joggers/ runners - What do you do this time of year?

Options
124»

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I don't go out at 6:00 a.m. when it's that cold. I only go out in the mornings in the summer. I avoid icy conditions. I'll run in the road before taking my chances on untreated sidewalks.

If it's below 20 degrees, I wuss out and find a cardio tape and hope to pick up my run the next day. I usually end up running in the afternoons in the winter (on the weekends) to get the "warmest" part of the day!

Do be careful with slick conditions! One slip and fall and you can be sidelined for months!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Why hello, Gym Membership that I haven't used all summer because I was running and being active outside! Nice to see the comfort of indoors, the line of treadmills, and the awesome view of the weightlifters! :bigsmile:
  • tubaman58
    Options
    You can dress for almost any weather condition if you don't have access to an indoor track..... the difficult factor is icy/slippery paths....
  • emotionalharlequin
    Options
    Get the gloves out! ;D
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I went out on my little jog this morning at 6am it was nice, frosty and only 1 degree, the first path i went down was fine but when i turned into the next street it was very slippery under foot, i kept going but at a slightly slower pace so not to hurt myself.

Im new to all this jogging stuff so my question is how do you deal with this weather and the slippery paths?

I actually continue to run outdoors. I layer with wicking clothing, wear my gloves and wear my balaclava (as I hate running in wool hats). I usually keep my runs to 3 mile or 30 min (whichever comes first) in colder weather. If the temperature is below 32, I work out indoors with substitute cardio routines or a walk at home dvd.

Under no circumstances do I jog when ice is on the ground. Even though I have ice cleats for light ice conditions and slicker conditions, I am a bit squeamish about running consistently when its icy.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Every winter I vow to run outside, and every year something side tracks me. This year I am determined that I WILL DO IT! It started snowing mid October here (sigh).

I'm terrified of slipping on ice and seriously hurting myself far from home, so I run on trails where it's more snow/less ice. I have yaktrax, tho I find I really feel them on my feet if I'm running on say a sidewalk and its kind of unpleasant. So far the biggest challenge is that it takes a lot more physical effort to run on snow, kind of like running on sand.

So I guess my tip is try and avoid the ice and track out a snowy route if you can. And get a head lamp (I wear mine around my waist, angled down to the trail)
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I do most of my running in a city park on a lighted path so the darkness is not an issue. I do choose to add layers as needed and hat and gloves are essential to avoid losing too much body heat. If it is slick on your running path, be sure to shorten your stride to improve stability. Winter running is more about maintaining conditioning than it is about setting new personal records. However, I have noticed that some of my quickest runs have been at cooler temps.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    However, I have noticed that some of my quickest runs have been at cooler temps.

No doubt there! One morning I got up to run, knowing it was way too cold, but I was determined to do just 1mi, just to keep my body in the swing of things. It was about -10F and sleeting. That was the FASTEST mile I've EVER RUN!! :laugh:
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Treadmill.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    About 35F yesterday. I wore capris, gloves and a sweatshirt, no hat, and was sweating so much that my ponytail was dripping down my back.

Below 30, I'll wear a hat and long pants. If the sidewalks are snowy or icy, I'll be getting plenty of exercise cleaning off my corner lot. :sad:

I had to take a good chunk of last winter off due to a stress fracture, and it didn't hurt my endurance or weight. If I have to skip a few days here and there because the weather sucks, I'll survive.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I moved somewhere better, warmer, healthier :)

Ok in reality hope you get some good advice and stay safe :):):)
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I run outside all winter. I made the mistake of running when it was 12 degrees and my breath froze on my mask and kind of burned my face. It was really windy that day though. 20 degrees with low wind is fine with me. You just have to wear the correct clothes...no cotton!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm training for the Goofy Challenge in January. I have to suck it up and run. I won't run on ice or snow so if I can get outside I'll brave the cold with my cold gear. Otherwise I get on a treadmill at the gym. Totally sucks but I want that bling so I'll suck it up!
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas, and this is the best time of year to go out and run.

*waves from Houston*

Agreed!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I run outside all year 'round, and our winter temperatures will get down below -35°C.

When running on slippery surfaces (and this can be snow, wet leaves etc etc) shorten your stride and watch your foot placement.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Layers, gloves, nice toasty socks and grippy running shoes...I love running in the cold...so fresh!
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Good Lord, that's cold! Where do you guys live?!?! Here in Chicago, it is in the 30s-40s F these days. I've bundled up a couple times to head out, but mostly just go indoors and use the treadmill. Not that exciting, but I try to change it up and do some interval training.

Good luck to you , and stay warm!

I think they're talking Celcius....so 1 degree C is 33 degrees F.

Hate to agree with a Packer fan, but yes, go outside. Wear a sweatshirt and light gloves.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Find a gym with cardio equipment.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I take it you don't live in Florida where it was 68 this morning...But on days it is too cold to run(50F), I go to the gym.

I used to live in Florida....Now in WI. To tell you the truth, I don't think I could run in Fl in the summer, I'd probably die. I think 45-50 is perfect for running - I know, call me crazy! But seriously, I hope I can run outdoors for at least part of the winter, got some good tips in a few posts as to dressing appropriately for winter running. My biggest concern is slipping on ice or slush/snow. Will try some YakTrax once it starts snowing and just try. If all else fails I will try to runb on the treadmill a couple of times a week. Also do Yoga 4-6 x a week and walk the dog at a good pace for 2-2.5 miles a day. Even in the winter. Oops, almost forgot, will have to use my snowshoes this winter, never tried it before :happy: