    Marinara-I usually measure out 1 cup for 5 breasts, and 1/2 cup is 50 cals so it equates to 20 additional cals per chicken breast
    Mushrooms-can sautee fresh portobellos in pam spray or use canned.

I put the chicken in a baking dish, add the mushrooms, then marinara and it has been my tasty lunch for 2 weeks now! LOL.

AND

4-5 chicken breasts
    1 jar salsa
    1 package taco seasoning.

Mix salsa and taco seasoning. Put chicken breasts in a crock pot and put the wet mixture over and cook for 4-8 hours depending on heat setting. Once it's done, I shred the chicken with a fork and made chicken taco salads with it or you could make chicken tacos.

Both of these recipes do not add much additional calories to the chicken itself but are yum!!

I make the chicken tacos several times a month! I found a fast way to shred the chicken...I use my electric hand mixer. 5 lbs of chicken shredded in a few seconds.

I cook a whole chicken in the crock pot too. Just cut up a couple of small onions and put them in the bottom of the crock, put the chicken on top (breast side down keeps it really moist), season with whatever you like (I like a packet of dry italian dressing) and cook on low about 8 hours or so. It is just like a rotisserie chicken you buy at the deli and you can use it for a variety of meals. You can also use the drippings for a soup or gravy if you want
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I love mincing up some ginger, chili, and green onions then mixing them with like, 1/2 cup of fresh lime, a teaspoon of fish or soy sauce, and a small amount of agave nectar. I also like using Thai sweet chili sauce (I but a bottled one called Mae Ploy) and mixing in garlic and some chili (I like my food really spicy-- chili goes in everything). I also like making fruit sauces for meats -- throw in sliced green apple/ pluots and some white grape juice and starch cornstarch or dried cherries with some pineapple juice and a little corn starch for a fast and yummy sauce. Basil and garlic is always a winner too.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I make baked chicken parm using the skinnytaste.com recipe. I've also adjusted her recipe to use sliced tomatoes instead of sauce on it if I'm trying to save calories for the day and it's still delicious! Many of her recipes call for tenderloins so what I've been doing is cutting the chicken breast in 1/2 width wise. It's working well with my family so far and it keeps down my calories so I can enjoy stuff like chicken parm. Plus the dog & garbage can are getting alot less! Chicken in the crockpot with sliced pineapple and soy sauce is yummy too.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Yogurt marinated chicken... I'm considering doing a turkey this way for Thanksgiving

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/summer/r/yogchicken.htm

Edit to say- Please please please try it!!! It's fall off the bone delicious!

That looks delicious! Thanks to the OP for this thread xo
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a healthier or lightened up version of chicken parm since that's what you really want? Try this (I'm cooking for 1):

Dredge 1/2 a chicken breast in egg whites. (I cut mine in half because I have a stupid electric stove and if I try to make a whole chicken breast it rarely cooks evenly, plus a whole breast is a lot for me). Coat with whole wheat bread crumbs. Cook chicken breast (I just use Pam and make mine on the stove.) Once it's done, add tomato sauce on top, then top with reduced fat mozzarella cheese. Mine comes to 402 calories using 1/2 cup of cheese topping but it's probably less than that because I just sprinkle it on. :)

Meijer - Liquid Egg Whites, 0.5 Egg (3 tbsp) - 13
    Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted, 0.5 breast, bone and skin removed - 142
    4c Bread Crumbs - Whole Wheat Seasoned - Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs, 10 g - 37
    Kraft Natural Shredded Cheese - Mozzarella Low-Moisture Part-Skim, 0.5 cup (28g) - 160
    Classico - Tomato & Basil, 1/2 cup - 50

Total: 402
  • shayhouse5
    Options
    Love your recipe.sounds great...will try it
  • sabrakay1
    sabrakay1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    One of our family favorites is smothered chicken breast. Cook the chicken in the crockpot. Make sauce separately.

* 1 LB chicken breast
    * 1 can low sodium chicken broth
    * sprinkle of garlic powder

~Place chicken breast in the crock pot. Add the chicken broth. Sprinkle with garlic powder.
    ~Cook on low @ 8 hours

TOPPING:
    *One can Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup
    *One can Old El Paso green enchilada sauce

~Wisk the soup and enchilada sauce together. Heat on the stove until heated through.
    ~Remove chicken from the crockpot.
    ~Spoon sauce over chicken.
    ~Serve with white or brown rice
  • leanveins
    leanveins Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    Options
    Bump! This all sounds so yummy, and EASY! Thanks everyone, keep posting.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    I use 2 shot glasses of tequila, 2tbs of honey, 2tbs spicy mustard and a shake of red pepper flakes....pour in a large zip lock freezer bag add chicken marinade for 4-6 hrs...grill delicious

another favorite it so flatten chicken breast put a tbsp of laughing cow cheese in the middle roll up and roll bacon around it secure with a toothpick and bake at 400 until juices run clear.....YUM
  • tigersgirl
    tigersgirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump